1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Greetings from Indonesia

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by redfred46, Jul 6, 2016.

1. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and started reading (and learning) straight away.
    My aquariums in the past have never been more than tanks with goldfish or arowanas in them. And yes, kept both species together once and resulted in, well....a total massacre of the goldfish . Lesson learned.
    Stumbled upon aquascaping a few months ago and decided to give it a try and so far, I'm happy with the switch.
    [​IMG]

This is my first shot on planted tanks and I'm sure it leaves a lot to be desired. Wish I found this forum a bit sooner.
    It'll be months before I can set up another tank due to quite a few reasons (finance to name one), so pretty much stuck with this one. But hey, hello from West Java Indonesia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

redfred46

Welcome to ASW its not as bad as you think the cost of improvements would be very little.

First syphon all that white glarey substrate out and replace it with a dark coloured 1-3mm Substrate.

Once you have done that get a few medium to small rocks same colour as the new substrate and scatter then around to give it a more natural look.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

Thanks Keith...yes the white substrate part do look like a shiny dance floor now that you point it out.
    I'm thinking about darker color substrate for that part of the tank, but still lighter than the elevated part of the tank. Maybe light brown?
    This tank will be my pilot project before committing myself to things like pressurized co2, aqua soil and the likes

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

redfred
    That is a very good idea learn as much as you can first other wise you will be heading for one disaster after another disaster.

Just remove that white first no need to disturb the other parts of the tank.

As a double check tell us every thing about the tank, size, as well as the capacity, the filter and medium, heater/s plus, a full water parameters test and how it was done, also a full plant and inhabitants list.

5. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

Tank size:40x30x25 (cm)
    Light: Diy led, 10 watts
    Filter: 2 small HOBs forgot the capacity. Jap mat, bio ceramic rings, active carbon (will be removed after tank matures).
    Haven't checked water parameters yet.
    Substrate: local volcanic sand, quite commonly used for aquascaping here.
    Some rocks I actually picked up from a river bank not far from my house. DW taken from my dad's old dead bonsai.
    Heater: None, average temp 25-27 degrees celcius. Thinking bout making a diy mini fan to cool it off a bit.
    Here goes the plant list:
    -Anubias nana
    -Buchepalandra "sintang"
    -Willow moss (on DW)
    -Java fern (yes I live on the island of Java but sadly I had to get my batch from my lfs)
    -Java fern windelov
    -Java fern needle leaf

Inhabitants:
    -5 cardinal tetras
    -5 amandae tetras
    -10 fire yellow shrimps
    -3 nerite snails I think

Going to wait a few days to get myself some darker sand. Most lfs or shops I know that sell decorative sand and or rocks are closed.
    We're on holidays here in Indonesia, pretty much like christmas
    P.S. thanks for fixing the title Keith

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    keithgh and J Art like this.
  6. keithgh

redfred46

Thank you for posting all that information.

You might be able to get enough stones even the small ones from from the river and give them a good cleaning first.\

You would be surprised how good an Aquascape can look if using all small river stones, hunt around at the garden suppliers will be a fraction of the cost compared to the LFS.

redfred46 likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to ASW!

redfred46 likes this.
  8. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00RD using Tapatalk

9. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. And Keith, here's a pic that I actually tried to copy for my tank[​IMG]
    Very different tank dimensions, yes, and not to mention skills.
    But I fell in love with how the set up mixes "wild" and "clean".
    I don't know, what do you think?

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

redfred

That is a very good guide to work towards there are several major difference mainly the height and the slope working from the LH end, a small amount of white and, kept clean to perfection plus it looks like its been done by a very experienced Aquascaper.

It would get a good score in any competition.

11. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

My "next month" project, to somehow work the slope by making some rocks with moss attached on them. Still thinking bout either working to make a slope or going the other way by making a cliff. A smooth transition or a big drop.

12. keithgh

redfred

That sounds great but learn as much as you can first then it be very easy to do.

13. redfred46

redfred46 New Member

[​IMG]
    Keith, will this substrate suffice? Same volcanic sand with the elevated part but finer grains. About the rocks and moss, still doing my homework on it, hence "next month" project. Still googling the pros and cons of fissidens/weeping/java moss.
    Pheeeewww got too many things I want to do to the tank. Better slow down or I'm sure It'll end up as a big pile of everything with nothing too look at.

14. keithgh

redfred

I would sieve (large kitchen sieve) it first to remove all the fine dust then give it a good wash this will help when you replace that white substrate.