1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Fish jumping from opentop aquariums!

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Richie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I hope my SAE's eventually jump out once my algae issue is all under control, then I can actually grow some java moss for once. I also hope my yoyo's jump out once my snails are gone because there's no way I'll catch them.

Sponsored link:

2. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

I've never had any problems with tetras jumping. The other two I'm not sure about.

3. rich815

rich815 New Member

I have an open top 72 gal. In the 1 1/2 years or so since I've had it the following have jumped out:

Danios
    Angelfish
    Penguin Tetras (had 10, all but one jumped out within a month. Now had that last one over a year and still do)
    Espei rasboras (about 5 or so, but two that have never jumped out after the first 5 did in the first few weeks)
    Swordtails
    Dwarf puffers

But my three SAEs, that I've had for about 5 months now, have never jumped out.

4. echofish

echofish New Member

I have had one SAE jump and maybe 2 Rasbora's. But not since I starting leaving a night light on.(referring to earlier post)I know it sounds silly, maybe just a fluke? But now I am scared to not have it on. Also I no longer have SAE in-there because yes, i think they will jump! But still have a bunch of Rasbora's and Blue eyed fork tails, no jumpers since the light? been some months. keep my fingers crossed always with an open tank. for some reason I would fear a ghost catfish in a opened tank. Some one asked and mine are in a closed and I dont know why but i would not put them in an opened.

5. matt11390

matt11390 New Member

Swordtails have a tendacy to jump as well.

6. ogtoy

ogtoy New Member

my beautiful german blue ram jumped out last week.... =(

but i replaced it with a gold ram and an ELECTRIC blue ram! =)

7. Marrow

Marrow New Member

Goo-obo gudgeons are well known to jump out of open top tanks, which is odd because they are not the most brilliant swimmers but are just bloody minded, bloodfin tetras have jumped out of my tanks, amano shrimps are great escapers as well. Sewelia lineolata are quite able to slide out of rimless tanks.

8. ingg

ingg New Member

Espei Pencilfish, to my dismay. 2 left of my school of a dozen. :( Marginatus, no jumpers ever, oddest thing that the Espeis want to carpet surf.

Most killies will end up carpet surfing.