1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hardscape help

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by raf25, Mar 7, 2016.

1. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I just put black cloth on the back side. Super Easy, and you can change colors any time. I like no. 1 most. It has more height.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't recommend painting.it gives a closed in feeling. Glass window frosting film is what I recommend. Colored LED behind that looks awesome

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

raf

Using the correct paint and applying it fully can be very expensive.

I would prefer either the vinyl or the frosting and choose which suits your tank the best.

I am not 110% happy with any but 1 & 3 have the best possibilities if I have to choose I would select 1.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. raf25

raf25 New Member

Keith: I'm not planning on painting my tank, I already applied a frosted window film to it, it's just hard to see in the picture :)

What would you change about the first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. keithgh

raf
    [​IMG]

Rock No1 is my major concern, all the other rocks have a pointy type of top surfaces but No1 has a flat surface and not a interesting rock.

I would replace it with No2 and place it a little more to the front and and left, try several locations to see what looks the best.

Space left by No2???

Get it re positioned best first.

6. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

my comment/suggestion above post:

sorry but i see no harmony with the present rocks arrangement.
    play again with the rocks layout and try to rearrange almost in the middle of
    your tank. leaving ample space to the front for foreground plant of your choice.
    it will give you the impression of a bigger tank and not overcrowded.
    just my personal opinion.

hi raf25, i did not confused you and i am glad you did ! and you are doing it right (y)

rocks laying is not that easy. you have to really spent sometime in doing it.

this is the first photo of your rescape. in my opinion, the main rock[big stone] should be slightly leaning to the right [@15 hrs]

the middle/front rock should be move toward near the main stone slightly off center left to enhance your focal point.
    [​IMG]

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

I painted the outside back glass with latex paint. It covered really well with 3 coats, but now I'm thinking of removing it to give a more open feel.

8. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

Ive got to say I thought the scape with the driftwood was very good. Shame you removed it :(

[​IMG]

ShadowMac likes this.
  9. ShadowMac

Great now I'm rethinking my thoughts on the wood too. Ha! You can always go back! lol

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

Gary Murphy likes this.
  10. ShadowMac

I think it was the planting that made me advocate for just stones

11. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

I can see raf25 wanted monte carlo as a carpeting plant. Maybe some Repens between the rocks and a couple of background plants that compliment each other? I just feel like this scape really is missing that piece of driftwood.

12. ShadowMac

He would need something tall in the back, taller than blyxxa. E. tenellus maybe.

13. raf25

raf25 New Member

Hahaha well I won't lie guys I keep questioning everytime I rearrange the scape. But I know my gut will tell me when it's perfect. It's definitely not something I want to rush through. I just found out I actually have to move again in about 3 months so I'm hesitant to even begin the planting, etc. until I'm moved and settled again.

It would be nice to use the wood since I purchased it specifically for the tank, but it's also not a deal breaker. I would love to have one of those mountainesque hardscapes that look like an underwater mountain range on a postcard. I think keeping the wood definitely throws off the scale of everything.

I plan on going back to my lfs and grabbing some more Seiryu stones because I'm not completely happy with the ones that I have. As far as plants I'm pretty open to suggestions but I would like to keep it simple, and definitely use Monte Carlo for my foreground carpet. I never had much luck with s. repens so I'm a little afraid to incorporate that. Last night I was also thinking it might be cool to try and grow some moss on top of the stones as well!

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. ShadowMac

I'm glad you didn't grumble too much with the resurrection of the wood piece! lol

I would skip the moss with the stone you have...at least not on top of the stones. You could tie it to small slate stones and use it in and among the base of the stones to mix up the carpeting look.

15. keithgh

raf

Until you have settled in your new location I would use the time by having fun with as many dry hardscapes as you can just remember to take plenty of photos as you play with the dry hardscapes.

Dantrasy likes this.
  16. raf25

raf25 New Member

Hi guys! It's been a while.

I let my mind rest in regards to my hardscape. My moving plans have changed again (landlord is waiting until lease is up for us to move so they can sell. They were planning on breaking it early) so I'm going to move forward with my tank since I've got more time.

I ran over to my lfs yesterday and picked up 2 manten stones, a large one to act as my main stone and a smaller one.
    [​IMG]

Here they are in the tank. What do you think about placement? I couldn't decided whether the large stone works better on its side, or sticking straight up.
    [​IMG]

keithgh, J Art and Dantrasy like this.
  17. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

rocks look good, but the front left side is empty. Get some rocks there! Overall theme looks like a mountain scape, created by two plates being forced together, and there is a lot of good motion in play. Let's see what Keith says.

18. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Looking good! @lucasgg brings up a good point about the left side, although a nice carpet of monte carlo on its own might look good as well. The main stone somewhat lacks a peak and has more of a plateau, but I'm not sure if that matters much. Keith will have some solid tips for you I'm sure. Nice to see you continuing along.

19. ShadowMac

without any hardscape or well established plants on the left side that slope will flatten out quite a bit. I would consider getting some stones in that area. Nice rocks, by the way. I've always wanted to get a hold of some manten stone. It is hard to find....and usually very expensive.

keithgh, J Art and lucasgg like this.
  20. keithgh

Raf

[​IMG]

Here are a few of the recommendations for you to consider .

Main rocky with a peak to you extra height

L&R&P rocks ??? could help in stopping slippage would be unseen by low plants.

Front ticked rocks to give you a general idea, larger seen or smaller hidden by planting

You can also make an under substrate retaining walls using slate then push the P,L,R rocks up to the slate low plants would cover every thing and give you more open spaces.

When you have the best rock placement take photos then you will be able to work from that.

J Art likes this.