1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Green Water - Let it run its course or diatom filter?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bernynhel, Dec 12, 2012.

1. bernynhel

bernynhel New Member

I was under the impression that a diatom filter, used correctly and temporarily, will remove green water algae but I haven't seen any mention of diatom filters on this site and the algaepedia only suggests letting it go for 3 weeks, to run out its life cycle. Its a tall, (26"/66 cm) 55 gallon tank and the thought of avoiding a manual cleaning is very enticing. Any diatom filter users out there?

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

They're a mask for the problem rather than fixing the root cause but as a quick way of clearing the haze to allow you to sort out the root cause it's a useful tool.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

3. bernynhel

bernynhel New Member

Thanks, that. As far as the root cause what Ive read says that the root cause is unknown and that it occurs in newly established aquariums, as is mine, and the best way to be rid of it for good is to let it run out its 3 week life span. I checked the link you provided and, although they have theories, the theplantedtank.com seems a bit hazy on the root, as well - though I prefer their remedies (diatom filter and cut willow branches!?!?) to just letting the mess culminate for 3 weeks. My suspicion is that my new Aquatic Life T5, 4 lamp lighting system's excessive default timer settings (55 gal aquarium, 2 x T5 39w 10000k - start 9:00 - end 17:00, 2 x T5 39w roseate - start 8:00 - end 20:00) were, at least, partially responsible. In any case, with daily cleaning the bloom is still daily even with drastically reduced lighting times. I ordered a diatom filer - just to have on hand, mainly, but I was moved to order it due to this algae. If it doesn't clear it up I guess I let it run its 3 week course.

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Well the cause is ammonia spikes and too much light etc as outlined on James article which was compiled with the aid of the Barr report and is still the bible for concise information on algaes. The cut willow method comes from a forumer called Dusko and it seems to work though how, I couldn't tell you!

The other thing is unless your tank is very wide you only really need 2x t5's over almost every standard sized tank and will still be able to grow everything couple that with anything more than about 6 hours for the first few months of a tanks life and you can easily run into trouble. It would also be prudent to check your dosing and increase the co2 if possible as there's a lot of factors. The filter will clear it I'm sure but it'd still be an idea just to do some troubleshooting.

5. Jeff5614

Jeff5614 New Member

A few years ago I had a green water outbreak that I attributed to an ammonia spike after a major uprooting. I used a DE filter coupled with large water changes every other day for a week. The DE filter was very effective at removing the algae from the water column and coupled with water changes to remove the ammonia, the green water was gone in a week.

6. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

If you have light or CO2 issues, you'll get other type of algae problems after the GW is addressed. Hiking up the CO2 from the current level and reducing the photo period as well number of bulbs as Garuf mentioned is definitely something you should consider IMO. That's for current and possible future problems. Then tackle the current problem. Frequent (every 2-3 days if needed) water changes should help reduce the ammonia content in water. Also add more plants if you have. They take up ammonia for N (why waste the "food" with a diatom filter) as well as allow biological filter to be established faster (with root development).