1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Green Spot Algae, possible low phosphates?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Laurystevens, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

For a while now I've been getting it...it grows on the glass in patched areas and on very old leaves. I also get a type of algae which looks like a longer threaded version of common algae (if that makes sense) but it doesn't look anything like hair algae or beard/buish algae. Just looks like overgrown common algae...this is growin on the gravel and on the Echinodorus plants and similar...

I haven't got a phosphate testing kit...should I get a Salifert one? I've always know Salifert to be most accurate?

400 litre tank (UK) .I've reduced my lighting from x3 Aquabeams and x2 54w Sylvania (8 hours per day) to x3 Aquabeams (plant ones btw) and x1 54w Sylvania. I am now dosing Seachem Phosphorus along with approx 5ml of each of the other products except Nitrogen at 2.5ml instead and Excel at 10ml.

Any ideas so I can be on the right route to recovery to stop it growing so mad. I understand I should have a lot of test kits and probably a Co2 canister. I'm mainly after the more likely cause (from what information I can give) of what I can do to keep it under control.

Sorry for the bad info and thanks

2. Rhay80

Rhay80 New Member

Hi there I see from reading your post I'm guessing that you are no beginner to this game. But try reading a couple of articles from this thread. I have found them extremely useful and will refer back to them on many occasions. I hope it is of help to you.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/March-2008/Magazine/Methods-to-Prevent-Algae.html

3. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

I've been involved with aquatics for years and loved the plant side of it most. I've done basic studies on aquatic plants but not algae. I know that light, Co2, nitrate, phosphate etc are generally key to playing a part in algae growth but have never understood how to balance it correctly. Thanks for the link :) really handy!

4. Rhay80

Rhay80 New Member

Also have a read of the Barr report. He explains how he has grown algae to find out which deficiencies cause it to bloom. Sorry haven't got the link to hand for that. Although it is on the forum somewhere. :)

5. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

Thank you so much :) You've been a big help :) I really appreciate it!

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide
    Easiest guide to comprehend out there, the barr report can be "clique" with noobs because the info is very in depth and scientifically based, I think of it as an advanced resources forum championing the scientific method.

It's also worth considering that it's almost always low x y or z that causes algae, never an excess, the most common cause is low co2 and people believing the dogmatic chant that phosphates, iron and nitrate cause algae, these are simply not true, insufficient quantities of these VITAL elements are what cause issues.