1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First journal The "Dwayne Johnson"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by St3phen, Feb 22, 2016.

1. St3phen

St3phen Aspiring Aquascaper

@ShadowMac

Yes DIY c02. do you think this would work without c02. also how much GPH for filter should i have. i have a sunsun which about 110gph but i think its too weak. i also have it on algae infected tank. i notice that algae is on the spots with less flow. does low flow contribute to algae.

Sponsored link:

2. St3phen

Hi guys. just want to post this before plating a friend just sold me a tray of monte carlo for about 3 dollars its 4x7 tray. wannt to share this before planting here is my final layout.

Attached Files:

ShadowMac and jagermelifter like this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

DIY is better than no CO2. I think the citric acid method is better than the yeast generator.

Low flow does contribute to poor plant growth which contributes to algae. Algae in my experience doesn't care much about flow.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

RockvsWood, St3phen and Gary Murphy like this.
  4. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

I currently use the Citric Acid Co2 and it is a lot better than the Yeast method. You are able to turn it off at night and it lasts about 2-3 weeks with good pressure. Take a look at this its what im using.

s-l1000.jpg

St3phen and ShadowMac like this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn
    My only concern is when beginners with no experience at all and "Must Have" every thing immediately simply because as they would say "Every one is doing it" Mr Google told them.

Its a good tool to have providing you understand the Co2 process.

Keith:cat::cat:

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

As with most components of the hobby, but it doesn't mean they cannot nor shouldn't use it.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

7. Gary Murphy

I would definitely recommend a Co2 Drop Checker with a good 4DKH solution so you can monitor it and keep an eye on your fish. Your tank is the same size as mine and I would aim for 1 BPS as it seems to be the sweet spot on a 15 gallon.

8. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

I was running citric acid method at about 1 bps through a power head and getting good results. Going to have to monitor it and keep an eye on the pressure as it does build as you go through the solutions. at least mine seemed to. I would tilt bottle 1 to stop flow and let the pressure go back down for a couple days before stating the reaction again.

Now using pressurized at almost 2bps through atomic diffuser and still in safe zone in my 10gallon. All tank mates are fine including shrimp.

No doubt CO2 has a big impact on growth and is beneficial to the planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  9. St3phen

Hi guys thanks for the replies i have been using yeast c02 last me about 2 or 3 week at 3rd week as the weakest.

Gary Murphy is the citric acid stable at producing bubble that one of the problems i have on yeast

@ShadowMac thanks for the info. i was actually thinking of getting a power head or a wave maker. and cost more electricity.

@J Art you think i should invest in a pressurized CO2.

Right now guys i'm in big trouble as my temperature is at 34c inside my DSM. i can just see this setup failing so much right now.
    what can i do to lower my temp. really need help on this on.

heres the failing tank

SAM_0797.JPG SAM_0799.JPG

Gary Murphy likes this.
  10. keithgh

St3phen

Can I have some close up detail photos please with the lights off thank you.

St3phen likes this.
  11. St3phen

@keithgh ok i'll take some. post maybe tomorrow. i go with per stem planting because the MC that i got had some rot underneath

12. keithgh

St3phen

Thank you very much I will be waiting.

13. Gary Murphy

Looking very good. It basically transfers Cirtic Acid from bottle A to the Bicarbonate Soda in bottle B any time the pressure drops. The yeast method isnt very good but the Cirtic Acid has a needle valve that you can turn up and down to change the amount of Co2 been released and your able to turn it off at night.

I would never go back to the Yeast Co2 after using this.

diy-co2-bottle-configuration-baking-soda.jpg

14. Gary Murphy

Below is how to setup and use it.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DIY CO2 USING BAKING SODA AND CITRIC ACID

2 x 2L Plastic Bottles, e.g. Coke or Sprite.

Bottle A
    200g Citric Acid Powder.
    Mix with 600ml Water until dissolved.

Bottle B
    200g Baking Soda
    Mix with 200ml Water until dissolved.

To start, citric acid or vinegar is poured into bottle A, and a mixture of baking soda and water is poured in bottle B. The caps with tubing attached are the screwed onto the bottles.

The needle valve is opened, and bottle A is squeezed slightly to inject Citric Acid in to bottle B. This starts the generating of CO2. The needle vale is then closed to allow pressure to build in the bottles.

Mix bottle B by swirling the mixture around - you should see some bubbling. If not, squeeze some more citric acid from bottle A.

When the pressure gauge reads 1.5 bar in bottle A you can slowly open the needle valve to begin the flow of CO2 to your diffuser.

ShadowMac and St3phen like this.
  15. keithgh

Gary

Thank you for posting that information.

Gary Murphy likes this.
  16. St3phen

the option of turning it off is the best will try to look for supplier here thanks for this

Gary Murphy likes this.
  17. Gary Murphy

Take a look on ebay or Amazon they sell these kits. Turning off at night saves your Co2 and makes it safe for your fish :)

St3phen likes this.
  18. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

If you can afford to I'd say skip the DIY because you'll end up spending it on pressurized anyways if you're already considering it. DIY isn't necessarily cheap either, you'll have to keep buying supplies, although cheap in the beginning, over a period of time they do add up. If you get a good regulator you're set for life hopefully and just have to refill your co2 cylinder every half year or so depending on the size you get.

But diy citric acid method is a great way to go if you don't have the upfront $$.

St3phen, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  19. keithgh

J Art

That would be one of the best postings on DIY Co2 I have seen in all the years I have been associated with Aquarium Forums reason being it has been posted by a member who has a good knowledge of both Quality Co2 V DIY Co2

J Art and ShadowMac like this.
  20. St3phen

@keithgh here are some close up photos sorry i was unable to take shot with lights off. this dry start is 1 week old today. some of the plants are still like in shock leaves has not recovered yet but all stems shows great signs of roots. i'm actually amazed how root can grow in a day. since this are all cuttings with no root system. i'm happy how things are working here. SAM_0819.JPG SAM_0821.JPG SAM_0822.JPG SAM_0822.JPG SAM_0823.JPG