1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Get rid of Green Spot Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by John N., Feb 29, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I think Green Spot Algae (GSA) is one of those algaes that plague a planted aquarium. At least for me, I haven't been able to succesfully stop it from covering the glass, and have to do regular "window washing" at least once every two weeks. I get jealous of the folks who manage to post their aquascape and never seem to have a speck of GSA. How do you do it?

Any one have any suggestions? Anyone know what causes GSA?

-John N.

2. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

From what I have experience, I always get green spot algae if my phosphate levels are low, so I usually increase my dosings to get rid of the algae. But also if you leave your light on for too long, green spot algae usually appears on my tank.

3. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

That's what I thought too, so I increased my dosing for PO4...
    ... as much as it went up to 10ppm :%3... and the green spots were still there...:ehhh:

4. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

I had a big problem with GSA in my tank. I did a 100% WC, wiped off all the algae, cleaned the filter, reduced lighting time, dosed excel and ferts everyday(NO SKIMPING), co2 at 35ppm?.

You really have to clean everything and fertilize just enough everyday. "No more No less".

I hate algae!Boxing

-kakkoii

5. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

Low PO4 is "usually" the cause of GSA, but I believe that is not the only reason. I really don't have an answer but I believe it's an imbalance of light, nutirents and bacteria. I wish there was a formula to rid of all algae but there isn't. Each tank has it's own eco-system even if all parameters are the same. Bacteria is key to helping control algae IMHO. This is why I dose Green Bacter and Green Gain after each water change.

6. trenac

trenac New Member

I've had times where increasing P04 levels has helped & times it has not. I've found that GSA seems to appear in tanks that have been setup for a few months. Eventually it will go away on it's own, once the tank begins to mature.

7. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

I agree with both Roy and Trena. An imbalance of lighting, nutrients, etc., like, Roy said, is the cause of algae. like Trena said as a tank matures GSA will go away.

8. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I have been getting this stuff on my tank walls. Increased my PO4 level we will see how it goes.

9. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

If you increase PO4 you have to increase potassium to aid in the uptake of P04?

10. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Not sure could someone answer this?

11. Freemann

Freemann New Member

This question is partially the root I think that on some people PO4 higher additions work and on other they do not. Its is not a matter of direct relation of disapearance of green spot from PO4 additions so much but more of the fact that all is added initially in sufficient amounts and then the PO4 kind of is the final missing factor that kicks the green spot off the system. I can confirm that additions at that point help eradicate green spot. :)

12. trenac

trenac New Member

Freeman... Are you saying that the irradication of GSA is more due to potassium levels or that once phosphates are increased, that the balance between the two are more in sync & causes GSA to disappear.

13. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

When I have a lot of GSA on the glass I have to scrape it off to get rid of it. But, if it is a few spots I can increase PO4 dosing and sometimes the spots go away by themselves. How that can happen I don't know. I also find that if I dose about twice the EI dosage of PO4 I get less GSA, and the GSA I get is always the heaviest where the most light strikes the glass.

GSA on leaves is a different thing entirely for me. First, I don't see much at any time, but I suspect my overdosing of PO4 may be the reason why I don't see much. Minor GSA on slow growing leaves doesn't bother me so I may just not see it.