1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

German Ram Sex

Discussion in 'Fish' started by cbessler, May 23, 2011.

1. cbessler

cbessler New Member

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to the wonderful hobby and was wondering if anyone could help me. I would like to know the sex of this ram. I am thinking its a female because of the blue spots in the large black on its side. Thanks and please let me know as I want to try and breed them. I have a great setup and been doing some research, just want to confirm. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

I had a different idea when I saw the thread title, hehe

Difficult call.

But anyway, there are many things that make your fish difficult to sex. I believe that it is a male because of the extent to which the dorsal fin spines are extended. However, black lines on the pectoral fins are "supposedly" (so I hear) characteristic of male rams, but my verified male ram I had a while back had the same black lines. The bet I place is on that the sex of the fish is male.

Here's a good comparison of male vs female ram:
    Male:
    [​IMG]
    Female:
    [​IMG]

3. cbessler

cbessler New Member

Thanks for your info. Im thinking it's male more now too bc of the lack of pink on the underbelly. And its aggressive facial lines. Now did you have any good chances breeding them? I have river rocks and my temp is around 80. Heard a spike in temp and rocks help. Any ideas I should try out?

4. alain

alain New Member

I found Breeding as one of the most rewarding sides of the aquarium hobby. Please don't be discouraged if you're not successful your first time around. Just walk through the process and you'll find out you get better with practice and patience. This is how I prepare for breeding Rams

• I use two tanks 5.5 Gal keep one bare (fry tank) and cycle them with half the water from the comunity tank half RO water. Please do a 50% water change weekly.
    • Separate the couple in a bare bottom or sand bottom tank with a sponge filter a heater and thermometer set at 84-86F litte light and enough java fern in which to hide.
    • Place some slate or other flat rock 3-5 times larger than the fish for them to lay their eggs on it.
    • Feed twice a day or more if you have the time small portions of either live blackworms or mosquito larvae or live fresh water food available to your area.
    • make sure you have a microworm culture started befor the fry hatch
    It takes about a week for the couple to get acclimated to their surroundings, then you'll notice them fastidiusly cleaning the rock they have selected. One day you'll come home and find the rock littered with little yellow-ish eggs which the Rams will be fanning and protecting. A couple of days afer that you'll see the wigglers being fanned. Some days after If you're lucky you might get to see them hatch.
    • Once you see the fry are free swimming and lost their yolk sac wait one more day and separate the fry from the parents to their own tank which you already set up and feed them the microworms 2-3 times a day. Progressively introduce other foods like spirulina, and eventually daphnia and mosquitol larvae.
    In a month and couple of weeks to you will have happy healthy Rams you can trade with your local fish club.:D

5. cbessler

cbessler New Member

Thank you for your reply. Gonna set everything up tonight until I get my female in. Ill keep you posted. Thanks!