1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice
  1. jmorgan

jmorgan New Member

Has anyone used grapevine in their aquariums? Is it safe for fish? Just wondering. I saw some at a pet superstore for use in a reptile cage and thought about using it in my aquariums.

2. trenac

trenac New Member

I've heard of people using it in their aquariums. But the drawback is it easily grows fungus due to it's soft nature.

3. CherylH

CherylH New Member

Grapevine wasn't exactly a happy time for my tanks. While both give off tannins (it's starting to seem like forever), I'm a lot happier with Malyasian driftwood and Mopani wood. I'm sure others will chime in with other types of wood that work well.

4. jmorgan

jmorgan New Member

Thanks folks for your replies. I appreciate them.

5. Vojs

Vojs New Member

Grapewine is an excellent driftwood, becouse of its color, texture and it can be found in various kinds of forms.

I have used grapevine in my tanks since I started aquarium hobby, 15 years ago. In that time, other kinds of driftwood could not be found in Serbia. An now I still use it, all driftwoods in my tank are grapewine.

It is true that fungus can develop on it, and that it give lot of tanins, but only when it is fresh.

Before putting grapewine in the tank it should be placed in hot water, washed and bark should be removed, after that it should stay submersed for couple of weeks in a bucket or whatever. After this treatment it is totaly safe to put it in the tank. Trust me I had breed discus fishes in tanks with grapewine!

6. Vojs

Vojs New Member

7. Garhan

Garhan New Member

I have used grapevine (Home Grown) in several tanks. I also, like any other wood let it soak to over come the issues you mentioned.

[​IMG]

It has now been setup for almost 3 months and have had no issues. It is a great wood to work with and can be shaped due to its plyable nature into many shapes, easily.

8. XPLOSV

XPLOSV New Member

I have use grape wine for long now never have problem.
    Just make sure you clean it really well.

9. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

i also used some grapewine in my last scape, i bought them from an terraristik shop and they were "sand-radiated" so they had no bark or crust ..

one thing is - they can leech ammonium and if there is a part looking outside your tank - as it was in my last case i got on this part some mushrooms - because it began to rot at this place. so try to escape o2 contact.

After 2 years i rescaped the tank and removed the grapevine. My ancistrus loved it - so there was not too much left after 2 years :D

Just be sure to prepare it like Vojs said and maybe check time to time your ammonia lvl - that you can react if it begins to rot. also when your tank start smell bad it can be an indicator that the grapevine is roting.

good luck