Fish Profile: Siamese Algae Eaters

Discussion in 'AquaScaping World Magazine Discussions' started by John N., Sep 17, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Please share your comments on Aziz Dhanani's article, Siamese Algae Eaters.

[​IMG]

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I think its worth to mention that they eradicate moss as good as algae. They will eat the fresh shots on all the moss within days, leavin a bare string left.

So it you want to grow moss - dont do it with SAE in the tank.

I have also seen my SAEs eat cladophora sp. algae, that are painstakingly impossible to get rid of.
  3. John N.

I've seen SAE's pick at the Beard Algae in my tank, but they never consumed all of it. Perhaps I'll try feeding them less fish food and see if they will start working on it.

I should also mention that it's completely true that SAE's a wild jumpers. I found two crusted on the carpet a long while back...and I know I didn't put them there. ;)

-John N.
  4. KDahlin

KDahlin New Member

It's too bad they get so big; I have a 55 gallon tank stocked with dwarf cichlids and I don't want my biggest fish being an algae eater.
  5. Park

Park New Member

Quote from the article : "...Having more than one real Siamese algae eater in the same tank is also not recommended as males are known to behave aggressively towards one another in staking out territory."

I thought that they ought go more than one together? :confused:

Quote from http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/: "...It is an active and fast swimmer, which thrives best in schools but can also be kept alone or in pairs."

I've always been told to keep them 5 or more together...? My school of SAE is doing fine, although I've more than one male... That's my experience! :)
  6. John N.

It probably refers to not having an all male tank of SAEs. You DO want to keep the SAEs in schools. When they're happy, algae isn't. :)

-John N.
  7. 10gallontank

10gallontank New Member

I have heard of people havind bad luck with them. As they get older they rely more on the body slime of slower moving fish ie. discus than algae.

Chris
  8. zebrapl3co

zebrapl3co New Member

I hope you realize that the fish in this picture is not a SAE but rather a false SAE ...
    [​IMG]
  9. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Yeah, that picture is of a flying fox.
    SAE's have black outlines on the scales, transparent fins, and the top and bottom have total contrast from the stripe in the middle.
    You can't see it in this photo, but flying foxes have one more set of barbels than the SAE's.
  10. Dan Pellegrini

Dan Pellegrini New Member

I strongly discourage everyone I know from getting SAEs. I have had many and don't think that the pros outweigh the cons. They will not fix your algae problems.

PROS -
    - Rumored to eat BBA (never seen them do much to large quantities) - they will eat dead BBA, after a spot treatment, but so will any shrimp you might have
    - Will eat other algae in the tank (IF they can't find better food)

CONS -
    - They prefer whatever you are feeding your other fish and will eat that before starting on your algae
    - They also tend to prefer mosses and fine leaf plants like Mayaca and R Wallichii to algae, and can devastate these and similar plants.
    - They get very large and can be aggressive when older
    - They all but stop eating algae with age
    - They are not attractive fish (IMO)
    - They are extremely difficult to catch when you want to remove them

Here is an example of them starting on some Rotala Wallichii:

[​IMG]

And here is some video and shots of what they will do to mosses:

http://www.aquamoss.net/Articles/Sia...uatic-Moss.htm
  11. Dan Pellegrini

This is still the best ID explanation I have seen on the web. They are pretty easy to ID once you have had one or two of them:

[​IMG]
  12. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Yikes, I need to up my shrimp count and loose these SAE's of mine.
  13. soundtweakers

soundtweakers New Member

Just want to share my experience with SAEs. I've had them growing well into maturity in my discus tank, at one point they were displaying mating rituals but no eggs was ever found. I lost all three of them all at once when my heater failed and raised my tank to 95F few month ago.

They did eat whatever I fed my discus, they were crazy about blood worms. I thought they didn't do much algae control because they're always the first to attack the food. But I realize I might be wrong "ONE WEEK" after they were gone. Hair algae started to appear and eventually took over all of my plants and driftwood and even on the gravel.

The only thing negative I would say about them is that they spook the heck out of my discus when they(discus) were young. And also you can never catch them without destroying half of your aquascape. I do miss them.
  14. heeke

heeke New Member

I would say that this article, as well as many others, have errors due to the fact that SAE´s and false SAE'e still get mixed up for some reason. The wrong photo in the article says it all.

I have had SAE's for some years and don't find them anything near agressive. They swim quite hysterical but they are not agressive. When they are young the always swim in schools but becomes more independet when the grow older.
    I've seen them eat all kinds of algea except BGA even if the of course will eat any food introduced to other fish in the tank.
    Unfortunatly the like mosses.
    I've also found some on the livingroom floor when I was moving the tank and had them in an uncovered container.
  15. starsunmoon

starsunmoon New Member

I too just found one on my floor, I had did my water change a few days ago, and well I did a really good overtop of rocks clean" and the hoods were all off, I knew they were swimming wildly "get that crazy lady outa here !!! " but I figured thye would be fine when I added the freshwater & some prime for thier stress, they were :) well all but the one who jumped ship , LOL< I found him last night hard . :( but I have more so all is not lost . I havent seen' them eat plants but now that I have read all this , and I can tell when you guys are talking about the flying fox' , it is NOT like the sea in behavior at all !! but the watchilli I put in my 45 gallon, where I have 7 sae's yes 7 . it has never had a chance to grow . I always thought I just did not have the right conditions, Now I know it was the fish . ha , well I am keeping a few of them, and selling off a few, anyone need a adult true sae?? lol but I do like the way the keep my tank cystal , I am in need of some BN plecos, I love those guys !! and they stay small unlike my big guy ' in my 55 gallon . now that I had the jumper' out of the 55 gallon, now I only have 1 sae, I think I will leave him/her that way . should be fine . I also have corys in there so they can be friends.. great write up all, I enjoyed reading . and sorry for my book, LOL I tend to write too much ~~
  16. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Just got rid of my SAE's, gave them to a friend.
    Now I am trying to grow java moss.
  17. Dan Pellegrini

Their aggressive behavior tends to be towards other SAE. Their darting around, chasing tends to upset many other fish - especially as the get larger - and they do get quite large.
  18. quatermass

quatermass New Member

It's a flying Fox -
    Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus

See Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus - The Aquarium Wiki

You can tell because it has the black line going through the Caudal.
    :)

False Flying Fox (aka FFF aka False SAE)
    Garra cambodgiensis - The Aquarium Wiki
    These are smaller than FF and less 'smart-looking'.

SAE
    Crossocheilus siamensis - The Aquarium Wiki
    These are my favourites. :celebrate:
    All are pictures from my own fish.

I have 2 FF, 5 SAE and 1 FFF in my tank. Had them for a number of years.

I got sold the FFF as a SAE and just like Aziz Dhanani said, the shop owners tried to tell me it was a SAE fry. (the wee chap goes white at night!)

The FFs do chase each other off but never to injury each other, the SAEs love to shoal or rest on large leaves together. But they're getting a little large now for this trick.

Don't keep SAE with Discus or other slow moving fish as their habit of swimming fast can disturb them.
    The shape of any of these kind of fish should give you a BIG clue - long and torpedo shaped!
    It's true that if you feed too much then they don't eat much algae. So I have fasting days.

Oh and I have a 4 year old CAE (6") in the tank as well for good measure.
    Gyrinocheilus aymonieri - The Aquarium Wiki
    Yes, pictures are mine too.

I bought him when I didn't know better.
    He's been as good as gold, though I know this was just pot luck. I do keep him well feed. I suspect if a young CAE has to resort to eating fish slime because he is starving then they learn this habit for life. He's certainly large enough now to kill others in the tank.
    He never bothers my Angel fish.

Other pictures of mine can be found at:
    Picasa Web Albums - Quatermass - My Fish

I have a 4 year old 48x18x18 tank.
  19. quatermass

quatermass New Member

It must be a cock-up as the PDF version says

"Although this fish appears to look like a Siamese Algae Eater, it is actually a Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopteru). Notice the smooth scales on its body compared to a real SAE. "

Looks like the Editor has changed the Authors article. :)

You've got it 100% correct. Same with me. :hi:
    Lovely fish the SAE.
  20. quatermass

quatermass New Member

Well I don't see a Bristle nose fish or Zucchini in that photo so has the author used the wrong photo?

It's plainly a Flying Fox.

I think the Editor of the site has mixed up the photo used in the PDF article with the author's original.

See Issue 7 PDF http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/pdf/ASW_Issue7_Sept2008.pdf