1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First timer.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by HenrySheehan, Feb 2, 2017.

1. HenrySheehan

HenrySheehan Aspiring Aquascaper

So I just did up my PH tests. I did exactly as you said Zeus.

Just before the Co2 came on, the PH was 7.25.
    I then tested it every half hour when the Co2 came on. I've the Co2 programed to come on two hours before the lights.

The drops have been minimal to say the least.

It's gone from the first PH reading of 7.25 at 15.00hrs to
    & the last reading at 20.00hrs just before the Co2 turned off read 7.08.

So it took 4 hours to reach its final drop of 7.08, so I turn on the Co2 4 hours before lights! This would mean that the Co2 is only on with the lights for one hour. The other 4 hours that the lights are on there would be no Co2.

Is the easy explanation for the small drop the simple fact that I'm just not pumping enough Co2 into the tank?

Or is everything hunky-dory?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

With a pH drop of 0.2pH it's fine if you want the CO2 to make little difference.
    I have a pH drop of over 1.0pH. well over. Most folk aim for a pH drop of 1.0pH
    Did you get a Drop Checker no need to answer I think at that pH drop think it would still be blue!

Need much more IMO a DC would help to gauge the [CO2]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. HenrySheehan

I do have a DC and it does turn a dark green, most definitely not blue anyhow.

Am I right in saying that I should have the Co2 coming on 4 hours before the lights, meaning, have I the formula of what you described correct?

I am going to bump up the Co2 tmw, can I do the ph test again tmw or should I give it a day or two to settle in.

Also, odd question I'm sure but since my WC are so easy to do, should I continue to do a WC every day for another week or seeing as I've the first week down should I now only do one every second day??

Also saw two snails on my glass, obviously came in with the plants, should I remove them?[​IMG]

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Henry

I will leave all your water info in the capable hands of Zeus.

Re that snail my opinion of the common snail in a tank is "The only good snail is a dead snail"

Keith:cat::cat:

HenrySheehan likes this.
  5. HenrySheehan

Ha ha, thanks Keith, that's all I needed to know

6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Good I would aim for yellow. But when CO2 has been on for hours or just before CO2 off the DC colour is a reasonable

indication of [CO2] in the DC area. But more the DC around tank day by day and should give another indication of [CO2] in different parts of tank.

I would advise trying to do a pH profile on WC day as the starting pH tends to be different - well does on mine

mine does change a little over photo period its about 0.1pH. The overall pH drop just doesnt seem enough IMO

I would do it less for second week, then cut it down again

Remove them but you will be lucky to get rid off them all. But Snails also handy as they will go to top of tank when [CO2] starts to get critical so will help you find the upper limits of the BPS rate for tank. maybe a good way to get them too. Diferent snails like fish have different critical levels Have a nitrile snail in 50L tank that spends all day at top of tank it goes to the piont of just before the CO2 atomiser is fixed, but another pest snail is happy all day in tank

Also if you change the CO2 BPS which in turn changes the [CO2] in the tank it takes 2-3 weeks for the plants to adjust

Quote Clive (CO2 Guru) at UKAPS

we know that when the plant senses that high concentrations of CO2 is available, it responds by reducing the production of expensive Rubisco. When it senses a lower CO2 concentration it must increase Rubisco production, however because this protein is so complicated and heavy, the increased production requires 2-3 weeks in order to change the density in the leaf to match the new gas concentration level. So it is much easier to reduce production than it is to increase production. When increasing gas injection therefore, it hardly takes any time to see an improvement in health. When lowering the concentration, the plant will suffer because it must now ramp up Rubisco production to account for the loss of CO2 availability.
    Unquote

So until CO2 stable not too much light. Plus any change in intensity should be gradual as it stresses the plant at first whilst it ready to handle the extra intensity, so slowly. I Bad at turning it up too fast too

Getting CO2 right at this stage will pay off long term, do you have a spare CO2 cylinder?

keithgh likes this.
  7. HenrySheehan

Thanks, lot to take in there.

Main thing I'm taking away is, get another cylinder!!

8. keithgh

Henry

As usual Zeus has given you excellent advice.

9. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

The KH off your water may be low so it might not take alot of CO2 to get the [CO2] good. all tanks are different i have high kH so it takes loads of CO2. But worse you can do is kill all the snails ATM

HenrySheehan likes this.
  10. keithgh

Zeus
    What would you recommend to raise the kH a little slowly and safely?

I used to put a small amount into the toe of a stocking and place it in my filter, by doing it that way it's easy to adjust or remove very easily.

11. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Yes/No/Maybe. Controling the [CO2] is very tricky hence most problems in CO2 injected tanks are CO2 related.
    I prefer not to change the kH but mine is high. Yes could get RO unit but then would need to be able to store 250litres, just not worth it for me.
    But with a low kH controling CO2 can be very tricky as the [CO2] changes so fast as nothing is buffering it. You seen the charts graphs ( would put them in but on mobile)
    So may be worth considering.
    I would up the BPS get the DC to change yellow, light yellow. The compare the pre CO2 pH with the pH when yellow.

pH of my tank just before water change was 8.0pH target pH 6.6 so massive change but each tank is different.

Henry is in a great place right know, planted tank no livestock. Great time to play with the CO2

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

keithgh and Culprit3 like this.
  12. HenrySheehan

When you say low/high Kh, what numbers are you talking about. My Kh is 9.

I'd wanted to get some fish in for the Christmas period but now that that won't happen I'm happy to give it a few weeks with no fish and try and nail this Co2.

Just seen on another forum that a lad is running his Co2 24/7. Mine is on for 5 hours, 3 b4 lights come on. Tank last night was full of Co2 bubbles but the DC was still a dark green. Getting plenty of photosynthesis as well. No sign of any algae, I'm putting that down to the frequent water changes.

13. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Heres the graphs etc
    upload_2017-12-24_13-50-9.png

Plus
    upload_2017-12-24_13-53-2.png
    So going off the top chart a pH between 7pH and 7.4pH puts you in the 10-25ppm CO2 for your tank.

But we have the remember the pH pen isnt telling the true pH its a guide only to the pH which gives us a idea of what the [CO2] is

wasteful, if I left my CO2 on 24/7 it would last ? normally last a month with it on 6hours.

Henry if your happy with it get the fish when ready, its always your call m8 or should I say the wifes :whistle:

keithgh and HenrySheehan like this.
  14. keithgh

Henry
    I would listen to what Zeus has to say rather than what is said on another Forum.

15. HenrySheehan

Completely agree Keith.

I'm running my tank on the advice Zeus is giving me

keithgh likes this.
  16. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

17. HenrySheehan

Ive read a good bit of his stuff, I love one of his lines in relation to Co2, "we are dissolving a gas which in a way is like herding cats"

keithgh and Zeus like this.
  18. keithgh

Henry
    It will not belong before you will be helping other members just like Zeus is helping you.

19. HenrySheehan

I look forward to being able to help out, once I get some practical experience under my belt. Bad info from newbies who think they know it all can be detrimental to a noob.

Culprit3 and keithgh like this.
  20. keithgh

Henry

With any Forum there is always a little incorrect information posted. With good Forums that is always corrected by the Admin and Moderators.

HenrySheehan likes this.