1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Harlequin Rasbora -- Breeding?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Lafataa, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

So the other day I finished putting all of my plants into my tank and a few more Harlequin Rasboras (Bringing the total to 5 in a 55g. I bought out Petco's supply...). I got my CO2 working as well as my light so I had everything all set when the fish was acting strange; one started to rub it's belly against a plant. I googled what this meant and found that when they rub against stuff they could have Ich. I checked the symptoms and saw no white "powder-like" spots on them so it couldn't be Ich. It stopped for a bit and did it again today. It seems that it's only 1 fish doing it. I googled again what it could have been and found out that when a female (larger than the males) rubs on the bottom side of a leaf (which was what it was doing) it's signaling that it's ready for mating. Sure enough one of the smaller ones (males) came up and did it right next to it! Also, that same one that's initiating the rubbing is being chased by three of my other Harlequins. So I'm 99% sure that they're mating! Hopefully soon I'll have a few babies swimming around. Good thing I planted a ton of Dwarf Hair Grass for them to hide in!

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Congrats on this! Take some pictures, would be cool to see the fry.

3. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I hope I can time it right. My question is... what do they eat!? I have to take pictures of my tank, but I have Dwarf Hair Grass as a foreground (4 bunches for a 55g is a decent sized carpet). Do I need to separate them from the adults or should they have enough places to hide?

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It is hard to say if they will have enough places to hide. The problem really is they are in an enclosed space and will have a very difficult time avoiding adult fish who may make a snack out of them.

Newly hatched brine shrimp are a good choice for fry, artemia.