1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Fluval Edge Cree Led Build

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Jeff.:P:., Mar 24, 2011.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Is the white on the downoi reflections or not? If it's on the downoi you need to increase your dosing of trace. Your hc seems to be yellowing too so it maybe worth revising your dosing in its entirety and nudging up your co2.

Either which way, the scape is excellent and it really is a credit to your DIY light and maintenance.

Sponsored link:

2. Jeff.:P:.

Jeff.:P:. New Member

Thanks! The hc was just trimmed down to the roots before the photo so anything that's yellow is just not seeing the light. The downoi does have some white new growth, I've dosed some macros to fix that. I'm weary to dose too much right now as I had a out break of green hair algae on the mini pellia. It has subsided with growth of overall biomass. I will slowly up the dosage of fertz over the next month or so..

3. Jeff.:P:.

Also I think die to the light and iPhone pics are slightly overexposed. Thanks again!

4. Garuf

There's no such thing as dosing too much from a plants point of view only too little. Algaes are almost always to do with co2.

James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

5. Jeff.:P:.

There is such a thing of too much light and too much nutrients. I have co2 at yellow on the drop checker. I get pearling every night and day. The issue was the mini pellia died when first Acclimating to my parameters but then new growth started. The new growth is overpowering the algae only after a month or so of steady growth. I did notice if I dosed too often the hair algae would get wild. With consistent water changes and less dosing the algae is almost gone. The tank is most definitely overpowered with light, if it got a foot hold it could have been disastrous.

6. mojof1

mojof1 New Member

nice tank!

somewhat off topic.. i also have mini pellia and there is a lot of fine green hair coming out of it... i'm guessing that's algae, so i constantly try to yank them out. is that the same problem that you had? how did you cure it? thanks.

7. Jeff.:P:.

Yes, maybe up the c02 up a bit, keep removing the hair algae, keep doing constant water changes and you'll beat it. what light do you have?

8. Kalan850

Kalan850 New Member

where did you find the downoi? it really sets off your tank! good job on the scape

9. mojof1

mojof1 New Member

my tank is a fluval chi, so it's got the weak LED light. i have an external light hanging about a foot above it, but as you may know with that tank, the filter is right in the middle so not too much light gets in.

i wonder if i may have introduced that algae when i bought a moss ball from petsmart

10. Garuf

Algae is ever present in nearly all water waiting for the right conditions to bloom, algae blooms = the conditions were right.
    Check out James C's excellent algae guide identify the algae and then the cure.
    James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

11. Jeff.:P:.

I found the downoi on APC I think a year ago. I started with three crowns. I'll probably be trimming soon and have some for sale. :)