1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Fungus / Mould Issues HELP!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by A.Botwright, Mar 21, 2011.

1. A.Botwright

A.Botwright New Member

Hi guys,

I know my first three posts have been problem ones and I am very sorry but still being relatively new at this I find myself in need of help.

I've just finished putting together the hard scape in my new 5th tank & I've introduced a suspended tree feature which levertates above the substrate, however I have came back tonight to find what looks like whitish slime or mould built up on some sections of the wood, can anyone identify it for me? Has anyone seen it before? Is it harmful? & how do I get rid of it?

Any comments on the hardscape layout would also be greatly received

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

more than likely its fungus that will eventually go away. Otos or nerite snails will eat it.

did you boil the wood before putting it into the tank? you should always boil something you get from mother nature before sticking it into your tank. rocks or wood.

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Dont worry about this stuff, as long this wood is for aquarium use it will disappear after a while by it self.

concerning your scape, a slope in the middle of the tank would improve the look and make the tank look more natural

Attached Files:

4. A.Botwright

A.Botwright New Member

Hi Thanks for the advise guys,

the tree is made of 7 seperate and different types of wood screwed together, it has all be boiled at some point in the past but was dry when added!

im not concerned about the way it looks but more the effect on the water and fish!

Regards putting a slope in the middle..... what you are unable to see from the picture is the cave hidden under all the rock on the right which houses my gibyceps catfish, if i was to place a slope in teh middle of the tank it would restrict her access i think, i have decided to lawn the left hand side and then plant arrount the rockery with lower growing shrub type plants like Staurogoyne Repens (Sorry about the spelling)

Any further coments / ideas would be great, considering weeping moss for the tree... should i wait for the fungus to dissapear before i add the moss or will the moss help to get rid of the mould??

Finnaly should iclean off the fungus or leave it to run its course and disapear by itself??

Cheers

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

clean it off and perform a water change
    wait for the fungus to disappear before adding moss to the wood