1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Golden Gates

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by TryHardDutchScaper, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TryHardDutchScaper

TryHardDutchScaper New Member

First and Foremost I would like to point out this is a want-to-be non traditional Dutch aquascape.
    Plant List

-Bacopa
    -Anubias Nana
    -Ludwigia Rubin
    -Ludwigia Repens
    -Vallisneria Italia
    -Pearlweed
    -Java Moss
    -Cryptocorne balanse
    -Ludwigia Arcuata
    -Brazilian Pennywort
    -Marsilea? something..?
    -Hydrocotle Japan

Equipment setup
    HOB filter (Tetra Whisper PF10)
    Aqueon Preset Heater 50W (75 degrees)

CO2
    -None [​IMG]

Fertilizers
    NilocG liquid DIY EI fertz

Tank Maintenance

I do 50% water changes every week, siphon up gunk on the filter intake. Scrub algae. [​IMG]

Current Tank situation For the Fluval Spec V

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kabriolet likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

TryHardDutchScaper

Its a very unusual aquascape it reminds me of boundary fences with plants around a lawn. It's a pity as it does not hold my interest for very long.

Keith:cat::cat:

TryHardDutchScaper likes this.
  3. TryHardDutchScaper

Hello keithgh :)
    In regards to your "boundary fences with plants around a lawn" meaning it looks so straight im taking, Its usually not like that. I just trimmed everything down and Mowed the carpet to the ground. Image the carpet about 1 1/2" thicker and puffier giving it a wild theme and untamed. Its all currently regrowing :) Same for the Ludwigia rubin/repens in the right corner, just underwent a very large trim as it used to be hitting the surface of the water growing emersed partly. Another reason for your reaction of the Line could be the tanks length, which is triple (if not x4) the width of the tank.
    Here are some pictures of the tank while I was trimming last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your input
    Nate

4. keithgh

Nate

Yes every thing looks so neat and tidy, the visible white substrate does not help either. Are you going to leave it as it is or do some thing in the carpeted area Rocks and Driftwood etc?

5. TryHardDutchScaper

I Always found driftwood (at least online) to be a waste of money for some types, I can find some tangled roots in my backyard (30 acres of trees and wilderness!) But I generally avoid driftwood in my tanks as, I just am bad with it. Difficult for me to scape with them, not saying aquascaping is easier for me with or without them lol. When the carpet fully fills in I most likely wont add anything. The white sand substrate will not be visible once this occurs. The effect of the scape is a sloping hill, without anything to technical other than fertilizers. In my vision, proving; that not every work of underwater art needs fancy things (co2 for example) that nature itself does not provide. Currently I am however suffering from a mg deficiency, or at least that's what my ludwigia's leaves are telling me. With the waviness and curling. I would like to add though, compared to other tanks im am not going for the wild look, more manicured.
    Thanks
    Nate

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. keithgh

Nate
    Collecting DW is the easy part the biggest concern is it a safe species to use in an Aquarium that is the main reason for saying the LFS is the safest way to buy the DW.

Rocks are easier the only thing is it should pass the vinegar test unless you want a hard water tank.

http://www.aquariumtips.net/beginners/aquarium-plants-nutrient-deficiency.html

https://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/JBL-ProScape-Fe-Microelements/125412/

Another member might be able to assist you in what will cure your concern.

7. keithgh

Using what you have here are a few simple well trimmed Aquascapes You should be able to collect plenty of suitable rocks in your back yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TryHardDutchScaper likes this.
  8. TryHardDutchScaper

Thank you for the pictures Keith :) Always can use them for inspiration, present or future.
    About the driftwood you are a hundred percent correct, and since I have little experience using it and im a deep research kind of person; I would definitely be careful. Especially since in my area of the country we have sugar locusts. Hurt like heck. had to go to the hospital just recently because of one, stepped on it and it went 2" or so (obviously didn't measure) through my foot!
    Rocks aren't however new to me; have been using them since the beginning, however I don't just go willy nilly into the yard picking up rocks and throwing them into the aquariums. I am what I consider OCD and would have to have the rocks matching; for example if it were a round river stone, then I would need another river stone if I just didn't need the one. I couldn't use dragon stone mixed with seiryu for another example.
    In Arkansas we have really hard & alkaline water, I don't think it could get any harder here! :unsure: To bad our well water isn't a nice PH of 7.5 and is intermediate... Oh well
    Nate

9. keithgh

Nate
    Tetra Whisper PF10 Aquarium Filter 5-10 Gallons.
    How many Gallons is your tank? remembering its an empty measure. Your substrtae could account for about 5% +/-of your water capacity. I hope you have removed the Carbon as its not required once the tank is setup, its an excellent product to use after treating the tank with medications.

You might be able to use a "Peat Moss" in your filter that will soften your water.

Water change can you do 2 x 30-40% twice a week that would be far better than one 50% a week.

10. TryHardDutchScaper

Good mornin' keith!
    I just want to firstly state since you thought I had carbon in my filter; I am not new to planted tanks, fertilizers, the works. But I will be new to Co2 (got a GLA five pound tank w/ regulator)
    Just to clarify and answer your question no I don't use carbon, in place I use bio sponge - and filter floss, filter floss I tend to keep in there for a full month then change it, bio sponge I have never changed and its been about six months; readings are all the same. I try to keep my nitrates around 20, if not a steady twenty.
    PH: 7.8 (high, like this all over in AR)
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 18ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Peat moss as I know releases many tannins into the water and that is something I don't look forward to. The tank has been up like I said for about six months, (well 1 year plus but sixth months with my tryhard aquascape) I don't feel the need to make chemical changes, As its all "settled" and the inhabitants don't fare well to change.
    About the WC's im just curious; why 2x a week? I have always heard (on TPT) fifty percent a week is better; don't waste as much fertilizers and there is nutrients still in the water column in an abundant amount. The tank is five gallons, with substrate I would say its around 4 or 4 1/2 still.
    Thanks
    Nate

11. TryHardDutchScaper

[​IMG]
    Pic I took tonight, the other one I posted was from a week ago when everything was "unsettled" in this pic all the plants are settled and facing the direction with most light.
    Received another shipment of NilocG DIY EI fertilizers. That should get the plants going again. :) not that they weren't before (trimmed once every week 1/2 :()
    changed my dosing regime to the plain jane
    Micro-
    B- 0.09ppm
    Cu 0.01ppm
    Fe 0.50 ppm
    Mg 0.11 ppm
    Mn 0.14 ppm
    Mo 0.0038 ppm
    Zn 0.03 ppm
    dGH 0.02

Macros:
    N- 7.5ppm
    P- 1.3ppm
    K- 4.27ppm

12. TryHardDutchScaper

Just took some photos; trying to get good at the photography. Have been "trying" for several years lol.
    PhotoDump

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What Better To Practice On Then Shrimp?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes the corys are moving into my sixty five (soon to be)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taking pics of the CPD's since they are so fast is a pain in the butt, anyone have any advice? I use a Canon Powershot SX30 HS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vandal Gardener likes this.
  13. keithgh

Nate

When I had the HOB filter I only used Filter floss which was washed at every water change, I never fully replaced it if I did it meant a major bacteria problem, what I did was take out a little filter floss (the older floss) every time. At every water change I always used Seachem Stability this always gave me a very healthy bacteria.
    This is just a little high the recommended level is under "10" the bigger water changes and a Bio Starter would certainly reduce that. Think about the Filter floss this will also help that means no more mini spikes.

One 50% is excellent but two 30-40% gives you a bigger water change overall. I am only speaking from my practical experience over the years, one thing I did notice very much was my plants grew a lot better and practically zero algae on the Anubis which was the main plant in my tank.

All OK there.

I used Seachem liquid ferts every day water change or not in other words no difference plus fert tabs every three months.

14. TryHardDutchScaper

Thank you for your reply Keith! Good advice.
    Im actually not having mini cycles (well maybe its, a man made one) I've been adding the nitrogen through a separate fertilizer. Will stop doing that and keep it a steady 10ppm. Instructions on my NilocG fertilizers say fifty percent a week, reason being is so there is always excess micros/macros in the water column for plants to use. Just started this so im still experimenting. As for filter media I personally, would say im good as I have no problems (other than the 20ppm of dosing nitrogen manually) with parameters. I do clean the filter floss once a month, do not replace it though but every 2 or 3 months.
    Edit: Forgot to add that this is a Fluval V and im giving it double filtration, built in filter (no carbon) and the hob.

15. keithgh

Nate

This is what I would like you to consider changing especially cleaning and replacing as required the filter floss.

16. TryHardDutchScaper

change it once a month? I have no burden with that, as long as its the "right" thing to do lol will have to research more on that

17. keithgh

Nate

This is where you will have the "Spike" as you are removing all your good bacteria from your filter. That is the reason for using filter floss and only replacing a very small amount as required.

I would still clean it at every water change this will help your filtration to work at its full potential.

18. TryHardDutchScaper

I don't think I will have a spike still if I where to take the whole filter floss out, this is a Spec V and im using double filtration. There is a built in filter and a hob I put on there for backup. but ok ever water change it is, doesn't bother me :)

keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

TryHardDutchScaper

That is one of the reasons I always had the UGF. When I cleaned the big Eheim canister filter every thing was washed in clean running tap water then double strength Seachem Stability. If I did not have the UGF it would have meant clean every thing in the old tank water which is no where near as clean as cleaning under a running tap.

20. TryHardDutchScaper

So I trimmed the ludwigia arcuata, sold some as well, got pretty big. Also glad I trimmed it to look more bushy...
    [​IMG]