1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

green water

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gavinsons, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I have noticed i have been getting green water. Every day it gets worse even with the uv sterilizer. I have never had green water before. The tank never gets any direct sunlight or sunlight at all. I think maybe the lights are being left on for too long each day. the lights are on a timer set for a 12 hour cycle. Guess i'm just a little confused since i have never had green water before. Any suggestions or comments will help.

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

how many watt is your light? Normally green water cause buy intense light.

Is your UV rated properly? Certain wattage for certain water flow. I if the flow to fast and wattage to small then there is not enough time for UV light to sterilize the water

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

.how mature is your filter?

i only got greenwater with a new filter...

4. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

what shadow said is through. Wattage and flow is important. Try changing the water 50% daily for 1 week. If still persists clean out your filter.^:)^

5. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

i just cleaned the filter 2 days ago, and the flow of the uv sterilizer is set at 150 gph. The filter is about a year old, it's a fluval FX5. As for the lights i have 3 lights of america florex security lights mounted in the canopy. Got home from work today and the water is now green and cloudy, maybe it would be a good idea to change the media in the filter. Thanks for all of your comments.

6. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Hmhm, it does sound like a prooblem. Try adding some "green away" solution and change your filter medium. Only add the 'green away" after you have changed the water and medium.^:)^

7. littlefish

littlefish New Member

8. royvd

royvd New Member

i have the same problem.
    but in an early stage the water was still whitish cloudy.
    first i thought it was just dust from the soil because i just purned the plants and took some out of the soil.
    so i waited for it to sink down but instead i got worse.
    i was startin to get green.
    after posting on some forums i discoverd i had green water algea.
    now im doing the black out move to hope prefent the water from getting green.
    i think the problem in my case is that i'm using an nutrition soil.
    and to much elements came in the water to fast.
    does this sounds reasonable at all (apart from my english :) )

9. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I think i figured out my problem. some of the leaves on my older plants were dieing and clouding up my water. Its still a little green but has been getting better since i pruned some plants and took some other out. Guess my sand substrate is not fertile enough to support plants yet even with root tabs. I'll try again in a few months when the sand gets more fish waste mixed into it. Thanks for all your suggestions

10. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Well done, Gavinsons. You have found out what the problem is. Often enough, we make mistakes in aquascapping. The main thing is not to give up. I am now doing a total blackout on my tank to get rid of my blue film algae. Let's see is it works.^:)^

11. royvd

royvd New Member

also did the blacko out for 4 days to get rid of the green water algae.
    and it workt!!!!
    crystal clear water again!!
    but i'm a little scared that when that whenever I need to prune plants i end up whit green water again...
    what do you guys think??
    could it be that because the soil that I use is still fresh and because the pruning of the plants there was too much fertilizer released?
    and that caused the algae boom??

12. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

So it was just green coloration and not any algae?

If it was a green algae, specifically green water, a black out is usually the best way to go. But since you have a UV sterlizer working, it sounds like it was excess green pigmentation and your filter wasn't clearing it out quick enough.

If you still have the green color problem, pop some Seachem Purigen in the filter and you'll have the water sparkling in no time.

-John N.

13. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

hi i am just wondering why some of my colleagues in this hobby would like to have green water in their planted tanks while some sorried about GW.

can anyone please explain why so. what beneficial GW will do to the plants?

14. Shadow

Maybe you should asked your colleagues why they like green water.

I do not like it for obvious reason:
    1. Does not look nice
    2. Blocking the light
    3. Blocking the view

I do know that those goldfish breeder like green water but not for Aquascaping people

15. speedingorange

speedingorange New Member

I've had a Daphnia colony going in a spare tank to feed my microrasboras and Pygmy Corys for about a month now. Those fellas go through green water like crazy, i cant make the water green enough fast enough. ( i have a bucket of water with ferts in on a window sill that is so green you cant see through it and i inject a healthy amount every day into the daphnia tank)

Has anyone tried adding daphnia to a tank to clear green water... ok a lot of them may get eaten. But they wont die in the tank as they are fresh water critters, and as I said above they clear super green water within 24 hours.

16. Shadow

Never try that but glad to know, thanks for sharing