1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

GRRRR Going to have to trade in my redfront shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Danielle, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

little clear bastards that they are. :Blah:

they've stopped eating algae and refuse to touch algae wafers, micro pellets, and spirulina flakes my cherries eat. Despite always having algae and a spinach leaf available all the damned things want to do is eat perfectly healthy plants. They mowed down my Mayaca fluvitans like goats on an overgrown hillside... to the point that the plant just gave up and died and had to be removed. Now they are munching my Rotala.

I'd heard reports of them eating some plants, but in situations where they didn't have much other food available for them. I was told this same thing when I bought them. I make sure to keep food they like for them at all times and they STILL eat my plants.

Off to the local LFS they go.

Whats a good algae eating shrimp besides cherries? I love my cherries but I seem to have some algae that they just don't touch. Would a single amano be ok and not eat any of my plants? What about tigers or bees?

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Amanos, CRS, RCS, Bees - all great.

CRS are a little more visual, so consider that with your tank.

3. hooha

hooha New Member

I've heard the redfront shrimp being plant eaters, but prefering plants over algae....that sucks. They're pretty cool looking suckers :)

4. milalic

milalic New Member

They do like some plants...

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Any photos of your redfront shrimp?

I would go with a colony of at least 6 Amano shrimp for algae eating purposes. They do a wonderful job and won't take over a tank like Cherry Shrimp (in terms of population). They key is to get many amanos, because one single shrimp isn't going to make a very good clean up crew. :)

-John N.

6. Danielle

Danielle New Member

yes I have some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they really are pretty for such a plain looking shrimp. They aren't quite as clear as they seem but look blue, orange or greenish sometimes, with bright gold spots and deep red lines and of course the bright red and yellow noses. The pictures just don't bring the colors out.

7. Danielle

Danielle New Member

yay! I called the super nice LFS (not petsmartco) and they have amanos and will do partial trade for the redfronts.

8. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Very cool shots, I know the redfront shrimp as a Rednose Shrimp which is another common name for the species, Caridina gracilirostris. That's why I couldn't quite place what they looked like.

Lucky day, you'll enjoy the Amanos.

-John N.

9. epicfish

epicfish New Member

Mm, love my amanos. They do a great job with algae...and even clado, if you have small bits of it. ;)

10. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Hmm..I did not know about this problem and purchased them after seeing your pics of them Danielle..lol. Mine have not eaten any plants. They relish organic zucchini! I love them, especially one with long whiskers. Some of mine have quite a bit of color.

11. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hi!

I think as long as you keep them constantly well fed they won't touch plants. I tried cucumber and zucchini with mine and they wouldn't touch it. Only one of them would occasionally eat spinach.... and they refused prepackaged pellet type foods.

They do get quite a bit of color!

I stopped at the pet store yesterday and got 6 more CPDs and saw my old redfront shrimp. They were very colored up and happily cleaning away on a rock together. I almost missed them lol.