1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First "scape"- advise please

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by heyzeus, Aug 21, 2011.

1. heyzeus

heyzeus New Member

Hi guys,

Just finish my attempt at a aquascaping (water is still cloudy)

I think that the basis hardscape works (?) but the plants look hectic and messy. I think the right side looks a lot better then the left but the tank doesn't seem to have the harmony that the beautiful scapes on here have.

If anyone could reccomed a species of plant for a particular area of the tank that would cool.

Any critism/ advice really welcome.

Attached Files:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

hello, and welcome to ASW.

I have some tips/critiques. First, IMO, the substrate should be level in the front and then slope up towards the back. The back substrate level should be several times higher than the front level. This will help with giving the viewer a feeling of depth.

Second, it looks like it is split down the middle. If you notice in many types of visual art and design the focus point is never directly in the middle, which seems to be what you have done with the lower substrate level there and the negative space. Google aquascaping and the rule of thirds, or the golden ratio. This will help you understand where you may want to place your hardscape.

I'm not sure I can identify all of your plants, but I think I see pogostemon helferi (downoi), some amazon swords, anubias sp., a stem in the back, maybe some large java fern in the back?

Please share more of your specs like lighting, filtration/flow, CO2, substrate, fertilizing regiment.

After you rearrange your hardscape I would plant around that. The downoi is scattered. Remember when you see nature plants tend to grow in groupings together. They don't pop up here and there randomly. Keep that in mind when planting.

I also see one of those awful plastic backgrounds sold by LFS's. I used to use them too. Lose it for something like a colored foam poster board. They look much better.

thats it for now. good luck!

3. heyzeus

heyzeus New Member

Thanks Shadow

Good advice.

Will make a few changes based on your recomendations and post (better quality) pics the updated version of my tank in the critique section.

PS sorry for posting this in the wrong forum...mods pls move to critique or delete.

Thanks

4. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

actually you posted in the correct area for your post. Shadow has some great points that can really help. Your tank will come along nicely and we hope to see more pic of its development. keep them coming! Best wishes---R

5. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

is this a large amazon sword plant on the right side? i had this plant in my first scape ever, after added co2 it became a motherplant nearly as big as half of the 125 l tank. so if yours is one be carefull to keep it smaller.

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

heyzeus
    Sorry if I appear to harsh but this is what I see when I look at your tank.

Two separate tanks joined together by a central pathway.

The planting looks wrong, some of those plants might be small now but in the near future they will be huge especially if there are a some Amazon Swords and large growing plants in your tank.

There is Plant Geek a www that will give you plenty of information about plants suitable for your tank

One point no one has picked up is I am sure that tank is over loaded if not it soon will be.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Can you run this program then fill in all the details and post the results please.

My other tip start planning your next aquascape now do as much research on aquascaping as you can.

Acuadesigners

That is an excellent place to start dont just look at the tanks read all the information there is and this will explain every thing about aquascaping a tank.

Then start Googling Aquascaping

Keith

7. heyzeus

heyzeus New Member

Thanks for the comments guys very helpful- sorry in the delay in getting back, not had the net for a while.

No keith harsh is good. I want a nice tank so constructive critism is what im after.

Re your comment about 2 seperate tanks, I would like a scape that is semi-symetrical (although will apply the 1/3 rule), with two roots emerging from either side and kind of meeting in the middle. I've got some new drift wood that is larger and more intresting looking, so should do the job better. How do you suggesting creating such a scape without with out making it look seperated? A carpet plant in the foreground perhaps?

Website says stocking levels are 108%. Also says rams can't go with tetras???? and Vejitas can't go with rams in a 55 gal. which i don;t believe.

Anyway, gonna rescape this weekend andpost some pics and hopefully get some more pointers.

8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I played around with that site...I would say 108% is fine in a planted tank. That site is probably intended for non planted, colored gravel people with poor filtration and even poorer maintenance. It was interesting how conservative the site is in its estimations.

tetras are great dither species for rams. I would avoid substrate type fish like cories with rams or any apistogramma species for that matter.

that amazon sword will get huge, FYI. It will engulf half of the tank. It looks like it still has emergent growth in your pics. It will have an extensive root system as well. Beautiful plants, but you need a lot of room for them. Smaller cryptocoryne sp. will give a similar leafy impression without getting as large.