1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hair algae!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pat7676, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Im getting some hair algae on the walls of my tank and on my plants. I know the profile says im probely getting it because of to much iron in my tank. I have been dosing the following:

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
    +/- ΒΌ tsp KN03 3x a week
    +/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
    1 Cap Full of Flourish 3 times a week.
    50% weekly water change

What should i cut out to get rid of this stuff the Flourish? I quit dosing Flourish about 2 days ago no sign of it getting better yet but it has not got any worse i don't think.

2. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

Maybe some excel. Ask Tom Barr on barrreport.com. He's got all the answers :). Its usually a CO2 problem, excel will take care of that. I don't think the the excess Fe is causing a problem. Try some excel and see what happens.

3. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Excess iron is rumored to lead to this algae, but, like Creighton, I don't believe it does. Having too much light for the amount of CO2 and fertilizers, or too little CO2 and fertilizers for the amount of light is more likely to be the cause.

4. Brian

Brian New Member

Excel kill al my algae at overdose 2X in 1 week. I has all algaes and excel kill all.

5. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Ok i will try some excel and see how that goes.

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Excess iron is probably not the culprit of Hair Algae. I've dose excess Seachem Iron (cap fulls from a 2L bottle) in my tanks when I was trying to get my red plants, redder. Hair algae never came, and I only noticed a slight difference in my Alternanthera reineckii getting redder. Eventually I ran out of the iron, and hair algae came later.

I'm would bet excess lighting (either intensity or extended photoperiod) causes it instead. Definitely use Seachem Excel to get rid of it. You can also try some of Tom Messenger's algae eater recommendations from his article on ASW Magazine.

-John N.

7. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Im think its either beard of fuzz algae. Do the same thing with these also?

8. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

Yep. Excel is the "cure all" of the algae world.

9. trenac

trenac New Member

Really!... I not very fond of the stuff myself. When I dose as recommended by the MFG in a non C02 tank, I still get algae. However I've never tried the overdose method, just to scary for me.

10. BPASCreighton

BPASCreighton New Member

Yeah, its pretty nasty stuff. But most algae problems are due to too much light and not enough CO2. Excel makes sure there's always enough C. But of course that is not always the case.

11. Brian

Brian New Member

the overdose of excel is the reason of kill algae, if you not overdose it the algae will stay

12. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Actually the best way to treat algae with Excell (IME) is to spot treat.
    You can get an eye dropper, or the dropper that you give kids meds with,
    or a fancy syringe, it is not that important (I use a long telescoping deal that is made to spot feed corals and it works fine for me, but not necessary) and then turn off the filter for a few minutes to get the water really still, and slowly disperse it in the spots you want to treat, a branch with BBA for instance, or into the middle of a hair algae patch. Then let it sit for a few minutes before turning the filters back on.

Now you still have to follow the dosage guidelines so it takes a few days to a week with daily treatments if you have alot of algae.
    That is why it helps to have something that measures ML's so you can get the dosage right.
    I usually do a single dose the first day, 1.5 dose the 2nd day, then 2 dose the third day and maybe 2 dose for a day or two, then ramp back down.

I have had some success doing this, but it doesn't always work, and if you have something really out of whack, it will just come back, so you do need to address the issue and not rely on spot treating of Excel for you algae problems.

Also beware, some plants will melt if you spot treat directly on them like Downoi has been a problem for me, I think Riccia doesn't like it but can't be sure.

I have also seen Amano shrimp death if done too much for too long.

So be careful, but it can be done.

13. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I did a black out its on day two now. Seems to be working good. The strange thing is that my Hydro Plants took off in the black out growing like 4 to 5 inchs in two days!!! I haven't gotten that much growth in like 2 weeks. Kinda strange any ideas to what made that happen?

14. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

My guess is the hydro was searching and reaching for some visible light. Did it get "leggy" in its growth?

Also more importantly was the black out successful at getting rid of the hair algae?

-John N.

15. Freemann

Freemann New Member

Allow me to say that one of the major mistakes we all do when we refer to algae in our tanks is talking only of it and not of the rest of the visual signs that will help others to understand what is going on in the tank.
    I would prefer to tell us what is the look of your plants-tank.
    Are all growing fine (yellowing, wrinkled leaves , white leaves, melting, white veins-green leaves, holes in leaves, old or young leaves affected e.t.c) (photos could help)?
    What is the clarity of your water?
    Is there scum on the surface?
    Is there detritus accumulating on top of the substrate?
    Do some plants refuse to grow or even fail everytime and which ones?
    Also it would be nice if you gave us total amounts in ppm of each fert you add daily or weekly by using a calculator so we will not have to do this on our own.
    OK let me summarize what I think-deduct (I reckon you talk of your 29 gal tank):
    • You add around 24 ppm NO3 weekly. That is a lot and can lead to toxic levels cut it down to 10-12 ppm weekly.
    • Bear in mind that K only from 10-12 ppm NO3 through KNO3 is not enough you should increase K levels in your tank by adding an additional 1 ppm K from KH2SO4 daily (by the way daily dosing are always better as are solutions and not dry additions).
    • You add around 13 ppm weekly PO4 that is a lot, 2,5 ppm PO4 at the most weekly is enough, at least for the initial stages then once the tank is stabilized you can tweak it a bit up or down.
    • You add 2 cups of Flourish, I reckon this is flourish trace, flourish trace does not add enough iron on its own you can decrease TE addition and add flourish iron as well to the tank (or you can use agricultural grade stuff for both TE, Fe, Greg's new ownership site stocks this). By the way I think TE, Fe are the least effecting ferts on the algae condition in your tank and they could only affect it only in combination with the rest of the fert situation.
    • You don't have to do 50% WC weekly if the tank has a healthy growth you can do 25% or even less depending on the looks of the water in your tank and the bubbling of your plants (do they stop bubbling intesively after 2-3 days from the WC or they keep on going hard all the time?).
    • Manging your CO2 properly is a good idea. The way I do it is thus:
      Use a cheap electronic Ph meter measure the Ph of your tank in the middle of the photo period write it down, take a cup of the tank water leave it overnight somewhere to degause the CO2 and measure it next morning subtract this value from the one you have measured in you tank it should be around 0,8 degrees if it is less increase your CO2 addition until you reach that value.
    • Do you have shrimps, algae eaters in your tank if you don't get some (cherries can do magic).
    • As long as tank is balanced lots of light will not affect the tank's condition but will even improve it (except if you want to slow it down).
    There is more you can do but it is better if you do things slowly and correct more as you progress. The above info can be of value to anyone I think.
    The important thing is to observe our tanks holistically, meaning take into consideration all the factors-observations and not only the final outcome algae in your case, once someone masters this and not observe haphazardly, then he is half there.

PS.
    Excel can be good if you want a spotless tank in relation to BBA, there can be traces of BBA even in super healthy tanks (BBA can survive in small amounts even in super healthy tanks). No algae killer stuff can resolve imbalance problems.

I hope this helps.
    :)

16. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Good info Freeman im am going to upload some pics of some of my plants tonight. I will also get all that other info that you have asked for. The alage comes and goes. I think something is wrong but i just can't find out what. So maybe giving you all this info will help.

17. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I don't know what i have done but seems all alage is under control now.