1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First timer.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by HenrySheehan, Feb 2, 2017.

1. HenrySheehan

HenrySheehan Aspiring Aquascaper

I can connect the heater to the jbl tubing and not the Fluval tubing. Thats great Lucasgg, I'd never heard of it so was just going off the sales guys recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. HenrySheehan

So what's wrong with the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 LED 48in? I'd only need one and I'd be saving about 700 euro over the two Kessil A360we's I'd need.

Have I just stumbled across something here or is it too good to be true??????????

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Henry

I do not know any thing about that light other than there is a big variations in the cost.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. keithgh

Henry

Have I just stumbled across something here or is it too good to be true??????????

It could be a case of "Buyer beware"

5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Don't think it would have enough light lumen output! what was the size off your tank ?

6. HenrySheehan

120×60×50cm

7. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

So I'll do that maths just for referance in thread

120 x 60 x 50 = 360,000 cc so 360Litres will be a bit less OFC so say 350litres

Tropicas website on light advises 10 to 20 lumuns per litre for easy plants and 20 to 40 lumens per litre for medium plants

so 350 x 10 = 3,500lumens at the lower end to double 7,200Lumens at the upper range for easy plants

and 7,200 to 14,000Lumens for medium plants

Whats the output for the fluval LED! plus whats your plant list!

8. HenrySheehan

4,250 lumens for the Fluval. And I'm planning on planting Eleocharis sp. mini as the carpeted plant and Hemianthus Micranthemoides as the background plant. 4,250 ant gonna cut the mustard is it

9. HenrySheehan

Thanks for above post too Zeus. Great info as usual.

keithgh likes this.
  10. HenrySheehan

Finding it hard to find the lumens for the kessil a360we. On their site it says 6000 to 9000k. Is that the lumens output?

Also changed around my scape this evening. I'd like to incorporate a beach into the front. I've a couple of rocks with cave like features and feel it might work. But then I look at some of the setups I put together and I think not!!!!
    May need smaller rocks around the beach. Anyhow here's a few I did up today.
    First two are different and the last three are the same but from different angles.

I can see now that the three across the back are very structured. Do ye think the beach head is a possible runner though?
    Tank looks a little cramped. I can take it out to 150cm but then I'm concerned about needing three kessils a360we's so came down to 120cm.

I also think that my large rock is just too large. I'm finding it hard to like it in any position. Then when I came home I was thinking of turning it on its side maybe and using it as a cliff like feature running on one end of the tank from front to side.

Thank God I'm in no immediate rush. Nows the time to be experimenting I suppose.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

K, or kelvin is a measurement of the color a light produces. I would scrap the beach idea and follow through with the perfected iwagumi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenrySheehan and keithgh like this.
  12. keithgh

Henry

To be perfectly honest your Aquascape is very difficult to explain. You have some excellent well sculptured rocks and they are just not in the best location to show them off to their best.
    The biggest rock is a good starting point, the rock RH end and, the three front and centre are also good rocks which might be able to group together.

I will think more later today.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  13. keithgh

Henry

[​IMG]

At the moment I would keep No1 rock in that position.
    No2 is two rocks very close together and looks very good but position is wrong.
    No3 again a good rock but wrong position.

Can you remove all the other rocks for the moment as they "could be used later".

Re the substrate keeping it level at the front 6-8 cm deep

Height of tank not shown this makes it rather difficult can you build the ends an back up please cardboard will do as it will not be taking any weight.

14. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

If you do find out can you let me have the link too. Poor of Kessil not to give the figures as it would make life so much easier. Not all LEDs are equal in their converstion in watts to lumens too. So mine are 40watt and the 360 are 90watt. Since getting the kessils have been looking into doing a custom LED array so I can do away with my T5 lights, so been doing lots of reading around pming folk who have made custom arrays.

In summary

COB LEDS are the way to go very efficient/powerful but new ones coming out almost weekly.
    Caution with the ones on ebay- not always up to what they claim, spectrum output varies also.
    Getting the right spectrum can be hard- have found some then only to find out they dont do the 6500K that Im after.
    Look for a good attached PDF with the chips which gives all the data, if their isnt one theres a reason IMO.

The nice thing about two 360 if you have them mounted on a rimless tank is access will be great. My tank is rimmed with a hood so access is poor. rimless with a hanging canopy LED or T5 tubes is excellent. Two 360s would be even better.

Main reason I went for rimmed tank was Water loss esp in winter didnt want a damp room. plus with doing it as a room divider the pumping would of been very difficult with rimless. But on maintenance day is a real pain, even cleaning the glass the hood needs to come off to do a decent job. A rimless tank with two Hanging kessil 360s would be a dream to do, dip your arm in anytime for spot cleaning mods etc.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  15. keithgh

lucasgg and HenrySheehan like this.
  16. HenrySheehan

17. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

That is a very old thread keith only had a quick read and LEDs have come on a long way. He does mention its not all about lumens per se for plant growth you also need the right spectrum/wavelength

so plants use
    [​IMG]

Good thread on spectrum is with how the tank will look is
    Cheap HO T5 fluorescent tubes
    which help me pick the best T5 tubes to complement my kessils, I went for the
    philips TL5 HO 90 De Luxe 24W 965 (MASTER) | 55cm - Daylight which happens to be 6500K

spectrum output for various T5 tubes

[​IMG]

kessil spectrum
    [​IMG]

Not too bad for plants and algae to grow in. Getting the spectrum perfect for Plant grow and not algae is tricky in water. esp with Iwagumi :whistle:

Worse recommendation for any product is the salesperson, never meet one who really knows his stuff. Will sell you anything.

18. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

19. HenrySheehan

I can't even afford to see it [​IMG]

Zeus and lucasgg like this.
  20. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

works on my phone and Lappy - pm you a copy off post ;)
    Might be a members only area :rolleyes: worth signing up as free

HenrySheehan likes this.