1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First "Proffesional" tank: 45 gallon Tall/Show

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by cooledwhip, May 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Thank you again guys. I will most likely buy from this website: http://www.manzanita-driftwood.com/

Unless tom's prices are much cheaper. Would you know if his stuff is cheaper?

Anyway. I will get some bio media. Could I do that just from the beginning? Or do I need to start with carbon?

Also are you SURE about the fluval aquasky? $80 is a lot of money to invest into lights, especially for something I have never heard about. I understand your opinion on LEDS and I agree with you, but mainly on smaller aquariums. IDK about this massively tall 45 gallon.

J Art likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

$80 is pretty cheap for a commercial light. A decent T5 fixture would be that and it wouldn't come with bulbs so add $30 to whatever price that is. LEDs are the go to option these days. Almost everything new being made is LED...for small, medium, large, and extra large aquariums. You are welcome to believe what you like, but an LED is the right type of light for a low to mid light tank in this 45 tall. The fluval will not do the job for a super high light tank...but that is a really bad idea in this tank. In order to get the light levels you need at the bottom for say a carpet of HC or even hair grass, you'd need at least 60 PAR...so at the top you'll end up with something like 500 PAR and algae everywhere. This is not the type of tank to put lots of light into.

The best option for this tank would be a Kessil Led, but that's several hundred dollars. With a limited budget we have to work with what is available in that category. How wide is tank? Looks to be about 24". If you ever want more light you can add another Fluval aquasky over it, but for the layout I suggested it would be fine. I don't think you should do the swords...but again you are welcome to do what you like, I cannot help you from yourself. Maybe you could do an apontogen species instead of a sword... but planting in the substrate will mean you need a planted substrate. If you do that you could also do several crypts. Swords are big and I wouldn't recommend there use in things under 60 gallons.

You will not be running CO2, so you cannot go crazy with light. Slapping 4x24 watt T5 HOs is not what you want to do. The Fluval will be in the lower to mid-light range. You do not want more than that. Dimming is a good feature to have. Or you can suspend the light above and adjust the height to get the right light levels. If you want something cheaper, check out @J Art 's DIY LED.

3. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok I will buy the fluval aquasky. Thanks for convincing me, it makes sense now about why I can't use high powered lights.

Yeah kessil lights look amazing I've seen them online and they look so cool. Such a clean look to them. But if I buy enough java ferns I think this will look nice. I plan on getting the sand tomorrow, as well as set up the sand, and the rock. Should I fill it after that is set up or should I wait for the driftwood?

Also the tank dimensions are 30 inches tall, 20 inches wide, and 18 inches deep.

This is the shortest aquasky I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Aquask...qid=1464397495&sr=1-1&keywords=fluval+aquasky

I think it will hang over the tank...

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Such odd dimensions. Maybe we should see if there are some pendent style Led's that may work better.

Don't plant before you get the driftwood. You should tie moss, anubias and ferns to the wood along its entire length. That way you have plants up through the entire height of the tank.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

Get every thing first reason once every thing is there you will quickly see if you have to get more to achieve what you are wanting to do.

Keith:cat::cat:

lucasgg and ShadowMac like this.
  6. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Ok. I want to get the driftwood soon. I am still deciding on weather I should have it start from the bottom and sprout to the top (like your sketch) or the other way around where the "roots" go into the substrate. Currently I am thinking of how you sketched it.

Also I am going to the hardware store today to get some pool filter sand and tubing. Should I rinse the pool filter sand before or something? Thanks

7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

There is no written law saying it "must" be rinsed but, I certainly would just to make sure there is no rubbish in it at all.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.