1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Giant Danios Stressing other fish?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Lafataa, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

So I currently have in my 55g 9 Amanos, 4 Black Neon Tetras and 2 Giant Danios. The Giant Danios are REALLY active. They're about 3 months old and always are flying around the tank. They don't have any unusual behavior, they're just energetic. However, when I added them back into my 55g they seem to stress out the other fish. One of my Black Tetras was stuck to the filter the next morning (bringing the total to 4). In addition tot his, the tetras will only eat if the Danios aren't near them. If they're swimming around, they grab the food and spit it out. Is it best to get rid of the Danios and perhaps find a new home for them? Should I stick with more mellow fish?

2. Kuni

Kuni New Member

The giant danios need strong current and more school members (5+ total, probably a lot more). Or you can rehome them.

3. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

Personally, I think you should get rid of the other fish and up the numbers to where they should be on the giant danios. They have a beautiful schooling habit when in higher numbers (6+), live a long time, don't bother plants at all, & are very disease resistant. But if you don't want to up the numbers on the Danios, it would be best to find better homes for the two you have as they do not to well in groups of less than 5 members. If you do decide to up their numbers, make sure to get a 2:1 ratio of females to males -- they school better. Females, incidentally & in case you can't tell them apart, are significantly plumper & bigger (longer), and have less bronze/copper coloration than males -- it's easy to tell them apart when you know what to look for. You can also breed them fairly successfully if you choose to. Wonderful, highly overlooked fish for planted tanks, IMO.

Also, the fish you have will not do well with a larger school of Danios either because they are peaceful, more skittish fish which are easily intimidated by bigger fish. Giant Danios can reach sizes of 4" or more and the females (at least) are very robust, too. Their size and activity levels are very intimidating to smaller, less active fish.

The other option is to get rid of the other fish and up the numbers of the Tetras.... The Black Neons you have look magnificent in large schools (10+ fish). The more members, the better they school.

Just my 2ยข

4. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I found a new home for them a while ago. I have 12 Black Neon Tetras right now and they are gorgeous!

5. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

Glad to hear it =) Howzabout some pics. for us ;)