1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

General layout question

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by mexicat, Jan 3, 2017.

1. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm going to be scaping my 5 gallon tank using a nature style approach. The dimensions of the tank are 16 3/16 x 8 3/8 x 10 1/2. I haven't bought any rocks or driftwood yet, but plan on finding some spider wood from the lfs. Before I go, do you think a central island layout, a left / back left triangular layout, or a left and right double island layout would look best?

I was going to go with the central island, but I'm unsure if it would seem too large for the tank.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mexicat

I am confused is this another tank you are starting?

Keith:cat::cat:

3. mexicat

yes it's already been set up for awhile and is cycled. the timing just happened to occur while I was finishing the scape with my bonsai tree. It was a tank for only cherry shrimp, but I removed all of them when I started getting die offs.

I attached some photos which include the central, left, double island. Was wondering which one of these styles would look best in a smaller tank.

Attached Files:

4. keithgh

mexicat

You could do any of the three providing everything is in a proportional size, in other words fine twiggy DW and smaller well sculptured rocks.

5. mexicat

So these are the pieces that I chose for the 5 gallon. The left is two pieces and I can probably cut some branches to make it blend in more. The right side branch im not sure if it will appear small in comparison to the right side. May be able to work with rocks.

For rocks i'm not sure if I should go with a darker gray lava rock like I have in the photo. It is a light wood on a light sand.

Attached Files:

6. keithgh

mexicat

I like the idea of a Mock tank but it requires a substrate sand is good substitute then you can get a better idea plus you can shape the substrate it will alter everything compared to a flat surface you have now.

[​IMG]

7. mexicat

I'll probably use the actual tank tomorrow. Its already cycled just sitting empty.

8. keithgh

mexicat

What style/shape are you going to do with the substrate this time?

9. mexicat

I might use two mounds to raise both sides. That right piece has me worried though. The piece seems simple compared to the left piece. Hopefully rock work can fix it or I might have to just place it somewhere on the left and do a left sided layout / slope.

10. keithgh

mexicat

This is why I prefer working in a mock tank its far easier to work on.

11. mexicat

So I decided it would probably look best as a left sided layout and combined the 3 pieces of wood. This is what it looks like currently. Slope isnt the best right now and didn't flatten out the sand on the front glass. I might retie the bottom piece and raise it higher to reduce the gap in the middle.

The middle section with the gap would be filled with some type of fern pointing to the right, but the gap might be too big right now. 20170110_171559.jpg

12. keithgh

mexicat

[​IMG]

Here are a few points I would like you to consider.

As the wood ages it will gain weight even more if you decide to grow plants on the DW.
    1 & 2 look very light and might not be able to hold the weight then they could sink into the DW or break.

My suggestion would be to place a rock/s 3 and cover it with plants to hide it.

The other suggestion would be to rotate all the DW as per 4 reason being every thing is pointing to the back RH corner. You will have a greater eye flow if its pointing down the slope to the front RH corner.

13. mexicat

this is it shifted over. Hard to tell the amount of shift because of the anubias behind it, but it aligns with the path. Didn't support the bottom yet because it will have to be taken out during planting. I might purchase a small amount of small sized / rubble sized ohko stone to use. I'm debating whether or not it would look better without rock, but it will probably be needed to fill in some of the gaps.
    20170111_150525.jpg

14. keithgh

mexicat

That is better its taken the squarish look away.

The answer could be YES that is why I suggested covering it with plants to hide.
    For the pathway can you draw it in or even put small sticks (tooth picks) where you would like to have it (dont worry about the DW and the pathway at the moment.

15. mexicat

I had some lava rock from the bonsai rescape and used some in this scape. This was just my idea on how the rocks should flow and testing the rock color with this wood. I'm not sure if the rocks are big enough and I probably place too many tiny rocks. I was probably going to leave the foreground open and just place moss on some of the rocks when they're situated. 20170112_143147.jpg 20170112_143203.jpg

lucasgg likes this.
  16. keithgh

mexicat

What I am seeing is well positioned DW and several very nice well sculptured rock. I also notice the rocks at the front appear to be very carefully placed am I correct?

The large rock second from the LH end helps to make those four rocks form a straight line.

Easily fixed move it forward about 3-5 Cm to break up that uninteresting line.

I can see another rock that might look better with a small move but I prefer to wait to see how the second rocks looks in its new location.

17. mexicat

ya I noticed it afterwards and tried dropping that middle rock down in paint and it looked better. 22222.jpg

keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

Mexicat
    [​IMG]

I tried various positions for that thin pointy rock but just cannot get right I am thinking in that area or sliding it down lower than the second and third rock.

Only you can see what actually will or will not work.

19. mexicat

its weird before I posted the photos i had made those exact movements in paint. I have some other lava rocks I can smash into random shapes if it doesnt work out. I'll make an update tomorrow. When the hardscape in this tank looks alright i'll probably create a plant mock up of this tank and the bonsai tank and post it in the plant forum. Was waiting so that I could buy all the plants at once

keithgh likes this.
  20. keithgh

mexicat

Most if not all of those small rocks will be hidden with your planting.