1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Grey Epoxy or Grey Silicone?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Section' started by what1911?, Mar 21, 2016.

1. what1911?

what1911? New Member

I am planning to build a bunch of miniature rock walls in my next project and I need something that looks vaguely like mortar to glue them together with. Yes...this will take a while. I've looked at grey epoxy, which SHOULD ( but may not be) inert after a weeks curing. I've also looked at grey silicone but I cannot find any information on what is or, more importantly, is not in those produces.

Anybody know anything? Don't want to go to all that work and kill the little fishies and plants.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

what1911?

To start off with select the products that you would like to use and contact the manufactures technical people and talk to them.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

Most silicone, if not especialy labled as aquarium safe is not for use as longtime submersed and even can contain anti fungal contents. Colored aquarium safe silicone, no idea if it exists, most like not, it's something you'll rather find in the bathroom section, which silicone is always anti fungal and deadly for your tank.. :)

Rather use epoxy, epoxy has one negative side, it gloses like hell, which makes it submersed very unatural.. So you should seal it with exopy and strew prefered colored sand over the final layer, to give it a natural colored non glossy appearance.. :)

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. keithgh

what1911?

That is the reason for my reply, if the manufacturers cannot assist you no one can, Marcel have given you some good information.

5. MarcelM

In Know reefbuilders use something like TEC7 kit, it a polymer instead of silicone comes in color... In pond construction often for rockscaping waterfalls or rock borders around the pond etc. they use a grey color construction foam instead of mortar.. All are inert when fully cured..

Search for "pond construction waterfall" or "Reefbuilding" or "Building aquarium background" you'l find loads of DIY ideas and products used.

6. keithgh

7. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

Is this for us to connect every stoe or glue itu to aquarium?

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

8. MarcelM

I'm not rely into this section with Aquascaping, only have some experiences with ponds and (mini) landscaping around it, like waterfall and or fountains. If you're into DIY building hardscape for your fish tank or glue parts together, you rely should search the reef building and pond landscaping communities, there you'll find several products which are used and since it consernes ponds and salt water tanks it also is safe to use in freshwater aquarium. Some products need to cure first others even can be used straight away in existing scapes to repair things.

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/aquascape-construction-epoxy-coralline-algae-colour
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-ultra-coral-kit-adhesive.html
    http://www.touch-n-foam.com/landscape-foam.html

I've used the touch-n-foam and silicone to create a waterfall from one pond to another once cured it is inert and does not affect water parameters. Its biggest advantage it's black. :) Can be cut, sanded into shape.

You can also use regular aquarium safe silicone kit for bonding rocks together or cover surfaces. Silicone is petrol based product, so you can delute it with white spirit or paint thinner depending where you want to put it on. Then you can delute the kit to a jelly like substance thin enough so you can apply with a brush. Put enough in a jar add white spirit and keep stirring and adding till you have the desired viscosity. :) The only thing you should do to hide it away effectively is to throw a hand of small crushed lava rock/grit over it when it's still wet. Something like Fuji sand, it comes in very small grit sizes and it's black or other kind of crushed lava/pumice in other colour or use sand. Once it is cured brush the excess material off and there will be very little silicone left in vision.. The advantage of using lava grit is, it is porous and in time can be covered with mosses or other vegetation, its porous structure has better surface area for vegetation to attach compared to sand or silica rock grit. This way I even hid away patches of ugly black pond foil which where in vision, nothing grows on pond foil, once covered with a very thin layer of silicone sprinkled with lava grit it collects debri and nutrients and mosses can grow on it. (y)

Anyway applied like that there is actually no need for coloured silicone.. just cover it.. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  9. keithgh

I have used the aquarium safe silicon on a multi coloured Aquarium backing then pressed 1-3mm natural gravel on to it to give it the natural look once it aged it looked very good.

MarcelM likes this.