1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

General Algae Q & A

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ogtoy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

I know that there is a lot of different types of algae that can appear in our tanks but i was wondering what are general steps to take to ensure the growth of MOST algaes?

with a lot of mystery surrounding how to control and get rid of some of these algaes i was just wondering what is the ideal conditions that we keep our tanks in.

some basic tips or suggestions would be helpful.
    water changes
    co2.. etc.

Sponsored link:

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Well to say it shortly - grow plants!

Other than that, regular rutines like waterchanges and good fertilizer programs with plenty of CO2 is the way.
    Sufficient filtering and regular filter cleaning is also good.

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there is a simple answer to that yet. There is no single reason that cause algae. Different algae have different cause. You can't stop them by limiting their nutrient as well. Algae is simple organism with low mass, it does not need much nutrient to grow. Thus it is difficult if not impossible to limit its nutrient.

The best bet fighting algae is to make sure your plant healthy grow. I do not know why it is so, it is just that normally you hardly see algae in any tank with healthy plant grow. This can be achieve with good fertilizer dosing, good CO2, enough light and enough flow.... and also don't forget algae crew

Just my 2 cents :p

4. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

i got good flow, co2, light but no fert. could that be a cause to some algae i have growing on my sword grass?

5. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Ofcourse - you limit the plant growth but not algae. When the plants are limited in growth algae will grow on the plants and use some og the nutrients they release.

6. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

so fert will help on some of the algae growth? healthy plants=less algae?

i was running my light 10 hours a day also. is that causing algae to flourish?

7. Shadow

10 hours is about max you can turn the light on, so should be ok. by the way, what type of algae grow on your plant?

8. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

not sure the exact kind but this black fuzzy stuff on my sword grass and thin white/colorless fibers on my other plants. green spots on my glass.

i turned down my light to 8 hours to see if that makes a difference and plan to get some fertilizer. any recommendations for a basic fert?

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried dosing Seachem excel regularly? That will get rid of the algae you describe.

As for fertilizator recommendations, check out the Seachem Flourish line, or even the pfertz line for a no brainer way to supplement. There are also do-it-yourself fertilizer routes. Check out the this article on the Estimative Index Fertilizing Method.

-John N.

10. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

thanks for the help i appreciate it! i'll probably get me a bottle!

11. Shadow

that sound like BBA (Black beard algae), normally due to low CO2. You can do spot treatment with Seachem excel.

12. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

to little CO2? thats funny i thought i killed my rams due to to much CO2. how about FINE hair algae? best way to get rid of that. its forming on my fissidens

13. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Reduced lighting, and Seachem Excel squirted directly on the hair algae.

-John N.

14. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

nice.... im gonna pick me up some seachem. any recommended sites to buy from?
    btw i turned down my light timer from 10 hours to 8 hours.

15. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I have heard that healthy plants give up something that works against algae.

Just a nice example: In my nano cube I was fighting long time against some brown algae with no success, a week ago I planted some more plants and now 99% of this algae is gone but some new green hair algae appeared :deadhorse:

16. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Although there is no magic bullet to control algae the one biggest factor IMO is simply light. Most run their light duration to long epecially at startup and this is the start of their algae issues. I recently setup 15g aquasoil based tank with 48watts of T5HO lighting. I run my co2 high and use just a 5-6 hrs of light. So far after 6 weeks not a sign of algae not even diatoms. I also used seeded media and peat moss under AS.

Just like the sun, you must worship the light on your tank: ^:)^

17. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

wow... maybe i should turn down the light even more from 8 hours to 6 or seven. hopefully i can eliminate most of my algae with the decrease in light and dosing with fertilizer

18. Shadow

Simple thing that I found to be effective against algae is water change. If you can do 10%-20% daily water change, there won't be algae in your tank.

I forgot to asked what is your tank dimension and light wattage? Too much light without proper fertilizer dosing will also induce algae

19. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

i have an ADA 60p tank and my light is a Matching ARCHAEA. i'll check on the wattage.

Light wattage is 48w (2 24w bulbs)

20. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

ive been using 2 cap full of seachem excel for 3 days and the one cap a day after. the algae is decreasing slowly but i still have some green hair algae.

i also added 2 OTO's to my tank to help with the algae consumtion.