1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

From the Green Machine tutorials worth watching

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by keithgh, Apr 22, 2017.

1. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

On another note lol I almost had enough rock to start working out my mini eyes of a child with a personal twist lol. I'll keep them and let them soak a bucket for a while. I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to do that scape. Maybe in my 20 gallon once it's current job is done lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

sfsamm

[​IMG]

One little rule will help you understand what I have done "More is Less and Less is More"
    I removed the corner DW and moved that lovely piece into the corner. It now opens up your Aquascape.
    It will also give you a greater water movement.

Plants my suggestions would be an easy to grow med height Crypt to give you that extra height plus the shrimp will always be over it.

For the rest either a very low Crypt or a small leaf Anubia for the foreground, all you have to do with the Anubia is tie it to a small pieces of old DW and press it into the substrate and they will grow very successfully over the substrate.

Shrimp fry need plenty of cover to grow as they will live off all the mulm under the plants plus it will give them shelter from the light.

The copper plant will give every thing a little lift in colour.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

OK, I have teeny tiny anubia on the large piece that I will tie off to some stones and sink. I did three pieces of dw as my sister (much more experienced in aquascaping) insisted I needed three rather than two. I had a very similar idea for placement originally, and was also concerned about water flow.

This is my first shrimp tank as I generally keep more aggressive fish and have never had a place for shrimps as I'd never wanted to dedicate a tank to them until I could not get the diatoms under control in this tank after many many months no matter what I do as soon as they're gone they return and my cycle has been stable for ages lol. I had no idea what baby shrimp needed lol.

And that copper crypt is probably my favorite plant from all my tanks it colors up beautifully with a deep pinkish red under side of the leaves and I just think it's soo stunning. I'm glad that the shrimps will enjoy it as it wasn't going to be removed from the tank! In the back I have some green Ludia, I can find no info on ludia and actually belive it to b a some type of crypt. I'll probably try to keep that, across the background as I'm unsure of how thickly it'll grow but it does get tallish (so far about 4-5") and flows nicely in current without getting all pushed to one side.

How would you suggest I add moss? At least until I find a smaller plant to grow out the tank foreground to provide a good cover for them?I considered some of the shrimp stars to tie bits of moss too but could really tie off about anything to them I think. It's going to be hard for me to leave the mulm anywhere! I'm kind of a nut about keeping the substrate clean lol best if I keep it out of sight.

I'll also be adding my 6 Celestial Pearl Danios to this tank, currently they are constantly in hiding in a 20 from zebra danios, had no idea how shy they were. Hoping the smaller tank will make them feel more secure so I really like having more open space and more leafy options rather than hardscape for them and their own cover requirements.

I love your suggestions and will post and updated photo as soon as I complete the changes for you to critique a bit further. I've been waiting on a plant order until I lined everything out in the hardscape. Unfortunately I took me until I recruited my sister past night since I had to get it done for arrival of shrimps today lol. But your suggestions took my two favorite pieces and kept them. I love the other piece of dw also but it just seemed a bit much to me. Also moving that other dw over will provide more stability in my slope and if I get ambitious I can nab up some of my very bushy anubia Petite narrow from another tank and tie off to the front "leg" of the remaining dw and I think it would do nicely as a similar but larger plant in mid ground while not adding something new to keep up simplicity in the tank.

Not happening today lol I have to de snail egg that plant and have a wedding tomorrow to attend that I travel this afternoon for. The plant is coming from a tank of Pest snails and assassins lol there are both types of eggs and I don't particularly want either in this tank!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

Alright, quickly redone careful not to upset my flourite lol and I don't know what's up with the ball on top of the substrate. The generic sand apparently is holding down air bubbles (never had sand do that quite like this) but I'm assuming they'll eventually settle out after there's little shrimps poking around at them.

Front view
    [​IMG]

Side view easily seen in my house
    [​IMG]

The "ludia" and teeny anubias
    [​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

sfsamm

That is a big improvement it looks better than I thought it would.

As the tank develops it will even look a lot better.
    Its now what I would call a Keep It Simple KIS tank. 1 Rock, I Driftwood and simple planting.

Before buying any fish this is certainly worth reading.
    The Best Types Of Fish For Your Shrimp Aquarium
    https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/types-of-fish.php

Here is a very good video for you to follow.
    How to: Attach plants and Moss to Wood or rocks.

Keith:cat::cat: