1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Green Water Algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by briene24, Feb 18, 2011.

1. briene24

briene24 New Member

Good morning All

Hope you all are fine this lovely morning :)

Just wondering if I can ask you for your expert advice please :hail:

I started my first project named "One Tree Hill" exactly just 7 days ago. Now I'm having Green Water Algae issue (so early?). I'm thinking the caused of this is maybe the cap/gravel I used to cover the top soil is too big and releasing too much nutrients?

I replaced 90% of the water the other day, and then the next day the green water starts to appear again.

What will be the best solution to resolved this? Just let it go for now till my plants established or to redo my project and replace the gravel with a smaller sized stones or maybe sand?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I had a similiar issue show up in one of my tanks after it had been established for some time. Luckily I had an UV sterelizer that I hooked up to the tank and ran it for a week, no more cloudy water.

Most don't have that equipment, so I suppose water changes of 50% regularly could help. You may just have to wait until it becomes more established for it to clear up, IMHO.

Nutrients don't cause algae and is not an effective way to combat it since we want to grow plants and plants need nutrients. Algae can survive and grow within low nutrient levels that plants could not grow. You should be looking at other issues, in cases of algae blooms, such as CO2 and lighting.

I don't think the gravel size is an issue. I think it is just a young tank and it needs time to mature.

Do you inject CO2? How much light do you have?

3. briene24

briene24 New Member

When you said 50% regular water change, is that everyday or once a week? sorry I'm a newbie :p

No Co2 and single T8 25watts tube is what I'm using, currently I'm only turning the lights ON for 4 hours at night plus a bit of sun light in the morning.

4. ShadowMac

maybe twice a week. I really think the problem is it needs to cycle, establish a good healthy colony of bacteria.

Running your lights for probably 6 hours within the first week or so should be fine. Eventually you could have it on for 10.

give it some time.

CO2 would be a wise investment at some point. Although, not necessary as there are great non-CO2 approaches with proper plant selection.

5. briene24

briene24 New Member

Will do 50% water change twice a week for now ..

I'm thinking of doing a Co2 DIY system on my next project, but if green water algae persist on my current one then, that will be my next option :)

Thanks ShadowMac!

6. ShadowMac

How is that green water coming?