1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Gold Fish as big as a (big) Dog

Discussion in 'The Aqua Lounge' started by John N., Sep 8, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Real or fake? I figured you guys might get a kick out of this article.

A goldfish as big as a (big) dog

This just in from the "strange but probably true" files. Fisherman Raphael Biagini reeled in what is believed to be a 30-pound koi carp in France, where the fish are quite popular. The fish, a vivid orange, looks a great deal like a giant goldfish. The photo is several months old, but it's buzzing right now, thanks to an article from the U.K.'s Daily Mail.

[​IMG]

Not surprisingly, Yahoo! searches on "giant goldfish" are currently soaring. However, it's important to remember that this guy only looks like a super-size version of every child's first pet. And, for the record, Mr. Biagini, who has caught many a giant carp in his day, returned the orange fish to the water after having his photo taken.

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

Of course, some people may look at the photo and scream, "Fake!" And, indeed, the Web is full of stories of altered photos. However, from what we can tell, a fish this size and this color is possible. According to Ken Peterson, communications director at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, this isn't out of the realm of possibility. If a koi has the right amount of food and enough space to grow, he says, there's no telling how big they can get.

Indeed, koi carp have grown a lot bigger. John McCosker of the California Academy of Sciences points out that, according to FishBase.org, the largest koi on record weighed almost 90 pounds (like the orange fish, it was caught in France).

While it is a bit odd that the fish doesn't appear to be struggling, McCosker explains that this kind of fish isn't among the most wild. And the fish's color, while striking, isn't all that unique. Check out this photo from a Japanese garden in Long Beach, Calif.

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

Still, there are those who don't believe the photo is real. Many commenters to the Daily Mail story point out that the fish appears to weigh much more than 30 pounds. One doubter writes that the fisherman is holding the fish the way somebody would hold a 1-pound package.

— Mike Krumboltz is a Yahoo! writer.

2. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Kois are Kois, Carps are Kois and Kois are carps! Goldfish is goldfish but a koi is not a goldfish although it is a high breed of KOIs!! Have I been confusing you guys enough?^:)^

3. John N.

Yes, you were quite confusing. :loco:

For the record, I think the giant goldfish/koi is fake in the photo above. Just look at the way the guy is holding it; it's like he's holding a box. Not to mention, if someone took such a high quality photo of his catch, wouldn't there be more photos from different angles of this mysterious catch?

-John N.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I think the first one is fake - because of the facts John mentioned, the second one looks more real.

5. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Goldfish evolved from Kois and Carps. Now that is less confusing I hope.^:)^

6. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Oh by the way, the largest Goldfish I have held is a 5 kg goldfish. That was is a Goldfish from in DongGuan in southern China. Being a friend of the Lou Fish Farm owners has it's advantage. They have shown me some beautiful hybrid Goldfish of various colours and species. The 2 outstanding one I saw was a black and white Ryukin and a Blue Lionhead except that the Lionhead cap is totally RED and the whole body black. When I say Black I mean pitch black.^:)^

7. BioLogic

BioLogic New Member

Its real for sure! Koi are Cyprinus carpio - exactly the same thing as a bog standard carp! Althought here are very few bog standard carp in Europe anymore where they are referred to as "wildies". Most of the carp have been selectively bred to gow bigger with a deeper body shape - as can be seen in the second pic. I have seen koi easily topping the 30 pound mark. What makes the fish in the first pic look a fony is the bright colouration! Other than that it is a real fish.

And for the record, goldfish are not bred from carp or koi for that matter. Goldfish is Carassius auratus and is closest to what is known as a crucian carp Carassius carassius!

8. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi,
    For me is something very wrong with this foto. I understant nothing about Koi and Carps but the fact is that the way this guy is holding the fish is not natural at all. Fake!
    :boo:

9. John N.

Agree 100%.

I'm not sure how much a fish like that weights...but that guy has tiny, tiny arms. Surely if it was real, it would be heavy. I really doubt he would be able to lift either fish by himself.

-John N.