1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First Scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Raslad, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Here are a few shots of my new tank the water is pretty cloudy but I hope it will clear soon.

Flora:
    Vallisnera Spiralis - Tape Grass
    Cabomba Caroliniana - Fanwort
    Echinodorus Amazonicus - Amazon Sword

Fauna:
    Corydoras Ambiacus - Albino Cory (3)
    Crossocheilus Siamensis - SAE
    Pterophyllum Scalare - Angelfish (3)
    Poecilia reticubta - Guppy (2 Male)

The fish came with the tank but I don't think I'm going to keep them in the long run. All the rocks I found just in my back yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mars

Mars New Member

Nice... Water is kinda blurry...
    Kick the red rock out and replace it with one of those other rocks...
    Needs more plants...

Marsel

3. PrincessPea

PrincessPea New Member

Your angelfish are beautiful. I will be interested to see when things clear up and grow in some, I like tall narrow plants in front, it's an unusual arrangement, more common in land gardening. I think the central placement of the red rock looks like an ornament rather than an imitation of nature, that is in keeping with the formal tendencies of the planting here. Don't take it out right away.

P.P.

4. Raslad

Raslad New Member

I did a 30% water change and dosed the tank with Tetra's EasyBalance and noticed a big difference overnight. The angels did too as they spawned and laid about 4 dozen eggs. I can't find them now. I think the Corys might have helped themselves.
    Oh, well.
    [​IMG]
    Better luck next time.

[​IMG]
    People here use the natural lava rock to build really nice looking walls and stone structures and I tried to get the same kind of look here. I want to fill the upper level with Hairgrass.

[​IMG]
    I want to plant some moss or ferns in front of the left and right of the arch. Any suggestions?
    I think I'm going to take your suggestion Marsel and pull the red rock. It didn't look that different until under the light. Maybe I'll get a new bulb first.

5. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Update!

I added Dwarf Hairgrass, Java Fern, and Java Moss. All of which were bought from Aqua Botanic. (insert shameless plug here :=D>) Everything looked great, even with the trip across the Pacific. Now if I can just get my Corys to leave the Grass alone until it gets firmly rooted. :errr:
    My angels look much better. (Thanks StanChung)
    Time to sit back and wait to see how the stuff grows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Aquaspot World

Aquaspot World New Member

Spread out the hairgrass and give them a good trim. That will stimulate new growth much faster and allows it to spread better.

7. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Thanks! I assume you'd trim it like you would your lawn, right?

8. Chadly

Chadly New Member

looks nice. I think the hairgrass takes a lot away from the foreground hardscape. Although the swords are beautiful, they seem too big for that tank. I could be wrong, maybe they'll fit in nicely, but I wouldnt' add any more plants just yet.

9. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Quick update:
    All three angels died after they cleared up. None of my other fish are sick, so I'm not sure what was going on there. I added:
    3 Female Guppies (Poecilia reticulata) to give my males something to do.
    4 Penguin Tetras (Thayeria boehlkei)
    2 Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi)

My plants, on the other hand, Are doing very well.
    I did a trimming of the Fanwort and Amazon Sword. The Sword is growing nice long leaves. The Hairgrass is being thinned as my cats swim thru it and knock it around. I patiently pick a bare spot and replant it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention I set up a DIY Yeast CO2. Hopefully it will help spread the Hairgrass too.

10. Raslad

Raslad New Member

A week into and I've noticed a slight difference in plant growth with the CO2 My Java Moss wasn't really doing anything before, now I notice bright green buds as the end of all the strands. I've been dubbed a Mad Scientist by the g/f after trying to explain why I needed a bag of sugar and a jar of yeast for my tank. Evidently she's not much of a chemist. :))

I was planning on moving some rocks around but I noticed my fish have spawned again. I'm assuming it's the Penguin Tetras this time.

Question:
    I've got an old Betta bowl that will fit into my tank. Has anyone tried to make a makeshift hatchery with some screen over the top? I figure it'll keep the water right but wont let anything get to the eggs. Does anyone have a better suggestion other than setting up a separate tank?

11. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Tank looks simple and nice. I'm guessing you have a gal tank. if so the swords will get to big but for the moment looks ok.

12. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Are you intending to drop the betta bowl in the tank, with the betta and screen over the top? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's how it sounds.

I think they make some sort of plastic floating hatchery container that has vents to keep water flow inside the tank, while keeping other fish out. That might work.

Anyways, the tank looks nice. I think covering the lower stems of the sword on the right with the cabomba stems could help hide the unsightly skinny portions of sword plant.

-John N.

13. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Yes, but without the betta. All the nets my LFS store had, look way too big for my tank.

Do you think the Cabomba would overtake the Sword too quickly? Since that picture, I've pulled, trimmed and replanted most of it since it was twining into the Sword leaves. I thought it might cause the sword to get more "leggy" to compete with the Cabomba. Would Hairgrass work, instead?

14. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Oh I think I get it, so the bowl covered with the net would house the betta eggs..? Would that work? I thought male bettas would squeeze the female, captured the squeezed out eggs, and place the eggs in his bubble nest.

Anyways, you're right the cabomba grows a lot quicker then the sword, and have the potential to dominate area. With constant trimming you can keep it looking good. But for low maintanence, a larger patch of hairgrass in front of the sword would work as well. I'm not sure if you tried this yet, but if you plant the hairgrass in smaller plugs, they seem to spread a little more quickly over the planted areas.

-John N.

15. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Not betta eggs, for whatever else decides to spawn in my tank. I keep losing random eggs to a mysterious predator at night.

16. Raslad

Raslad New Member

New pics:

After A cabomba trim...
    [​IMG]

I bought some shrimp labeled "feeders" from my LFS. I was thinking they are ghost shrimp but they have gotten really dark over the past week. Pre-Shed?
    [​IMG]

17. Raslad

Raslad New Member

Quick Update:
    I pulled the 2 Amazon Swords and subbed Green Crypts. The Swords Were just getting way too big for the tank and It was hard to keep them fertilized enough to look their best.

[​IMG]
    Corys like blue gravel evidently. they keep digging it up.
    [​IMG]

This tank, while not the most artistic one ever, has taught me a lot about planted tanks. I've seriously made a lot of n00b mistakes. Maybe I'll take over my girlfriends Betta and make him a nice nano scape. It'll give me a chance to make it right from the beginning.