1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Hair algae already??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lee82, Mar 3, 2014.

1. lee82

lee82 New Member

Hi guys, just started a new tank cycling.

Now ive added hair grass, bocopa and rotala to start with as these were classed as easy beginner plants by tropica.

Now i did notice that the rotala did have slight hair algae on it after i planted into the substrate and i tried to get as much of as poss.
    Notice today roughly 36 hours after initial set up that some of the hairgrass and bocopa are showing signs of this already,very fine small hairs.

Now im worried as i really dont want this to become an issue from the start.
    Just wondering what i could do to nip it in the bud before im troubled with it?

Im doing a fishless cycle btw

2. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

What I usually do is bath "infected" plants in Potassium permanganate (KMnO4) when I'm starting a new tank. ( After that, I either leave them or take them away by hand. ) I have read that you can put some in your tank BUT !!!
    - any animal will die so don't do it with some in. I also do it when I sell plants and want to be sure no snails egg will survive.
    - 100% water will have to be changed (it turns out violet) and probably 2 or 3 times (to be sure none is left on the hardscape).
    - it is said to be tinting things easily ; not sure if it applies to glass or PMMA.

So, in your case, I'd take the plants out in an external bucket filled with water and KMnO4. Not sure about the exact dosing. What I do is add KMnO4 and mix until water has about that color
    [​IMG]