1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ghost shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Noala, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Noala

Noala New Member

so I bought two glass shrimps recently sold to me under the name of ghost shrimp. True to its name they disappeared without a trace. Is there any way I can check that they are still alive? I have sufficient shrubbery and only guppies in that tank, so I doubt they were eaten after shedding, and they were pretty small so dying of old age is also unlikely.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

other than digging around the tank, probably not. Remember shrimp are food for most fish, if they are small they will know to hide or be nibbled on...even by guppies if they are small enough.

3. Noala

Noala New Member

my guppies are pretty small too. oh well, I guess they did disappear...

4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Noala,Bet there ok;) Just hiding when you stop trying to see them :eek: There they are Swimming all over the place:) :cool:

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Noala

Shrimp and 99% of fish do not go together, if there is plenty of coverage there is a very good chance they are hiding.

If they have any Fry it will be snack time for the guppies.

Put a lettuce leaf in and wait a few hrs and they "just might" come out for you.

Keith:):)

6. Noala

Noala New Member

hehehe, will try the lettuce leaf trick. Luckily my guppies "forgot" that it is also edible.

7. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

The problem is that you only have two. If you had more, they'd feel a lot safer and would come out a lot more. Also, glass shrimp are nocturnal but can adapt to being active during the day if that's when food is offered.

8. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

I have two ghost shrimp in my 30 gal tank. There are three tetras and one African dwarf frog as well. The shrimp are the bullies of the tank; they go where they want and take what they want. I used to have them in a four gal tank and they would and still do take food from the frog and hitch rides on my old betta.

I'm sure the shrimp you have just need some time to warm up to your tank, or I just have really ballsy shrimp.

Katie