Growing Dwarf Hairgrass

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by JadeIceGreen, Oct 1, 2008.

1. JadeIceGreen

JadeIceGreen New Member

Hey All.

My first attempt with dwarf hairgrass failed, I know it is a pretty common plant for many of you so I am seeking your advice.

What kind of substrate is good for HG?
    How many inches of substrate is recommended?
    Are root tablets needed?
    Is HG light intensive?
    How many HG can I plant together as a clump?
    Do HG melt away and grow back afterwards?
    And any other stuff you think I should know.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. =)

Sponsored link:

2. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

I would think any substrate would be suitable for growing hair grass. Since the dwarf hair grass will grow a thick sod over a period of time, I would recommend a substrate depth of 3-5 inches. Root tabs are not really needed since they are not really heavy substrate feeders like crypts are. You could pretty much grow dwarf hair grass in medium to high lighting, I've never tried growing it in low light before so I couldn't tell you that. Normally dwarf hair grass is best planted in small clumps about a pencil lead size; plant each small clump about an inch apart. As for melting, I don't believe it melts, although it may turn brown but eventually you will get new runner growth.
  3. JadeIceGreen

JadeIceGreen New Member

Will it grow in inert quartz substrate?
  4. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

It can, but I find highlight + high nutrients are a must for it to spread like wildfire.
  5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I had hairgrass in inert lapis sand and ADA soils before. The one at ADA soils grow very fast, much faster than lapis sand. I guess vertile soild does help.
  6. StanChung

I've seen it grow very slowly in soil as well so it's not really just soil or sand issue but rather the USER issue, whether he/she understands the plant's needs and is giving it without need limitation.
  7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

i planted my hairgrass in ada aquasoil with a lot of light. I fert every day with ei index and it is growing like crazy ;) if you post your stats, we maybe can better help you.
  8. JadeIceGreen

JadeIceGreen New Member

Thanks all for the replies, it has really helped!
    I'll give HG a go again and will update on how it is. =)
  9. waterman123

waterman123 New Member

Hi everyone! I have a question about growing hairgrass too...

if I were to plant hairgrass as a carpet in my tank, how would I clean out the subtrate? I use a siphon cleaner and stuff to clean my subtrate and the water, so I don't what I would do if I had hairgrass covering the subtrate.

So what do you guys do?
  10. StanChung

Hi Waterman,
    I turn off the filter, pat, comb and use siphon that has a large diameter cup.
  11. waterman123

waterman123 New Member

Ok thanks! That gives me a pretty good idea what to do. I'm new to the forums, and am planning on finally beginning on aquascaped tank.

I had my first try with aquatic plants in my last 40 gallon tank, but it didn't go well. Mainly because I kept an oscar, which destroyed most of the plants. Secondly...my tank broke 2 weeks ago. The bottom shattered (it was an old tank) and the water destroyed all my carpet.

So once I repair the damages I will hopefully get my tank started! It's going to take more than 40 gallons of water damage to stop me!
  12. StanChung

Good attitude and enthusiasm. :D Sorry about the crack. Happens whenever Murphy's law decides to apply itself. Had a 250G drain real quick on me. Practically a mini tsunami. haha. [experience to laugh about!]
  13. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I had a 250L with hairgrass all over, and I had problems with cleaning the bottom until i used this method.

Turn off filter, Cut the grass almost all down, vacuum the bottom real good and change water.
  14. JadeIceGreen

JadeIceGreen New Member

I am still having trouble with HG in my 1 gallon tank. Hmm. Is there a minimum amount of water that you guys think I should try to get success in HG?
  15. Jurijs mit JS

I´m thinking about to change glosso in my current tank with hairgrass.

do I need to clean the bottom to prevent melting?
    if so - how short do I have to trim it down? are 2cm enough?
    and what do you mean with "vacuum the bottom" ?
  16. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

I've grown very dense Hair grass in Flourite and in Lapis lustar plain aged sand 2-3mm (dozens of SFBAAPS members saw this what? 11 years ago)
    with EI dosing.

I also have some grow extremely well with Kitty litter and sand cap.
    Obviously it does well with ADA aqua soil alone.

The main issue I think folks have with it that fail is not due to the type of sediment, clearly it does well in each type, I've had experience in about every general type, but rather, a decent consistent supply of nutrients and a lot of CO2. Good CO2 makes most of the issues folks have "go away".

As long as dose somewhere (sediment and/or water column), you should have no trouble growing this plant.

Now for the folks claiming it needs high light.......
    Here's an ADA tank at 1.5 W of T5 lighting.

Seems to work very well.

[​IMG]

As far as adding more light, well, that means faster rates of growth, not something everyone obviously wants, good stable managed growth is easier to care for over time. If the rate of growth is "everything", then add lots of light, lots of CO2 Gas and lots of nutrients and lots of plants from day one.

The above tank is very stable and very very easy to care. It gets a trim about once every 2 months or so, gets neglected etc. If the light was increased, then it would need more care to look nice.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Regards,
    Tom Barr
  17. JadeIceGreen

JadeIceGreen New Member

What a great looking HG lawn. This has inspire me to try HG again for my new 1 feet tank.

What is the proper way to plant HG? Individual stems like when planting HC? And how much distance apart between each stem?

Thanks!
  18. Jurijs mit JS

i would plant 3-5 single plants together - that helps to get more runners to complete the carpet and as little distance as possible - or it will take longer to complete the carpet.

imo 1-2cm distance are ok

@ Tom Barr
    how short do you trim your hairgrass?
  19. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

I have faced the same problem growing HG on Sand and laterite. I am using EI method light is 5.5WPG in my nano. Hm is bursting out with growth but HG is almost stand still. As it is a 1 feet cube, I was using DIY CO2 for that.
  20. dannyfish

dannyfish New Member

i growing hairgrass in gravel type
    55 litres

DIY co2 = 1.5L x 3 bottle (Co2 checker show green - more than enough accordingly to the instruction manual)
    Lighting = 24W x 4 T5
    Dosing method = CaNo3 = 0.75tsp
    K = 0.75tsp
    P(Fleet Enma) = 2ml Mon wed fri for NPK

seachem flourish = 1 cap tue thur sat
    ferrous glounate = mixed 1tsp dry into 250ml water and dose 5ml tue thur sat

is my dosing ok? sufficient?

still my hairgrass is not growing .... mostly brown off ...although can see some new runner but too little runner...
    i did trim the hairgrass a bit ...cut off those brown hairgrass too...

But surprisingly my java fern is growing well can see new runner all over the old leaves...

Any advise?