1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Glass top on rimless tank

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Pyro, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Has anyone had any experience with a glass top over a rimless ADA tank? Any practical advice on what to get/how it works/what to do about CO2 injection or lily pipes? Any pictures or practical examples?

Thanks!
    -Chris

Sponsored link:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

ADA sells some sort of metal clips to add a cover to it.

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

they call them metal hooks or something like that, why do you need one?

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Sweet lord, who'd have thought a single sheet of glass would have such a huge effect!

6. Rahul

Rahul Aspiring Aquascaper

Oops... That was an eye opener.

7. GeorgJ

GeorgJ Team Flowgrow

Hi there,

the ADA metal clips are called "garden hooks". I need them in winter because of humidity in my room.

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

humidity is a problem I had too, somehow after london I always keep one window open and it is not an issue any more :D

do you know any compact and cheap device to reduce air humidity?

9. GeorgJ

GeorgJ Team Flowgrow

Hey Juri,

the cheapest and prettiest version is to make a glass top over your open tank... in my opinion thats the easiest way... there are some really expensive machines which reduce air humidity but with some consequences on your energy costs ;)

10. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Geeze. Shoulda gotten the more expensive light then I guess. I have a 60P with 2x24w T5 over it. Not sure if that'll be enough light with a glass top, but it's a necessary evil.

11. Garuf

It should still be plenty, I've grown hc with a single 24w which is about half the par that two would be.

12. Isis

Isis New Member

Wow! If you don't have a top aren't you afraid the fish could jump out?

13. MrSoulSong

MrSoulSong New Member

Here's a design i just made up of what i did with my old tank which was rimless also. Sorry, I cant take an image of the top, as i sold the tank and setup awhile back.

[​IMG]

You could make the glass stoppers as small as 1" i reckon, without them being too visible, and more importantly too weak. I got one of my local window makers to make up the stoppers for me, for next to nothing!

The end result was a very clean top, with barely visible stoppers.

Just another idea.

14. Aquadream

Aquadream Guest

PAR measurements are relevant only to reef aquariums as corals are highly sensitive to environmental changes. Planted tropical tanks can do just fine with wide variety of light conditions as plants are highly adaptive to those.
    Also standard glass does not reduce anything by half. If that was the case we all would have been living in dark houses, because of such loss of light.
    Glass in general removes ultraviolet spectrum, for which I am not convinced that it is of prime importance for planted tanks
    There are also many types of glass with capabilities to allow well over 90% of the light to pass trough.
    ADA glass covers are all made out of low iron, optiwhite or crystal glass and there will be no problems with light losses with any of those.

15. Garuf

I'm sorry but you're wrong. PAR is just as important to plants as corals, yes they can exist in a wide variety of conditions and yes they are highly adaptable but throwing too much par at a tank isn't going to get you anywhere.
    Also, glass does reduce the PAR by up to and over 50%, get a piece of glass and a par metre and try it for your self, even with opti-white or low iron, even with crystal glass it reduces the Par greatly. Challenge it for yourself, it's genuinely the case.

16. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not going to argue with you Aquadream. Check the link I put above where the PAR is measured with and without glass lid.

And UV is not useful to anything and as far as I know not measured by PAR meters. Someone else will have to confirm that. So less UV wouldn't affect the PAR rating unless I am wrong. I may be.

Andy

17. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Nope, never use cover before and fish never jump out so far.

18. Shadow

If I understand correctly from reading those PAR measurement posting from many different planted tank forums. The driving force behind hobbyist measuring PAR is not because plant need it but rather it because of either Algae prevention and/or electric bill saving.

I personally put plenty of light on top of my tank, for example I put 2x55W for my 60x30x30cm tank. It maybe too many for some but I like it this way. Plant will grow fast and I can shape them to what I want faster ;).

19. Shadow

How about those acrylic sheet that suppose to protect the light bulb from water splash? Does it reduce the PAR by half as well?

20. Aquadream

Aquadream Guest

I wish you guys read carefully first, try to understand what is been said, then continue talking indefinitely.
    I stated clearly that the standard glass removes the ultraviolet spectrum of light. Now, that is the very reason for lower PAR if such glass is used. It is also the reason why people can not get tan under the glass of their balcony, but only outside in the open.

As most aquariums are lighted by fluorescent tubes how much PAR is transmitted by any given T5 for example? After you answer this then we can talk about PAR any further.
    You forget that all of your aquariums are well of the natural sun light. Where do you get this PAR from?
    Also since you talk about measurements I would like to see such from any natural tropical water pool or river and see if even one aquarium in the world is close to that.

Obviously if any specific case requires PAR levels to be at certain point of course it will have to be taken into account if top glass is considered.

But guys, Amano makes the best ever planted tanks and I have failed to hear his recommendations about PAR.

If you really believe that PAR is so important why just not use an ultraviolet sterilizer?

In aquatic system all have to be taken into account, but only a reasonable middle ground can be achieved and getting into deep specifics is often pointless.

I prefer the scientific evidence not the rumours.

I would suggest that anyone who can give any clear practical answer to the main question of this tread just do so and cut the crap as short as possible.

kylumi likes this.