1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

HC emersed help needed

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Garhan, May 2, 2008.

1. Garhan

Garhan New Member

Hello all,
    I am starting a 10 gallon tank. I would like to carpet it with HC. It is setup with a hardscape of rocks and branches. It hopefully will have an island apperance when it is done. My question is ..do you fertilize the HC while it is growing emersed and if so what do you recommend for a fertilizing method?

[​IMG]

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That's a good question. I have very limited experiences with emersed setups, however, I think you mostly fertilize the substrate with some sort of root tab, and then mist spray water every few days. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can provide some input.

-John N.

3. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Nice looking set up. I don't have any advice. Do you have a full frontal shot of your tank. I love your rock work.

4. Garhan

Garhan New Member

Here is one. I was inspired by a fellow here on this site with his bonzai. And see how our club is hosting the CAOAC show this year. I was asked to submit a 10 gallon tank. Our club is 99% African Cichlid peopel. So we dont see to many good planted tanks in our citiy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I like it i was wondering what you were going to do with that wood. I think this will turn out really nice.

6. Garhan

Garhan New Member

Thank you for the comments. With regards to the fertilizing here is what I might do. Here in our city a gardner is promoting the use of a home brew that he is marketing for terrestrial plant, both indoor and outdoor types. It is called Organic "Ultra Grow". The plant food is at a ratio of 0-0-4. Dilute 1ml in 1 liter of water. I will use distilled water. It suggest that you spray this on your indoor plant every time you water the plants. I will run this through a trigger -spray misting bottle for foliar feeding the emersed plants. But i think I will start by diluting this in half at .5 ml to 1 liter to begin with and see if there are any adverse effects. The substrate in here is a mineralized base with a sand topping, so hopefully once new roots are established the plants will draw much of there required nutrients from the substrate to begin with. And the foliar spray will just give an added boost to leaf developement. ***Maybe , will see*

[​IMG]

I have used this on my indoor plants for a year and it is quiet remarkable in that the plant leaves are very healthy and have almost a waxy shine to them.

Any thoughts on this is welcomed...

7. reybie

reybie New Member

I tried to do the emersed startup method but failed or did not have enough patience to do it. Our weather is getting too warm that it was almost impossible to keep the humidity in the tank. I had one end of the tank covered with plastic seran (sp?) wrap and the other end with a glass lid for ease of spraying. I went with it for almost a month... the first few weeks looked good but when the weather started getting warm, it went downhill from there. I recently flooded the tank in hopes of salvaging the remaining HC I have in it.

Oh, and to answer your question about fertilizing. I squirted 10ml each of my PPS mix in the squirt bottle and diluted it with water. I used that to mist/fertilize the setup together about 2-3 times a day.