1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Glasswere, why not plastic

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by TYB, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I was replacing the sand in the front area of my discus tank. Old one I vacuumed during a water change and the new one I was adding with a spoon and somehow I only touched the lilypipe with the spoon and it has broken in two parts :((

(New one ordered yesterday :-" )

Sponsored link:

2. Karlo

Karlo New Member

Are you not afraid that it brakes somehow when you are not at home and it flood your room?

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

well, in germany we have an insurance for every possible case and my parents have done one for "aquariums" as I started with aquariums 10 years ago :)

4. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

hey jur4ik, can you find out how much it would cost to ship to Germany from California? your choice of shipping, i just need a general amount in case i decide to go international shipping for sure :)

i thought i may as well post the pros and cons of each while i am here :)

glass-

pros:thin, easier to make a "lily" shape, DOES NOT TURN OPAQUE
    cons:fragile, expensive

acrylic/polycarbonate-

pros: strong, cheap, and as clear if not clearer than glass, DOES NOT TURN OPAQUE
    cons: thicker (but does mean handles more abuse), and flare cannot be made large like glass.

CONS FOR BOTH-

they both will accumulate algae and gunk over time, but can easily be cleaned out with the right brush.

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Jurik

Opaque is when the clear 'plastic' starts to turn white. A bit like the CO2 hose or diffuser suckers after a while. CO2 has a habit of doing this :)

I use the cheap flo pipes, dropped them several times but no breaks :)

AC

6. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

polycarbonate/acrylic pipes do not turn opaque

7. Supercoley1

Good to know ;)

8. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

soon i will have to buy glass pipes to show comparison of the accumulation rate of algae and gunk in the pipes over time between acrylic and glass. :plane:

9. Supercoley1

Why would it be any different if they are both clear?

On the same note someone over here was trying to belittle glass as getting algae laden the other month in one of the magazines. What they failed to understand is that if they have algae problems then it will happen. Mine never get any green in them, same as the tank, no algae.

They get gunked up but are cleaned monthly just like I had to do with the plastic attachments that came with the filter.

Would the smoothness of the surface play a part in the gunking up? As in which is smoother glass, acrylic, plastic?

AC

10. TYB

TYB New Member

My tinking starting this thread was not to bag on anybody or glas vs. plastic, simply, I like anybody else would love to get the glas stuff but there is no one selling anything related to scaping stuff in Sweden

No ADA stuff or any glas lily pipes at all of any brand...some dude has the franchise on Eco-complite, I don’t think he is interested in that at all, he is a strict Marin aquatic store...I have hade an e-mail exchange with him, got a reply that they are comming but are out right now...it’s been comming on 3 month now...geting some? NOT! You can get some Tropica stuff but that is it. ADA...forget it...Lily pipes, no way, so I would settle with any plastic knock of, of any kind that would look good in my tanks.

There was/is an other point I tried to make, starting with aquascaping can put on a strain on the wallet...geting fresh people in to the hobby maybe tuff if they allways have to start with bad looking stuff...if you can make an “good looking cheap watch” you would be able to get good looking cheap scaping stuff...witch can later down the road be changed to the top of the line stuff. On my spare time I am an Karate instructor and my beginners always opt for the cheap Karate uniform (Gi) when they start but real soon they all want the nice expensive stuff...instead of selling one Gi I have now sold 2, this is good bussines...if I had tryed to get them to get all the spendy stuff from the start they maybe had opted for mini-golf instead...I would like to start with plastic, I have 12 tanks that I would like to have looking “good”.

Am I out there or do I have a point?

TYB

11. Supercoley1

My glass in and out pipes were off ebay and came from HongKong $45 / £25 for the set including shipping :)

AC

12. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

the smoothness of the of the material is very much related to gunking up. the rougher material will have the most gunk/algae accumulating on it because the algae and gunk will have room to root into the rough parts. i have no idea which is smoother though.

13. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

1 Month back suddenly I bumped with one Glass Blower and told him about these glasswares. When I told him, he can earn few extra bucks making these stuffs for hobbyists, he became interested. Now he is producing knock offs of ADA lily piper, Drop checker and bubble counter. And the price is lesser than 1/10 th of ADA products. :D

14. TYB

TYB New Member

tirtha1979 I am interested like a mad man, talk to us some more about this glass Blower... :celebrate:

15. lyaysan

lyaysan New Member

I bought some Lily pipe knock-offs, one month later the in-flow pipe broke during cleaning; the out-flow pipe has little spiderweb like cracks on the "lily" cup.
    I am told this is what happens when the glass wasn't heated in a special kiln after "blowing", there's uneven tension in the glass object, it can break any moment. (Here's an interesting video about glass tension: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2eCFsDkK0]YouTube - ‪Prince Rupert's Drop‬‏[/ame])
    There's good in every bad thing, after I broke my lily-pipe, I'm just using Eheim plastic pipes and the flow is much better :D
    But it would be really nice if Eheim made transparent plastic pipes instead of their acid green.

16. Peanut8787

Peanut8787 New Member

Wow. The video is amazing. Now I know why my knockoff lily pipe has been broken countless. Boxing