1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

General Algae Q & A

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ogtoy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

otos only consume brown algae. You can add Yamato shrimp to take care your green hair algae. Don't really like SAE but it also can help on hair algae.

Sponsored link:

2. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

i dont think we have yamato shrimp here in hawaii. the only legal shrimp is feeder shrimp (not sure of the scientific name) and i have quite a few in my tank. maybe one SAE would work?

there is still the black algae on the grass. it looks like the seachem helped a little but...

im going to do a major water change soon about 40%. then i will treat with the seachem 2 cap full for 3 days and see what happens.

3. Shadow

It would be better if you can do spot treatment using syringe.

4. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

i got me a syringe to spot treat. i'll update you guys when i do.

5. Shadow

don't forget to turn off your filter during the treatment (maybe 30 minutes). Just to make sure that excel stay around infected area longer.

6. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I agree, for I and a few others have found that when the plants aren't growing well algae takes its place.

Algae is due to imbalance. Imbalance of Co2 and lights or nutrients.

Lights are the engine. So usually reducing lights and then gradually increasing works. Also increasing circulation helps.

Nutrients I believe come short are potassium and nitrogen. Until I dosed with Potassium nitrate and Sodium Bicarb I had problems with BBA. This is probably because my water is very soft. Since I have lowered lights I find my plants need more nitrogen, symptom are a lot of side roots.

If the BBA gets real bad take the plants out and spritz them with excel. It will come back if you don't correct the imbalance.

As for fish deaths. If they are gasping at top is due to lack of o2 and remedied by increasing the circulation and turning injected Co2 off at night.

7. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

i spot treated but didnt read this post until after. i didnt get to turn off my Eheim.... we'll see how it works out... i'll probably treat again after my next 30%-40% water change.

i plan on buying brightly k and green bright step 1. so hopefully my plants will grow more healthy and the algae not so much

oh and ive been running my light(2 x 24w) for 7 hours a day now instead of 10.

8. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

btw what is a good way to increase circulation?