1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First timer.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by HenrySheehan, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

IMO I honestly think it looks really good without DW but if you do put DW back in eventually I would move the large rock on the right to the left and tilt it towards the DW on the right. I think it would create a good sense of balance. Looks really good right now though. Seems to have a good sense of depth and with planting could look great. What substrate is that?

HenrySheehan likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. HenrySheehan

HenrySheehan Aspiring Aquascaper

Ya the co2 is flowing, impossible to count bubbles. I must start testing over the weekend. Are those pens easy to use?

All substrate is from ADA.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Culprit3 likes this.
  3. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Dead easy IMO for less than £20. Doesn't matter about the actual pH it's the change in pH from CO2 on to lights on (about 1pH) then the change during the light period ( ideally no change ) CO2 off 2 hrs before end of photo period.

Yes needs to be safe for fish etc, but needs stable pH for photoperiod for plants to do well.

With the lights you have if you don't get the CO2 right there will be issues, they may take months to show, did with my tank.

Will add more on it if you like but late ATM.

4. HenrySheehan

20 pounds, that sounds like a no brainer. I'll educate myself tmw and have a look on amazon then

Cheers as always.

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Henry

Honestly I am completely lost with your Aquascape.
    Across the front you have what looks like five rocks in a row, then there is that massive rock towards the back of the tank.
    Seeing you have started planting its practically impossible to move any of those rocks around.

I sounds like you are happy with the hardscape and that is one of the main points.

Zeus will give you excellent advice on getting all the High Tech hardware working perfectly.

Keith:cat::cat:

HenrySheehan likes this.
  6. HenrySheehan

I know what your saying, it just kind of happened that way. I do like it and more importantly so does my wife, thank God for the untrained eye!!

My biggest concerns though are getting it up and running and addressing any algae issues asap. I ordered a ph pen last night and hope to have that next Tuesday.

I'm going to learn as much as I can with this particular scape and address any aesthetic issues further down the line.

Little nuggets of info like the ph pen are invaluable to noobs like me so that's where my main focus is.

I'm thinking of clean my filters too as they have been running for the last two months.

As it is i can't wait till today's WC

Culprit3 likes this.
  7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Happy days

(y) only issue with a pH pen is you cant measure the pH in the depths of the tank. So important to have good flow in tank

Do you have a Drop Checker (DC) to measure the [CO2] They may be slow can take 2hrs to give a change but handy, some says aim for green colour, mine goes light yellow or is it clear :rolleyes:

Problem with getting a Good pH drop and corresponding [CO2] is it takes time, bigger the tank the longer it takes. Hence the CO2 booster line and the trickle CO2 line I have gets the pH drop in 50mins. then the booster line is off for rest of photoperiod. Then the trickle CO2 line is only on and it maintains the [co2] quite stable. it works great IMO

With a single co2 injection you dont have the luxury of a booster line, so it takes MUCH longer to get the pH drop. Having a stable [CO2] for the whole of the photoperiod is the goal. Having it slowly increasing during the photoperiod is a NO NO. The plants adjust their internal biological mechanisms to the [CO2] so it needs to be stable. With the max pH drop at Lights on ideally then stable, plus have lights at lower intensity for first 30mins is common practice if you can with good reasons as the plants take a little time to be able to photosynthesis at their full potential. The last 2hrs of photoperiod CO2 off - reason plants have had their fill of light and the [CO2] wont fall much ( my pH does change much in last 2hrs when CO2 off).

So when do we have co2 on - most folk go for 2hrs before lights on, which may be fine in smaller tanks and low [CO2] but my 50l tank takes over 2hrs to get the pH drop. I have it on 3hrs before lights - But small tank and does use much CO2. Due to the Booster on my big tank being unplugged it hasn't been on for a few days, just noticed it today with getting home early from work. so 3.5 hrs had past since CO2 was on and still hadnt got the full pH drop.

The pH pen in combo with the DC will help you to find the pH an aprrox [CO2] of your tank, how long it takes to get the a stable pH drop, pH pen instant reading, DC VERY VERY slow

Step one calibrate pH pen or not doesn't matter IMO the actual pH of tank doesn't matter the pH you reading is a guide to [CO2]

Step 2 when your CO2 has been on for Hours or just befor it goes off, when color is the DC and measure the pH say its 6.5

Step three measure pH of tank before CO2 on say its 7.5 then measure it every 30min make a graph and you will have how long it takes to get your pH drop to 6.5. That time is how long the CO2 needs to be on before lights on, it may slowly creep up during photo period most single CO2 injection do. But you will have to make a judgement call. 'CO2 is free' use that theory and you will get the most from it. my 500l tank uses a 6Kg CO2 bottle every month.

Was chatting with a CO2 guru at UKAPS and his 700l tank was using a 22Kg cylinder every 5-6 weeks.

Hope you have a spare CO2 cylinder.

Hope that helps

Zeus

How much pH drop do I have- well if a feed my fish before the last hour of photo period, they get so excited and active at sight/smell of food and feeding some go belly up and float like their dead in tank in the current, they recover in a few mins, so I'm close to the critical point with some of my fish.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  8. HenrySheehan

Wow, now that's a reply with a ton of info, but most importantly it's understandable.

I haven't gotten a drop checker, yet!
    To be honest I've been a little blasè when it comes to the co2. I just have it running an hr b4 lights and off an hour b4 lights go off.

For my flow, I have two filters running so one outlet in the back left with the co2 attached which is facing along the back wall of the tank towards the other outlet which I have faced back into the middle of the tank at a 45° angle. The co2 outlet is at a depth of around half way down the tank. The other one is just below the surface.

Out of interest, do you go back to your lfs to refill the co2 or where?
    My lfs is an hour and 45 mins away.

I can pretend the co2 is free Zeus, but diesel........

Culprit3 likes this.
  9. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

From what you have explained about your filter outlets I don't think your making the most out of there output to maximise the flow in the tank. May be better if they both complemented each other to increase the flow/turnover. A spray bar along the back of the tank may be worth considering. But see how it goes.

Get my CO2 refills from a local gas refill supplier. Does O2 CO2 etc for industry welding etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Culprit3 likes this.
  10. HenrySheehan

I have two spray bars if needs must. At the moment the flow is like this.

As I said the co2 outlet is half way down the tank and the other one is near the top.
    From watching the tank there seems to be a good flow but that's not to say there's not dead spots that I'm missing.[​IMG]

11. keithgh

Henry

That is my problem my eyes were designed over 60 years ago when I started getting interested in design work.

I cleaned my big canister filter once a month, it became a must do job.

The smaller filters are always a weekly must do job.

Culprit3 and Zeus like this.
  12. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I would have the spraybars on, both on the back of tank. with the inlet on the left feeding the outlet on the right. Spraybars aimed at front of tank, but your call OFC.

Found Roughneck 52005 Mini Wire Brush great for cleaning rocks
    Flexible Double Ended Aquarium Water Hose Pipe Cleaning Brush great for cleaning hoes and filters I got two

Thats pretty frequent for a low tech tank, but a good thing as you cant clean them too much. But your tanks did look great Keith.

I didnt do my filter very often at first and still paying the price IMO, do them most WC knowadays, high tech tanks esp if using very high [CO2] produce more detritus and toxins as growing faster, so removal of the detritus in the filter stops the detritus clogging the filter up so keeps flow optimum, and removal of the detritus from the filter means less toxins in tank from the detritus breaking down in the filter as your removing them. So make it a must do job, do one filter as see what its like and take it from there. But dont leave it months like I did

HenrySheehan likes this.
  13. HenrySheehan

The hoses attached to my filters at the moment aren't long enough to switch corners. I'll get new ones.

I'll keep on top of cleaning the filters as well. Clean one of them every week maybe, or both, I should be able to make a call on the frequency once I have a look at them.

Thanks men.

keithgh likes this.
  14. Culprit3

Atm I clean the canister every month. Always a job I dread.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  15. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Just done mine it needed it , last did it last week ;)

The more you do it the easier it gets

Culprit3 and HenrySheehan like this.
  16. Culprit3

Somehow I always manage to half flood my room, and spill water everywhere.

17. keithgh

At the most it would take me 10 minutes. The small weekly HOB only a few minutes.
    Mess what mess train your self to have every thing ready and the rest is easy.
    Thank you Zeus as you know all my tanks were low Tech.
    My only advice to any one starting Hi Tech only buy high quality equipment not hardware because its looks the same and its cheaper. Its only cheap for one reason.

18. Culprit3

Its a lot harder with a canister then it is with an HOB. When I used an HOB I would do a weekly clean in less then 2 minutes. Canister filter clean takes me 30 min easy. Makes a huge mess. It always astounds me though just how much extra water volme a big canister gives me. Mine holds easily a gallon mabye a gallon and a half

19. keithgh

Culprit
    I was referring to my large Eheim canister . Once you have a system its easy and fast.

Keith :cat::cat:

Culprit3 likes this.
  20. HenrySheehan

Cleaned my jbl e1500 last night. Took me 15 mins max. And that's my first time doing it.

There wasn't a whole lot to it.

keithgh and Zeus like this.