1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

"Green Canyon"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ghostmonk, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

This is an abrupt start for a new tank thread. My custom made "180p" (72"X18"X18") has been rescaped and running for 2 months now since I broke down the old one

This one. IAPLC 2011 rank 403 :proud:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I some how lost all the setup shots I had taken so none to share at this moment but the specifications are
    Tank: Rimless 100gal (custom made)
    Substrate: ADA ASII (normal & powder)
    Filtration: Eheim Pro III (had 2 units. I broke. One has been sufficient but added a Hydor pump to added circulation)
    Light: 4 39W T5HO for 8 hrs/day, 3 150w MH (6500K) for 2 hours during mid-day
    Flora: Elatine Tiandra, Fissidens fontanus, Mini pelia, Flame moss
    Fauna: Cardinal tetra, Emerald eye rasbora (this is very lightly stocked at this moment to accomodate the fish from my other tanks to be housed temporarily. Now that they are gone, I will introduce a bigger school of cardinals soon)
    Hardscape: Local rocks from Tennessee. Not sure what they are but the guy who provided said petrified wood. Not sure of that and it did not affect the PH or GH either.

This is a shot from last weekend after 2 months of growth and a good trim on the elatine.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the poor picture quality.

2. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Perhaps going for a more essence and less complex layout would invoke more powerful impact? The tank is nice shape for these types of layouts.

Find really good rocks, less complexity perhaps.

You might buy a rock tile saw also, then you can cut the stones flat on the base etc.

3. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

duplicate

4. ghostmonk

Hey Tom, I have to admit I totally did not understand your point w.r.t this tank :%3. Are you saying it is very complex? less impact? needs more essence? Or just a contextual statement? I usually try to recreate some of the natural landscapes I have seen. This one is an attempt to recreate a scene from Mc'kenna's Gold that has been long ingrained in my brain. Just tried to give it a twist by replacing the dry foliage in the movie with some green ones :)

Regarding rocks (hardscape in general), finding good pieces takes time, so I normally try not to alter them so that I can reuse them in different positions in different setups. Customizing it for 1 specific layout might result in loosing some interesting details that can be re-used or even the fact that repositioning them elsewhere might require additional work to hide the engineered ends.

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I think he's alluding to the adage less is more. I certainly feel there's too many focal points, the far right, the negative space in the mid-left and the twin peaks off centre mid right fight each other and give a strange visual tension that spoils it a bit for me.

6. ghostmonk

Ok, I would completely agree with that (just was not clear from Tom's statement). It is probably 3 or 4 possible layouts (with separate focal points) that can be made out of this.

But I am a big lover of wide angle landscapes with many details in it that I love to browse from one end to the other. That's probably what reflects in my works (some of them at least). I specifically got this 6 ft tank to try these type of layouts. The more traditional designs are for my smaller tanks.

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I love those wideangel scapes, they are different from common NA style and more difficult to execute properly.
    Keep up the good work :proud:

8. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hi ghostmonk,

first of all i love the selection of rock :proud:. but i have to agree with the other guys. the tall twin rocks are wrong placed. i would move them behind the rocks in the middle left, like you did in the right side, let the place where they are now as an open space.

9. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

maybe because they are the same size, possible to burry one of them deeper or lift the other higher to change appearance?
    But this is only little critique, the scape is still evolving so until the final shot it will change anyway.

Have you ever tried to capture this tank with a wide angel lens? this should look kind of freaky amazing :%3:rock:

10. ghostmonk

Thanks guys. All critiques are welcome. I can reposition most of the background rocks easily without disturbing anything (except the substrate) in the tank. Most of the elatine is still covering the foreground and the moss are either attached to wire mesh or directly to the rocks. But before trying anything physically, let me try doing some virtual re-adjustments that can be critiqued here before I make any changes at all in the tank.

Juri, I had taken wide angle pictures of this tank before. But they did not come out as I expected. I am still trying and learning to use that on a tank like this and if I get satisfactory results, I will probably do my photo shoot of this layout with a wide angle. My biggest challenge is getting the details. In a tank this size, all the finer details of the moss and elatine (or HC in the previous scape) are not closely as prominent as in real life. Tried different settings, lenses, lighting but not that crisp result I see in some of the other professionally photographed tanks. May be the details are too small to capture in a full tank shot, but hopefully there is a way, otherwise it is a shame that I cannot share it exactly how I see it in person.