1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

General layout question

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by mexicat, Jan 3, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mexicat

If you know what you are doing it might be able to break or cut it along that crevice.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

I got a perfect break along that line and separated the stone. I was able to do a layout very similar to the one you recommended. It just needs slight adjustments of the front left and back middle. I would also need to fix the slope / reveal the smaller rocks.

Here's some photos of 2 different versions. One similar to the original and one that you recommended 20170419_115848.jpg 20170419_153551.jpg

3. keithgh

Mexicat

Here is what I consider a far better aquascape with the minimum of change.
    Photo bucket is out of action until???
    I have only moved/rotated one rock and questioned 3 small rocks, one removal too small will get lost in any planting, the other two replaced with a slightly larger stone if possible and one moved just a little nothing major.

As soon as Photo Bucket working I will post the photo.

You are getting very close to the Wow when its fully planted.

4. keithgh

Mexicat

[​IMG]

PB back in action
    I rotated the large rock to give you the necessary height also a better Eye Flow as you can now see.

No 1 Rock far too small and not required.
    No 2 Rock too small if you have another rock slightly larger perfect, I would also move it more to the left.
    No 3 Rock position and shape perfect but again a whisker too small.

When is fully planted and established you are heading for that WOW factor

5. mexicat

I revealed some of the rocks by removing some sand.

Rock #1 was just part of the rock close to it.
    Rock #2 I removed sand and raised it.
    Rock #3 I didn't change because i couldn't find a better rock to replace it.

I think it looks good currently.

some changes I might do:
    #1: Move the main stone a little further right and maybe tilt it more.
    #2: I might adjust the placement of the front right stone and back/middle stone

The only issue is that the main rock is flat on the right face, which can be seen from the side viewing angle. I'm not sure if I should rotate the rock and tilt it in the direction of the red line that I drew in the photo. 20170420_132734.jpg
    new1.jpg

6. keithgh

mexicat

We are getting a lot closer now this could be the last move.
    [​IMG]

I have tilted the large rock a little the top is practically on the best focal point.
    To get the lean you might have to place a rock underneath and add more substrate as well. If you bury it you will lose a lot of rock height above the substrate.

I have moved two of the front rocks to eliminate the big open spaces.

7. mexicat

Did the rock tilt and moved those 2 rocks. The middle one is rotated differently. The top of the main rock reaches 2/3 up and the right edge hits slightly beyond the 1/3 mark.

Here's some photos from multiple angles.

20170421_173946.jpg
    20170421_173952.jpg 20170421_174029.jpg

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

mexicat

[​IMG]

As far as I can see it looks like is an all go for planting now every thing looks great.

Have you a planting plan yet?

9. mexicat

I'm deciding what I want the main ground cover to be. I'm trying to choose between monte carlo and eleocharis parvula. My other tank will have monte carlo so I might go with the hairgrass with a mix of chain swords similar to this ELEOCARIS-PARVULA1.jpg

I'm debating though because the stones might get lost within the plants. So I might go simple with full monte carlo like George Farmers iwagumi

utgNuGi.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

Mexicat

I had to leave rather suddenly and I was going to edit in. "The most important point with your Aquascape as long as you are happy with what you have done so far?"

I have two thoughts on your choices, both are excellent rock scapes highlighted by totally different planting choices.
    The wild look which always looks very natural BUT your rocks are just too small and would be completely hidden.
    Then there is the perfectly manicured finish it highlights the rocks to perfection BUT it must be maintained to perfection.

I would like to see a combination meaning the tall wild look back LH corner behind the large major rock only to give it an added interest and every where else that perfect manicured look.

With the planting you will have created the perfect Keep It Simple Aquascape. Over the top fancy planting would make all your hard work look like the less than average tank.

The same goes for the inhabitants KIS with colour to me that means only Cardinal Tetras, a good coloured Cherry Red Shrimp and, a few Ottos as well by selecting that combination you have lifted the Aquascape even higher plus good natural algae cleaners.

11. mexicat

Ya, I figured that the rocks would get lost. I'll start looking for a plant that pairs well with monte carlo for that back LH corner or possibly use the chain sword.

For fish I've read a lot about keeping everything in proportion. I have celestial pearl danios in my 20 and for this tank I was thinking of going with Chili Rasboras / Cherry Shrimp. I was told chilis work well in a 5 gallon and theyre pretty small so the scape will look larger

12. keithgh

mexicat

Another very good choice plus you can have more.
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/
    Check with that program as to how many you can have considering the Shrimps will breed faster than Rabbits.
    Add them slowly and keep on top of your water changes 2x 35-40% twice a week and always a clean filter. When trimming the plants remove the cutting with a small net as you go then wave the Syphon over the plants to collect the clippings mixed into your plants.

13. keithgh

Do you know fore sure who created that Aquascape?

14. keithgh

Thank you great little Videos

15. mexicat

I found this photo and although it uses HC I think the pygmy chain sword will look good around the LH corner of the main rock.
    nano a.png

lucasgg likes this.
  16. keithgh

You occasionally see a good green Aquascape that looks bland simply because of the inhabitants they lack the colour to give it that extra lift.