1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hair algae? in newly planted aquaria

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Chaz, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Chaz

Chaz New Member

So my tank is about 3 weeks old now, it's planted with stargrass and dwarf hairgrass. I've had a massive algea bloom of stringy, easy to remove brown algae, It's everywhere. I spend an hour cleaning the tank and removing as much algae as possible, doing a 70% water change and then the next day, it's creeping back again. it's hard to keep on top of. I was wondering if anyone new why? I'll list my tank stats below.

Also, some of the dwarf hair grass has some yellow strands, and the very tips and sides of my stargrass are yellow brown, just a very small rim around the leaf. Anyone know what this is? What deficiency?

My tank is 30L, 22W of light (lights are on for 9 hours), I'm using tropica 60 plant growth system and dosing 0.75ml of Flourish excel daily. my filter is ehiem classic 250, my subsrate is ADA aquasoil amazonia. I'm not currently fertilizing. tank is not cycled.

Thanks.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Chaz
    0.75ml that would be about 1 drop is that correct?

Can you post a full water parameters please, including your water supply.

A few photos might help as well.

How often are you doing the water changes?

Keith:):)

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

sounds like filamentous diatoms. Continue to remove it when it shows up and allow the tank to complete its cycle before doing anything drastic.

22 watts of what type of light? LED? T5? etc?

keithgh likes this.
  4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

sounds like diatoms to me too. I have that brown fluffy stuff all over mine at the moment. Can't wait until I get some Otos and or shrimp into it as that will be gone sharpish.

I suck up some at water changes. I leave the rest on the wood/plants ready for the inhabitants when they arrive.

kisanjong, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.