1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First sign of algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Franko, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Franko

Franko New Member

Algae update:
    I got rid of all the brown algae. The Otos just went for it and the wood is completely clear of it now. The bits that were on the rock almost all gone now too, although the Otos are less keen on the rock.

However I have another type of algae now.
    Its on the glass. Pic attached. It rubs off but with difficulty. I have to use my fingernail quite hard.
    It stabilised for a couple of days, but I noticed today it has spread quite a bit.

any suggestions on this one? The Otos don't seem interested in this one at all.

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. Jeff5614

Jeff5614 New Member

It's probably GSA - green spot algae. It's usually attributed to too little CO2 for the amount of light being used or a PO4 deficiency. It grows rather slowly and the oto's won't touch it, but it can be removed with a razor, credit card, or good scrub pad until the time the underlying cause is remedied.

3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

5. Franko

Franko New Member

So far so good with the tank. Thanks to everyone's advice.
    But I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks soon. Just wondering is there some way of fetilizing while I'm away?
    Maybe slow release or some hardware which delivers a daily dose? Or should I just leave it?
    I've seen automated fish food dozers but don't have any fish yet (except for the ottos). Anything out there for the plants?

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I've known of people using ehiem auto feeders to dose the tank dry but I understand it's not very reliable.

If you reduce the light and do a few big water changes in the days before you go and maint before you go away then it should be okay but it's hard to say.

You can get perlistic (spelling mistake) pumps for dosing but they're very expensive.

7. Franko

Franko New Member

Thanks. I recon it should be ok to leave. Will do the water changes and prep as you suggest. Just hope i dont get a light failure while im away :)

8. Franko

Franko New Member

At last my ei ingredients have arrived. I have bought CaNO3 instead of KNO3 as suggested above.
    In calculating the mixture should I just calculate the same amount of CANO3 as if it were KNO3?
    I mean in 250ml of water, the recipe says add 33g of KNO3. Would that be the same amount for CANO3?
    I've been calculating based on this
    http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/EI.htm

9. gmartins

gmartins New Member

The difference is irrelevant because the molecular weight of Ca and K is roughly the same so it does not affect the calculations (<1% difference)

10. Franko

Franko New Member

Thanks a lot. Sounds good to me :)
    Hopefully the EI will kick start my haigrass. So far i've just been dosing with a general fertilizer from lfs. (no labelling and no ingredients listed.) Haigrass is doing ok and grows upwards but so far refuses to carpet despite lots of light and lots of co2.

11. Franko

Franko New Member

Hi there. Im just responding to my own post from over a year ago.
    I am still dosing using the same ei mix as above. That is i am using CANO3 instead of KNO3 as the latter is banned here in Singapore.
    Hoever I noticed that my HC cuba is looking a bit weary. I wonder whether my EI mix is light in K?? K should still be present in the KH2PO4, but as that is a much smaller constituent of the EI macro mix, it appears that I'm still light on K.

Does anyone out there who is good with EI fertilising agree? And can you suggest a remedy? I was thinking of dosing extra with Brighty K or Flourish Potassium.

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Franko,

You could be low on K. I think what you are proposing sounds good. I dose extra K in my high light setups even with full EI (although EI is supposed to have enough K anyways). I use Flourish Potassium because it is cheaper than Brighty K

13. Franko

Franko New Member

Thanks a lot Shadowmac.
    I forgot to mention that my tank is quite high light and high CO2. Im trying to grow a carpet of HC cuba with some Gosso round the edges and Hairgrass at the back.
    I have 4xT5s for 8 hours daily. Lots of CO2 (drop checker verging on yellow, but fish and shrimp seem ok).
    HC is spreading but there is some discolouration of the leaves. I'll try with the additional K and report back.

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. Franko

Franko New Member

Glad to report an almost immediate change.
    I bought some Flourish Potassium and also mixed up a fresh batch of macros. (does that stuff expire?)
    Within a day everything started growing and pearling like crazy. And thats without touching the CO2 and light which were already on high.
    Now 4 days in and theres quite a lot of new growth already.
    Now I'm more worried about overdosing :)...

15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Very difficult to overdose. The ranges we dose at even on the extreme end are completely safe. Fert mixes won't expire, especially dry ferts. Homemade solutions can get some fungus in them, but it shouldn't ruin the solution. A little excel in the solution bottle can prevent the fungus.

Shadow likes this.
  16. Franko

Franko New Member

Thats good to hear.
    As well as being lean on K, recently I was actually slightly underdosing slightly on my macros mix.
    My last setup got hair algae so bad. I thought maybe my water was too rich. At that time when I tested my NO3 it was close to 100 instead of 20. I put that down to too much ferts.
    A couple of differences this time are:
    Using old aquasoil.
    Using old bio media.
    More heavily planted this time.
    New filter (I dropped the old one while dismantling and cracked the cannister)
    Dosing with Excel 3ml every other day. (reason being I was wanting to provide a carbon backup while I was getting my CO2 right in the early stages but now I've started I dont want to stop.)

17. Franko

Franko New Member

Sorry, if quoting 3 ml of excel I should state I have 65l of water.

18. Shadow

Good idea, didn't think of that :)

19. Shadow

did you do weekly water change? you must be dosing a lots to reach 100 ppm even with weekly water change.

Algae will be there regardless your dosing, this is where algae crew is important to have. Yamato shrimps, Cherry shrimp, SAE, etc

ShadowMac likes this.
  20. Franko

Franko New Member

Yes, I do weekly water changes. Seems OK now at 20ppm. (that was my old set up that was at 100).