1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First tank, need opinions

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Tsunami35, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Im new to the forum, new to the hobby. Heres my first attempt at a planted tank, the colors are all off because of my camera, sorry..

30g
    inert gravel/flourite
    65w 6700k cfl, 10-12 hrs
    seachem flourish line, macro and micro
    two HOBs
    Hopefully pressurized co2 soon, right now just excel

Any opinions appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Seems like a nice tank that you could do a lot with. However eventually that sword will get too big for that tank, if not already. You could possibly change the substrate for better plant growth and looks.

Also it'd be better if you break up the micro sword into small patches so that it can be easily spread across the foreground.

3. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

The sword is already huge, I didnt know that they grew so fast when I got it. Will it hurt anything if I keep it in the tank? Will splitting the micro grass help it grow faster? The substrate is fairly big will it spread at all?

Im setting up a 10g soon and Im going to use a better soil.

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Nice tank. Keep it up. I love the crypt in the center. A couple of suggestions
    • I would trim back the larger leaves of the sword so it doesn't dominate the tank. I don't think it will hurt anything, and actually looks pretty good in my opinion. It compliments the midground crypt very well.
    • Splitting up the microsword into small thickets will help it spread faster. Hopefully the large grain of the substrate won't hinder it's progress in spreading. You'll have to wait and see.
    • It's hard to see what the plant species are, but the right side could use some trimming and plant placement adjustments to make a more open and encompassing scape.
    • Also, you can use our ASW Photo Gallery to upload your images so you don't have to attach them.
    -John N.

5. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Its hard to get a decent picture of the tank with a $60 camera. The plant species are:

amazon sword
    micro sword
    java fern
    various crypts
    java moss
    wisteria
    some sort of temple
    *I think a type of rotala
    anubias nana

I will try splitting up the micro sword and trimming the amazon sword, and Ill move the right side around to try to balance it better. Then maybe I can get some better pictures.

Thanks

6. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Well I moved some stuff and trimmed the sword a bit. Ive got another bad picture.. (getting a good picture is impossible..) What do you think about the layout now?

[​IMG]

The tank looks so much better in person.. oh well

7. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Some more pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]