1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

HAS 2012 Contest results are out

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Jurijs mit JS, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi folks,
    our croatian friends from www.hraquascape.org just announced the results of their first local aquascaping contest. Contestants had to keep journals for three months, so all of those scapes are almost the same age, which is kinda refreshing criteria in contest and makes comparing layouts more interesting.

Leonard friendly invited Enrico Serena and Jurijs Jutjajevs (which is me) to judge this contest. In addition to our scorings there was a public voting. Top works received a personal comments.

No long talk, please join me congratulating the winners and enjoy the photos (y)

#1 Pepi - Birch Forest
    Birch Forrest - 160l.jpg

#2 Dell - Goat Pass
    Goat pass - 175l.jpg

#3 Biobiofizicar - Sweet Passion
    Sweet passion - 6l.jpg

As they only announced the top 3 ranking you will all other entries in a random order

LP - Go Easy
    Go Easy - 63l.jpg

George - Amazon Rainforest
    Amazon Rainforest - 420l.jpg

Prodz - Hollywood Hill
    Holywood hill - 120l.jpg

Kojot - Ancient Trees
    Ancient Trees - 112l.jpg

Cann - Silent Hill
    Silent hill - 32l.jpg

Wickermann999 - Grean Stream
    Green stream -15l.jpg

Prodz - Smokin'in
    Smokin' in 10l- 10l.jpg

Here is a link to the original source http://www.hraquascape.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1183 you can easily change the language using the google translator build in app in the left side bar.

Attached Files:

2. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

congrats to all participants and winners - esp to my friend biobio:)

3. Enrico Serena

Enrico Serena New Member

Congratulations to winner and partecipants and to the team of hraquascape.org

4. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

#1 is magnificent and #3 has one of the best rock works that I have seen so far in aquarium.

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Does #2 have a curved back? Like a tank with the curved front turned around?

I have thought it would make an interesting perspective for tanks especially since the front would be narrower than the rear and make for an "expanding horizon" from a narrower foreground view.

I have to add there are some beautiful tanks in here. Everyone who participated in any form should be proud. Congrats to the winners and everyone else involved!

6. Eboeagles

Eboeagles Aspiring Aquascaper

WOW!! The winning 3 are exceptional. I love 2 & 3 in particular, they both have a feel of something different from the norm despite being instantly recognisable.

I think they are 3 of the best scrapes I have ever seen and are instantly going into my favourites folder.

7. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks to all. (y)
    It was very entertaining and illuminating to keep journal of contest tank for 3 months. Forum members were voting for overall impression about journal and tank -not only for final photo.
    Journals were so interesting to read. With comments, we were helping each other to improve scapes. Journals are full of “tips and tricks” and interesting discussions.

Pepi21 (his tank is #1) has been in an aquahoby for 20 years but it is his first aquascape ever...
    He run journal for very beginning (empty tank) up to exceptional final presentation with a lot of photos and very good video. It was interesting for us to follow how the tank and beginner aquascaper were improving over the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dellete (her tank is #2) run fantastic DIY project journal. She started with no tank at all!!! By herself, she made interesting corner tank. She made and painted hardscape too. Demands for her tank were to be light weighted (later it has to be move to another place) and to fit available corner space in a room. That was the reason she made artificial (not heavy) hardscape and such unusual shape tank. It was very difficult shape for scaping - but she did it!!!! Result was superb....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos of my 6 liter tank (#3) you can se here at ASW, too. http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/the-spring-is-coming.6456/

For the first time I was scaping so small tank. Idea was to experiment with nano and pico scaping solutions, and latter with different light effects (not only back light but with different main light positions and colors).
    I tried a lot of different light settings in attempt to catch lightning and atmosphere of seasons of the year (winter, spring summer, autumn) and different lightning situations in nature (sunset sunrise, midday, dawn, stormy sky, cloudy sky,....) . Some light settings were with up to 6 light sources around tank...
    In my topic, (here at ASW) I will put photos (at higher resolution) with some interesting light settings.
    For the first time I tried to make video presentation of tank.

It was interesting experience for all of us involved in such unusual contest: people that you were competing with were helping you to improve tank and to choose final photo. Overall impression was that we all learned a lot for such contest and significantly improved our aquascaping skills.

8. checo

checo New Member

Congratulations to all participants and also to the organizers of the contest. I liked the idea of ​​showing the aquarium from the start :)

9. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I have to admit, though I'm a vocal opponent to competitions, this is how I think they should be. The journal thing is brilliant and really should be rolled out across more.

biobio likes this.
  10. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

I agree.(y)

This might be a good improvement in a future of aquascaping contests.

Sharing own "tips and tricks", constructive discussion can enhance aquascapes of all competitors.
    For example, forum members from HAS helped me to solve problem with a gap in front left corner of my scape,... or Pepi21 put black mat background and removed it latter and started to play with backlight , which gave tremendous deepness to his tank, etc, etc,....

Also journal presentation of tank can be more complex, with more photos, macros, details, evolution can be monitored, and with short video overall picture about tank can be completed.

Tank is not just one final contest photo - it is so much more. It's an entire underwater world set in a glass box - It's alive thing... ;)

11. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

It also removes what annoyed me most is that it means genuinely good scapes place highly instead of just who can afford the best camera to take the best photo with. Too many are really little more than a photography competition where the subject happens to be planted tanks.

12. DiegoMarinelli

DiegoMarinelli New Member

Congratulations ....
    the first three tanks classified are exceptional. Congratulations to the organizers for the freshness of the idea, and to my italian friend, Judge Enrico Serena.
    Bye
    Diego Marinelli

13. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos New Member

Thanks for sharing the cool stunning pictures. I can see the artistry and creativity of the talented aquascaper.

14. l p

l p Aspiring Aquascaper

Just to update thread...because of this year's HAS Contest 2013, all scapes from last year's contest have been moved to our newly built gallery.

Check it out: HAS gallery

;)

15. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Well done All:) FANTASTIC SCAPES (y)(y)Cheers Roy