1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

General layout question

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by mexicat, Jan 3, 2017.

1. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

I was thinking that I might just scatter some anubias nana petite and put moss on some of the rocks for the foreground. I don't have co2 and I figured most of the foreground plants would end up looking out of proportion. I was thinking if I heavily plant the driftwood area it might work out. If not, ill probably use some bigger rocks. Heres some photos with the rock move and a side photo. I found some lines I probably need to fix. 20170112_234258.jpg 20170112_234325.jpg 20170112_234801.jpg 664564.jpg

lucasgg and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mexicat

I like what I am seeing now its a great improvement and it takes time moving one rock at a time.

anubias nana petite is an extremely slow grower the A nana is a good grower. I would glue or tie it to very old soft DW and push the DW into the substrate but do not bury any of the Anubia and you will find it will actually grow over the top of the Substrate. Keep it growing using Ferts also plenty of water movement if not you will have it covered in algae very quickly.

Keith:cat::cat:

lucasgg likes this.
  3. mexicat

heres what it looks like now. I moved a giant anubias nana petite to cover the big gap. I also removed and moved some of the tiny rocks. I ended up crushing them and placing them in some spots. 20170113_185621.jpg 20170113_185634.jpg 20170113_185655.jpg

xigtc and lucasgg like this.
  4. keithgh

mexicat

[​IMG]
    Just left of the Cardinals that is the true A nana petite, the remainder are A nana.

Are you hiding a support rock under the DW?

Now you can see the benefit of the rocks and DW moves. Once you start visualizing the finished Aquascape you are well on the way to creating a very good Aquascape.

5. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

The scape certainly looks much more natural. If you haven't found a use for the smaller driftwood piece previously used, I'd recommend arranging it so that it fills the gap between the driftwood sticks about 2/3 of the way up from the center so the hardscape doesnt look as divided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s.hop3r likes this.
  6. keithgh

lucasgg

A very good observation. If necessary it can easily be tweaked as the Aquascape develops.

When its fully planted and established I will be very surprised if there are any gaps any where.

7. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Now that I have gotten a sense of the power of aquasoil, I want to see some here! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mexicat

I didn't add a support rock yet because I still had to pull it out when I plant and figured it would be easier to add then

keithgh likes this.
  9. keithgh

mexicat

I like that you are thinking well ahead and planning your next step.

10. mexicat

I ended up combining the 3 pieces of the spider wood to make what is in the photo. That third smaller piece is the one on the bottom below the gap. I seen some people place ferns in a direction on driftwood and was thinking of doing that to fill the gap, if I'm talking about the one you mentioned. Not sure yet if it would work out well. I attached an unfinished sloppy photo of some of the planting I was thinking of doing. Was going to to needle leaf fern behind the wood, something like
    Bolbitis Heudelotii within the wood, and willow moss on the branches. Then some moss on a few rocks. 545434.jpg

lucasgg likes this.
  11. mexicat

I didn't know my anubias was nana and not petite. I bought it from a site claiming it was petite. He also has what he claims is anubias nana 'micro' which is probably the true petite variety. Thanks for pointing it out.

12. keithgh

13. mexicat

I started drawing in some plants in the scape. Green on rocks would be mini christmas moss, green on the driftwood is willow moss, needle leaf java fern behind the driftwood, and bolbitis heudelotii within the driftwood.

Things I'm unsure about:
    I should put the spare anubias nana I have on the top part of the wood
    If theres too many plant varieties
    If I should switch the bolbitis and needle leaf fern 20170114_132602.jpg plant nano.jpg

14. keithgh

mexicat
    The A nana you have would completely cover that wood in a few years, I would not do it at all.

I am a bit of the old school there I prefer less varieties as too many different leaf shapes/sizes can be very confusing it is just a matter of your choice.

Bolbitis can grow to 15-40 cm tall and wide once established this will depend on your growing situation.
    Where as the Needle leaf fern is a lower grower 5-15cm tall again depending on your growing conditions.

In your situation both can be used the Needle leaf in the foreground between the rocks and the taller Bolbitis behind the DW

s.hop3r likes this.
  15. mexicat

So I've been gone awhile and I wanted to give an update on the tank. I ended up tearing down the scape after planting because it turned into a mess. A majority of the stones were too tiny and the wood was constantly leaching bacteria because I didnt soak it for a few weeks. I decided to buy 20 pounds of seiryu stone and try an iwagumi scape. The stones I received weren't that interesting and I had a lot of trouble trying to make a traditional iwagumi with the stones I was given. This was my attempt with the stones that had character: 20170325_151702.jpg 20170325_151709.jpg

I didn't like the way the main stone looked due to the curve and it seemed like a poor attempt at an iwagumi. The plants were left over from the previous scape. Since the main stone was never meant to be standing I placed the stones differently and this what I currently have set up:
    20170326_124747.jpg 2.jpg

I'm still debating whether or not I want to stick with this scape and was looking for opinions. There's a gap on the left of the main stone that might throw off the scape if it's planted. I bought stone looking to do a traditional iwagumi, but didn't really receive stone that would work well with it because of the tank size. I was thinking of selling the seiryu stone and purchasing dragon stone since its easy to break and the color/textures are consistent which would work well for a smaller tank where it's important.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  16. keithgh

Mexicat

Basically there is nothing wrong with that "Rocky" Aquascape that a few changes could not improve plus the addition of taller plants at the back LH end to give you that extra height and a medium height plants across the back to the RH end.
    [​IMG]

To do a traditional Iwagumi its a lot more than a few stones and in my opinion would be the hardest of all Aquascapes to do as every thing must be done to perfection.
    If you want the "Perfect stones" there is only one way select them your self and see how they look at the rock supplier.

17. keithgh

Mexicat

Any updates on your tank or new Aquascaping ideas?

18. mexicat

Hey, I just seen your post with the photo of changes I could make. I finally sold off the rest of my stone so I have enough money to buy plants for my bonsai tank and this one. This is what the tank currently looks like: 20170418_172238.jpg

The only plants that are left are the anubias nana. I shifted the rocks from the original photo to try and reduce that gap on the left of the main stone and added some sand. I'm not really satisfied with that left side. It seems to be cut off from the rest of the scape. I cant shift it anymore because of the size of the rock so I think the best option is to break it along the line I drew. And I can open up the left side and try the layout you recommended. 20170418_1722381.jpg

19. keithgh

mexicat

Is that rock one large rock or are you thinking of moving them apart.

Then there is the option of growing the Anubia along that line to make it look like there is a gap between the rocks.

20. mexicat

Right now its just one full rock with a crevice that makes it look like two rocks