1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Greetings from SLC

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by KatieK, Aug 23, 2013.

1. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello,

Just joined the forum, but I've been reading it for a couple of months. I didn't want to join till I had (most) of my set up. All I'm waiting for is my Aquasoil. Apparently, there is some sort of port strike in SF and the container is stuck in a back log. Meanwhile, my mossy rocks and I are waiting patiently. Once I get the soil, I know I'll be needing plenty of help.

Other than that, I stumbled into this culture much like everybody else; I started with fish and a few live plants. I must say that I wasn't too satisfied; I knew there was a way to make a better looking tank. I was searching aquatic plants, I think, when I stumbled onto the competition in Japan and that led me directly to this forum.

Due to the research I did on the website and largely on this forum, I have a 33 gallon long tank, an Aquatop filter, LED lights, and some mossy rocks sitting on some rags so as to not scratch my tank.

I think that's about all for me; can't wait to start my tank and utilizing this forum for its intended purpose.

Katie

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Katie, Welcome to ASW :DHope Your Aquasoil find its way to you soon :whistle: Enjoy:cool:

3. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey there! Randy here- I live in Salt Lake City!! Good to know that there are others with the same interests! Talk to me when you can and hope to hear from you soon! Best wishes---R

4. KatieK

Hi Randy, It appears there aren't too many (active) members on the forum, but from what I can tell the hobby is pretty popular in the valley. I know I'll contact you with lots of questions, especially when it comes to where to buy plants. Katie

5. randy0319

My sources for plants are "fish 4 U" on highland Dr. past 40th south(great place! friendly people-tell them Randy the aquascape guys sent you)., pet co sometimes, Aquatic plants . com , ebay, Aqua bid, and The auctions at the Great Salt Lake Aquarium Society club. Plus I have trimmings to just give away when needed. Let me know and glad to meet a fellow enthusiast. Talk to me soon---R

P.S. I use CO2 tanks with regulators, atomizers etc. let me know if you want to try that route....

6. randy0319

P.P.S. check out my aquascapes posted in this site to see what I have done and what you want to do with your set-up....best wishes---R

7. KatieK

I have never elicited the friendliest reactions from the people who work at Fish 4 U. However, I like the people at The Aquarium on 9000 south. That being said, I really haven't started, seriously, thinking about plants yet; I've been focusing on equipment; I really need some help with CO2. Do you have any advice for what I should use on a 33 gallon tank?

I will look at your tank journal right now. I'm going to start a journal on my tank shortly because my Aquasoil is supposed to arrive today. I'm really excited, bordering on anxious. I have took a few pictures that I want to use as inspiration for my tank.

Katie

8. randy0319

No problem. They have tot get to know you a little at Fish 4 U but they have the best local plant selection around here. With CO2 I would start by going to Aquarium plants . com, then go to their search bar and type in "CO2 regulator", then choose the "Milwaukee 957 model". It is a bit steep at 88$ (100 ish$) for S&H but well worth it. It is the most reliable and will fit on the CO2 tank well. It comes with a solenoid that you plug into a timer so that you can automatically turn off the CO2 at night when your tank needs bubbled Oxygen. Oxygen should also be on a timer. The next purchase is getting a 'Brewers CO2 tank' from Universal cylinder. a ten lb tank is 60 $ but will last one -ish years before needing refilling (15$) Their phone is (801) 908-7988 on 1839 so 900 west in SLC. You will also need an 'atomizer' from ebay and tubing. Once you have all of this stuff then I can help to install it. Plant bulb Lighting is also a necessity. I did this set-up for my 8 tanks. It took a while but is well worth it. Once it is all installed it is pretty self sufficient. You could also go the brewers yeast method where you use Pop bottles,glue, tape, tubing, yeast, sugar, etc. but I tried it and ended up paying more for yeast and sugar in the long run then CO2 and equipment. You could also go the non CO2 route. There are plants that will grow just fine without the high tech stuff but they will grow ALOT slower and still need a few ferts and lighting. Let me know how it goes. best wishes---R

9. KatieK

I've read that about the DIY CO2 systems. The employees at The Aquarium were trying to talk me into a DIY model made by, I think, SeaChem. Then, they were telling me that I wouldn't need much CO2. It finally came out that they were primarily saltwater aficionados; that the people who took care of the fresh water and planted tanks had left quite a few years ago.

So, I have a CO2 tank. I need to get the atomizer and regulator. Do you recommend a drop checker? Maybe best since I'm new to planned tanks.

BTW, my AquaSoil finally arrived yesterday. I made a huge mess with it. I think I'm going to have to start over today and , hopefully, start my journal.

Katie

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  10. KatieK

Turns out, I'm nervous to start my journal. Everyone's pictures are really high quality. Our amber was stolen at the beginning of the year, so all I have is my phone.

11. KatieK

Oops, camera, not amber.

12. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Katie,Sorry to hear you had your camera stolen :( Don't Be nervous To start a Journal its not about the quality of your pics;) A camera is only a tool to take pics so we can see your Scape :) Aquascapes always look better in real life anyway (y) Top quality pics are only needed for competitions ;) Looking forward to seeing your journal