1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Good number of Apistos?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by HatchetHaven, Jul 13, 2008.

1. HatchetHaven

HatchetHaven New Member

Well, in my 48gal tank I am planning on having Panda apistos... aright, I already have 2 (1 Male in QT, and 1 Female) and I can readily get another female. I heard they do best in trios, but what have you had best experiences with? Pairs or trios? And, would it be a good idea to add the second female before adding the male to the main tank? I've never had apistos before (Or come to think of it, I have never owned any cichlids before now!) and I don't know how it would work out.

Thanks!

2. altaaffe

altaaffe New Member

You should be able to house 1m & 2f in that size of tank. That ratio will ensure that a single female will not be harassed constantly by the male. Provide areas of cover for the females to set up territories at either end of the tank and they should then be able to co-exist themselves without too much trouble.

3. HatchetHaven

HatchetHaven New Member

Thanks! I read that each apistogramma female occupies a 30cm sqaure in the aquarium, and my tank is a meter long so there should be room. I have a feeling I know where the territories are going to be!

Can I add one or the females after the male goes in?

4. altaaffe

altaaffe New Member

Personally, I'd add the male after the females. Give them a chance to settle in and settle their differences before he arrives.

5. HatchetHaven

HatchetHaven New Member

Well, I have 1 female right now, and the male is in QT but the QT the male is using is going to house a Betta (Arriving on Tuesday!) and you can guess what happens if they cross over. I can get another female on monday, but in order to get into the large tank before the male is forced to move in she won't ahve a QT. Even so, she would be from a source I trust (The same place I got the male from) so it may not be 100% necesary. I think that's what I'll do - the current female doesn't even have a territory so it should work.

6. Brilliant

Brilliant New Member

When I first started the articles said the Apistogramma are polygamous. I dont doubt it but my fish have always made pairs...kicking out any others. Ive yet to see a trio.

If you have adult fish I would suggest only one male and female. Unless you want to take the risk of losing the fish that doesnt pair.

I start with 6 or more young fish grow them out and wait for the pairs to form. I relocate the pair or remove all other fish once the pair is formed.

Utimately I would like to have a large enough tank where I can have a colony of Apistogramma...but after seeing two "tiny dwarf" males make a 48 inch tank look small I begin to wonder what size tank it would take.

7. HatchetHaven

HatchetHaven New Member

Update: My filter has been a problem - the apistos found a way in (Fixed it!) and 3 managed to get in there... 2 didn't come out. So, I am down to 2 females. Would it be a good idea to get 2 more males then to make a 4?

8. Brilliant

Brilliant New Member

I would get one male. Unless I had another tank to relocate the outcasts for another potential pair.

I have an update of my own...I took notice that more then one female is resident in my 36 inch tank. Perhaps I am on my way to seeing my first trio!? I can forsee many females in my 48 inch tank but only a single male. It seems to depend on the fish, some of my males lived together without females but some of my males were intolerant of another male in the tank.