1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

First Attempt

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by skinni, Jun 20, 2008.

1. skinni

skinni New Member

well this is my first attempt at doing a planted tank. Figured i would share with you guys. Please dont be to hard on me lol.

all i have done so far is the hardscape, i gotta get some plants but im not 100% sure which plants i wanna go with. Ill also be adding some more light before i add the plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I feel the log is to big for the tank. What plants are you planning on using??

3. skinni

skinni New Member

to be perfectly honest im not really 100% sure yet. I know that sounds bad but i just havent decided. I wanna use some larger plants in the back left behind the wood as i want that area to be rather thick. i wanna bring that out about half way down the wood. then i kinda wanna do some type of carpet over the majority of the right side, kinda like a field.

4. trenac

trenac New Member

It's a good start, with potential... I to feel the wood is too big & straight, plus it really should not be touching the glass. Maybe you could find a smaller peice or break the one you have in half or so.

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I hate to say it, but the piece of wood looks like a over-sized rolling pin that fell into the tank. :p I say that in friendly respect. I do like the color and sand island separations. I think there should be more sloping and high to the substrate if you can manage it. Because of the bright colors of the sand, I could imagine a nice stumpy looking piece of wood on the right, with anubias covering the majority of that area.

-John N.

6. skinni

skinni New Member

thanks for the suggestions guys, i too think the wood needs to come out. just gotta figure out what i wanna do in its place. maybe some stones or some slate if i can find it.

7. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Skinni, I have to agree that the piece of wood you have placed is somewhat large for the tank. However, a couple manzanita branches in that tank would look sweet. It'd be cool if the sand was left the way it is and maybe all around the right side, you could have somewhat of a grass land.

Keep it up!

8. skinni

skinni New Member

ok so i decided to make a couple little trees out of some twigs and remove the huge log (or rolling pin lol). Anyone got any suggestion on what plants would grow well on these little trees?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. iam_koi

iam_koi New Member

looking better.. nice wood.. i can imagine moss hanging on it. :)

10. skinni

skinni New Member

added a couple of plants, Still not sure what i wanna do completely but i think i wanna make the the back thickly planted then i want to leave the area from just behind the tree on the right to the front with a carpet and some moss on the tree so it looks like a tree in a small open patch in the woods or something. (just me thinking out loud). Thats a moneywort on the left and a frill on the right.

[​IMG]