1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First timer.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by HenrySheehan, Feb 2, 2017.

1. HenrySheehan

HenrySheehan Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi guys. So been doing a bit of reading and I've been looking at the fishless cycling stage.
    Quick question for ye. (May be ridiculous)
    As I'll have all my equipment just sitting around waiting for my house to be finished, could I go ahead and begin the fishless cycle in my tank? I'm talking about my tank been empty with just the water in it and my two filters running. Run the cycle for as long as I want, empty the tank, move it up to my house when ready, put in all my soil stone etc and start planting and adding fish straight away? It'll be the same tap water that my house will be using by the way.

Is this a possibility? It'd just mean I hit the ground running and as I have all my equipment I'd like to make use of it. Oh and I'm assuming I wouldn't need to have my lights on.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Why not just cycle with the aquasoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Henry

It certainly is very possible "PROVIDING"

You can get it running again possibly preferably under the hour reason being the longer there is no water movement through the filter plus no heater the more of your "Good bacteria" will be lost. Its exactly the same when you have a power outage. As soon as you have the tank set up filter and water only I would add a double dose of Seachem Stability to boost your good bacteria again.

I would not be concerned about completing the setup until you are ready. If you have never moved into a new home you will find out why I have replied this way.
    One point you must check will you have power on. I moved on a Fri and I had no power until Mon morning. No aquariums only one refrigerator and one freezer both full of food. I managed to run an extra long lead from the house being built next door.

I would also be considering transferring at least 50% of the original water naturally in water containers.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

What about the DSM stage ?
    I cycled my filter before I used it. Used the used a bin, fill with water, added few fish flakes every so often. Did it for weeks.
    Kieth has a point, but I did read an article about the bacteria in our filters are much tougher than we think. The ideas they will die without flow after a couple of hours, is probably an urban myth. At the same time keeping no flow in the filter to a minimum is a wise move

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Oh forgot, added urea too whilst cycling the filter, had I good local supply

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. keithgh

Zeus

I did say preferably and the longer the more of the good bacteria will be lost.

I had the power out for more than three hrs once. The supply company had notified advising me the date and time. I was ready I covered the tank with blankets to keep the fish quiet and the water warm. I double dosed for the next 3-4 days plus two 30% water changes two days apart. I never lost a fish.

One thing I have learnt all my working/trade teaching and retirement life it pays to always be on the safe side.

Keith :cat::cat:

7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Agree with you all the way keith, shorter the better. Article did say that the recovery of the bacteria even after a long span is faster than previously thought. Makes sense as they have been doing it for a long time.

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  8. keithgh

Zeus

I don't think any hobbyist has ever pushed the limit. Seachem might have done some trials possibly many years ago.

Every thing would depend on how healthy the tank was before the power outage. Over the years I have heard and of tanks that were extremely unhealthy and I don't think what bacteria was there would last very long. I personally knew of two both relatives all info from the pet shop who they trusted. I tested one and was well informed I could keep an adult Betta in a 1lt glass tank no filter or heater and only top up the water when necessary.

Another good reason to always have a healthy fish tank and filtration system.

9. HenrySheehan

@lucasgg I'd love to have the aquasoil and everything set up but it's the weight. I'd be afraid of my life of moving it upto the house.

Zeus that's a great idea, get a large bin and use that. Then it'd be simple to transfer 50% of the original water as well. Anyone specific type of bin I should use and for how long I should run it?

10. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I used the garden waste bin for some time then later just used a used one 60*35*30cm. Didn't use the water as read very little bacteria transfers over, as the bulk of it is in the filter media ofc. Didn't bother with heaters either and it was winter. Had it in garage. Just popped in once/twice a week for urea dose ;)
    Think it only took about a week after DSM and flooding and tank was good for cleaning crew.

11. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Longer the better

12. HenrySheehan

Brilliant. I can run it for a month, two - three months. Hell, I can run it from this week :) :)

Would I ever have to change my filter media?
    How often did you add the fish flakes & urea?
    Large plastic bin on the shopping list this week so. ;)

13. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Yes mine ran for months, was soaking a large piece of DW at first. I upgraded my filter media from the start to from the Fluval ceramic rings to BIOHOME ULTIMATE FILTER MEDIA which should last years with a rinse now and then.
    Feed the filter a coupe a times a week, mainly urea as always handy.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  14. HenrySheehan

Should I put my stone in the bin as well?
    My seiryu stone will raise the ph in my actual tank, will this help to lower the ph in my tank if I do water changes in the bin mock up or will the seiryu stone never lose it ability to raise ph levels?

15. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I would say there's no need to put it in. The seiryu stone will lose its ability to change the pH but only when it has fully dissolved. I did do WC but not very often as no livestock except bacteria ofc. Only cleaned the filter just before flooding the tank.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  16. keithgh

Henry
    Moving an empty tank is always the safest its the extra weight that can cause a problem. If its a larger and heavier tank I would advise carrying it on a strong piece of a sold board that should stop it from twisting.

Storing water lager amounts I used a new black garbage bin naturally I gave it a very good cleaning first. For carrying/water change I always used water containers that had a screw top.
    When I was using the rubbish bin I stored it in the second shower just in case the bin split which they can. In other words store it in a safe location just in case of a leakage,

HenrySheehan likes this.
  17. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have long suspected this. I just don't have the time to setup a decent experiment to prove it.

Zeus likes this.
  18. HenrySheehan

Purchased this today and ran a few tests on my tap water.

Ph is 7.1.
    Amonia is .20
    Kh is 18.
    Gh is 17.
    Nitrate is 5ppm
    Nitrite is 0

All good except for Kh and Gh. Gulp. Almost emptied the bottles of drops
    What the consequences of it being this high?[​IMG][​IMG]

ShadowMac likes this.
  19. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Those are very high. It would be good to provide context to the numbers. If you can get a water report you should see how much Calcium and Magnesium you have in your water. My local water used to supply that information, but they no longer do in their yearly report for whatever reason. It would let you know if you need to dose it. I generally dose Mg anyways.

Believe it or not, many aquatic plants live in hard water, some have adapted to use KH as a carbon source. For the most part you should be able to grow plants fine. You will likely not be able to grow some more sensitive species like erios or sygonanthus species. They aren't that great for scaping anyways. Most plants, particularly hardy good to scape with plants will do fine.

If you do choose to soften the water, the only way to really do that is with an RO/DI system. Many people who choose this route cut their tap with it to soften the water and avoid having to remineralize.

HenrySheehan likes this.
  20. HenrySheehan

The waters from my own private well.

I'll have to test those 2 myself & of course the test lab I got can't test calcium or magnesium. Back to the store for me