1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hello everyone from a wabi-kusa newb!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by janey, Jan 10, 2014.

1. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

I have been considerably lurking on here and thought I should creep out of the moss and introduce myself!

A few months ago I went for a walk in the forests nearby and discovered a beautiful patch of moss. Some of it looked dead, some was alive. I took it home and planted it in the first terrarium I was creating. Within hours the dead moss opened up and turned green! I was so amazed!!!

Since then I find myself looking at moss everywhere...and more recently I have also become lichen obsessed. Is it an illness? Can be a bit embarrassing at times:cautious:!

Anyway, next thing I am on the internet ordering aquatic moss of all things - not sure what happened there but I got a bit carried away I think!

So now I have to learn how to get the aquatic mosses to thrive. Next thing I am reading up on substrates, co2, water plants and even killifish, oh my lawd:eek: - bit panicked about it all, think I have overwhelmed myself somewhat.:p

Lucky for me I found this site. It's a huge font of knowledge, thank you everyone who contributes. I am quite relieved to find that I am not the only one who goes to bed with a head full of crazy idea's.:D

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Janey, Welcome to ASW :D What a fantastic introduction:cool: Nice to meet you(y) I am the same go to bed with a head full of ideas But i have started to dream about Wabi-Kusa as well :eek: And NO your not crazy:LOL: And yes it is a illness With no cure well i have not found one :D And if i did i don't think i would take it as i am happy the way things are ;) But the illness can be very embarrassing to other people who have no idea what we are talking of thinking about :eek: But never mind your in a safe place now with like minded people :giggle: No cure but lots of fun at ASW, Ho and all the top info about our hobby :love: Enjoy, Looking forward to seeing some of your work :)The Best way is to start a journal (y)

keithgh and janey like this.
  3. janey

Hi Greenfinger 2

Thanks for the warm welcome! Got to tell you I was up till 3am last night admiring your fantastic wabi's(y). I read it from start to finish. Very very inspirational for a newb like me - thank you for posting up your work. It made me laugh so much some of the things you have experienced on your planting journey, like how you are always looking for glass to plant in! I am the same - drives my hubby nuts! I LOVE your work...it's brilliant. :)

I will try to figure out how to post pics next week & start a journal. Really like the idea of that as it might help me improve my currently pathetic efforts!:notworthy: So far I have only done a little aquascape in a jar and a terrarium, both very amateur attempts, but the virus has taken hold bigtime.So I am going to do this until I master it at least a little!:D Now I want to combine both air & water. Hoping to get some keto clay but no one close to me stocks it. I called all the Bonsai shops I could find in Surrey today - no luck! :rolleyes: Got bogwood, moss, a few little plants waiting. So frustrating when one has so many idea's about what one will do with it!:mad: I sourced some in Kent though, so will drive out there early next week & then the fun can begin!:p I can't wait as I fear my head will start exploding if I can't get on with it soon!:)

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Janey

A very big welcome to ASW and the world of "wabi-kusa" Roy will certainly guide you through.

Its also great to see you are looking to nature for inspiration.

Can you fill in your location and country please.

Posting photos, one of the best methods is to use "Photo Bucket" its very easy to use and its FREE.

Once you can post photos you will learn a lot more and certainly a lot faster.

I also agree you should start your journal straight away.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, Thank you :D Glad you like my Wabi-Kusa :) Up till 3am :LOL: You sound like " Moss_Maniac"Evelyn & me Reading then thinking where did that time go :eek: But its fun at the time (y) You drive the hubby nuts :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bit like me with my wife but winning her over now its taken nearly a year though :D Never say you work is Pathetic :( We all start from humble beginning that's how we learn ;) Keto clay Great for w-k Substrate you can uses the stuff they use on running tracks too it could be cheaper than Keto clay but where to get it ?? When you go to Kent you must pick up some pebbles from the beach fab colour & shapes :rolleyes: I Am looking forward to reading your journal & seeing some of your work now :cool: (y)

6. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Welcome Janey,
    yes, it IS an illness!!!! :D:D:D ...but an interesting one. :whistle:

:eek: What a terrible imagination to go to bed one day WITHOUT a head full of crazy ideas!

You are absolutely right here! (y)

Curiously waiting with

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. janey

Thank you Keith and Evelyn, for your welcome. Keith I will try to work out photo bucket next week...my hubby says I am computer challenged! ;) That is a nice way of saying I am a numptey. I asked him to teach me how to do it, so next week I will be on a double learning curve!

I already feel very at home here - thank goodness I found this site as I have so much to learn and it is great to be with kindred spirits!(y) Evelyn you are so right - it actually would be terrible to go to bed without a head full of crazy idea's. What worries me slightly is that my ideas are about a 1000 times bigger than my actual knowledge! This has led to some near plant disasters I admit!:oops:

About 6 months ago I got the wind up my sail and decided to create a hanging kokedama 'string' garden in my bay window. I spent several days creating balls of bark & moss, and pantihose :oops: to try to hold them together. All my orchids went into these balls (12 in all!) which were then covered with sphagnum moss. They looked fantastic for about a month hanging in the window off the curtain rail! ( I removed the curtains!) Then the poor orchids started to protest! I kept trying, misting, soaking, speaking nicely to them :p but they were having non of it. They were a picture of kokedama misery! :eek: In the end I unravelled them and they all went back into pots breathing sighs of relief! Lucky I never killed them outright!:eek:

Roy, that's a great idea to go to the beach while I am at it to find pebbles! I never thought of that. With the floods having receded out that way, maybe I will find some nice driftwood into the deal, if my luck is in!:)

8. moss_maniac

;) You are well off Janey, you will learn.
    Realizing my ideas (for everythig in my life) is 1000 times more time killing than actually my life is long....:(
    Not to mention how to learn all of that... :eek:

But the journey is the reward! (y)

Wonder how somebody could go to the beach and come back with empty pockets... (n)

What a pity for your Kokedama Garden :(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  9. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, Good luck at the beach. And you never know there could be as you said some nice driftwood :rolleyes:
    Sorry to hear about you Kokedama :( But glad the plants survived :) I have given Kokedama a go with mixed results there harder than they look to do and keep healthy :( I will give them a try again this spring :) Its all a learning curve :D And that's the wonderful thing about this forum we all learn from each other what one member does not know another member will :D

10. janey

'Wonder how somebody could go to the beach and come back with empty pockets... (n)'

Me too...I did have a smile at Roy's suggestion to go to the beach - it must be a symptom of our illness! ;) When I am in the woods I am constantly scanning the environment looking out for bits and pieces. Last week I found a lovely piece of branch on an old dead tree. When we got home I sawed it in half and it had an amazing smell of camphor!
    Yesterday my daughter took our dog for a walk at the local river - I asked her to look out for interesting wood pieces. She found three and they look great! I think she has the eye!(y)Best thing was I think she enjoyed the hunt as she expressed an interest in learning about Wabi-kusa when she got back home.
    I promised her once the clay is here she could give it a try. :)

Now... if only my hubby was that easy to convert....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, Watch out your daughter will be nicking all your best DW pieces :LOL: She must have got the bug from you :D Hubby could be next to get it :confused: Unless he has a strong constitution :giggle: My grandson loves going on our walks to collect bits and bobs too :rolleyes: And wants to do some more W-K this year he has a natural eye for shape and form :) And he enjoys making his little W-K and i like watching and learning from him :cool::cool: Have fun and enjoy that's what its all about :)

12. moss_maniac

Aren't we all hunters and gatherers? :cool:

13. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, As to photo bucket :) Try taking a pic and putting it in a file on your computer in pictures (y) Then when posting click on the box upload a file this should then open your computer file. Click on the pic you want to post it works for me on this site but not on all sites .Just a though .Your hubby will know more :cool: :) Me and you are on a steep learning curve when it comes to computers :LOL: I am still in the stone age as far as computers are Concerned :(:D

14. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Janey

You sound like you have found a second home just remember the only treatment for this terrible disease is learn and keep learning then you will be able to help others.

There is one medication you can take its called Keep It Simple KIS you will be surprised how quickly your ideas develop into reality.

Keith:):)