1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Fish for a 20L nano

Discussion in 'Fish' started by olitango, Jan 29, 2010.

1. olitango

olitango New Member

Hi everyone :)

I searched through the forum but i'm still not sure if a school of (let say 5) Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) would be ok in my 20L dennerle nano cube (which is more 16L than 20L).

Any advice ?

- 4 caridina mutidentata are already in
    - pH is between 6,6 to 6,9
    - KH 3/4
    - CO2 from pressurized bottle, injected directly in the filter inlet
    - canister (eden 501) filter

[​IMG]

2. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

nice scape, i like the whole in the wood a lot. why not have a betta? cause schooling fish like swimming space and in your tank they wont have much. or a school of SAE. i have 2 and they tend to go together a lot plus they'll clean some of you algae

3. olitango

olitango New Member

Hi vanscheck :)

Thanks for your suggestions.
    I had a SAE (i guess it stands for Siamese Algae Eater Crossocheilus siamensis ?) in my first tank, 10 years ago... (i kept this tank only 1 year then i had to move, no tank since then until that small one).

I remember it grew to about 5/6 cm so i'm afraid it'll not be happy in a small tank.
    I thought about some ottocinclus also but i'd really like to have small colored fishes.

Betta seems a bit to much for me regarding to the aquarium scale, but i'll think about it.

I saw on the tropica web site a nano aquarium design where they put Oryzias sp. ‘Dwarf’ fishes.

Does any of you know about them ? Are they suitable for a small tank like mine ? I do prefer Ember Tetras, but i do not want to put fishes that will be unhappy in my tank...

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Hi olitango, you grow nice HC lawn in small tank. What is your light wattage?

I like the scape except for the rotala. Is that rotala wallichii?

5. olitango

olitango New Member

Hi Shadow :)

The light wattage is 2x11W, dennerle nano light.

I'm not completely happy with the HC though because i have some yellow leaves.

I started the tank in mid decembre 2009, then started to dose 1 week later with the dennerle nano fert daily (which is the one dennerle sells with the nano cube), wich i guess is mainly traces.

So i think that the HC was lacking macros. Since 1 week i changed the fert method and now i daily add 5 drops of pps-pro macro formulae, and 1 drop of seachem flourish.

Daily wc of 1 liter.

I'll see if the yellow leaves problem will be solved...

Yes it is rotala walichii, i added it 1 week ago. What don't you like with it exactly ?
    I'm pretty curious to know because i do like your scapes, and i'm hungry to learn :)

The first idea was to have a whole background of eleocharis parvula, but i tried some colors to see what it looks like.

The plan is to trim it quite a lot when it will be well setup so it look less unbalanced with the eleocharis parvula.

The problem also is the handle the ugly tech stuff : heater, inlet/outlet (i still didn't found the proper glassware for the eden 501, if someone can give me a clue to by it here in europe, it would be great !).

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

There should be 10mm lily pipe (ADA or 2rd party) which should fit Eden 501 hose.

Regarding the scape, when I look at the tank my eyes was drawn by unique wood but then distracted by R. walichii red tip. In other word my focus was forcedly move from unique wood to not so unique stem plant. Not sure how it is look like after you trim it though.

7. olitango

olitango New Member

yes, i see, your remark is very interesting !
    thank you very very much, i'll think about it :)

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

mosquito rasbora
    galaxy rasbora
    there are so many these days .. dward corysd are sweet to, and they schoal all over the tank not only at the bottom ^^

9. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

why not buy some kuhli loaches? or some corydoras..there small and school sometimes and they funny to watch

10. olitango

olitango New Member

Thank you all for you suggestions :)

I think i'll go for mosquito rasboras...

11. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

normal corys will get too big for a nano tank, they grow up to 5cm lenght
    kuhli loaches will destroy the whole scape each time you scare them ..